World cup widget

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reno404, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Reno404 macrumors member

Hey folks!

Just wondering... is there a widget that'll display the scores of the Germany World Cup 2006 live? Is anybody here able to create that? Maybe getting the info from sites like livescore.com or so?

Anybody can help me out on that?

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

3. kpanda macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

These don't show the scores and such, but they will get the World Cup on to Dashboard. They show the time using the official rosters and the team jerseys. Not much use, just decorative...

World Cup Widgets

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, a WC widget that would show live scores - would be awesome! :D

i'll be keeping an eye out for anything. but it's nearly started now, i've kinda got a feeling that if anyone was thinking of doing this they've passed on it now since it's too late...

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thanks for the link, I might just have to download the England one. The squad is a little out of date, though – Green's out injured so he's been replaced by Scott Carson. I can live with that, though. :)

6. kpanda macrumors newbie

It has now been updated to include Carson.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fantastic! Would I be right in thinking that these widgets are your work, kpanda? If so, I didn't realise earlier – apologies if I sounded a little picky and pedantic with my Green/Carson comment. I'm just still a little annoyed that Sven went with Carson rather than our 'keeper... ;)

The England widget has now been added to my Dashboard, and a cursory glance tells me it's just gone five minutes to Downing. :)

8. kpanda macrumors newbie

They would in fact be my modest contribution to World Cup fever.

I'm actually really glad that you pointed that out about Green/Carson, I had missed that with everything that's been going on lately. No doubt there will probably more moves that I have missed.

I still find it strange that there haven't been any actual World Cup widgets made, although there is a half decent program available at http://www.e-link.it/germany2006/, it's the same one that was out in 2002.

I will attempt to get as many of these little widgets done as I can, but believe me they take ages with some of the fonts...

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I downloaded and tried this, changed the timezone, tried to save it and got the error:

An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled.
    The application must shut down.

What's up with that?
    :::::
    Seems to be OK now. It happened while it was in the dock.

10. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I am sure some one could make one to pull info off livescore.com

11. mischief909 macrumors newbie

Try the FOX Sports widget

I've had the FOX sports widget for quite sometime and it covers all sports including the world cup. it's great and it has full color flags and pretty up to date scores. you can find it at the apple widget site or the fox sports site.

12. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Link?

13. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

The BBC is streaming the matches BUT you can't stream it if you're in the USA, because, ESPN is blocking them from doing so. Which is BULLS@#$! Reason being ESPN is only broadcasting NOT streaming online and it's not even offered as a paid service. Don't they get most of us are actually working at the times the games are on. KnuckleHeadz!

There is a solution that I came across but I believe it's only Windows based. Let me know if anybody finds another solution.

http://www.sopcast.com/

~e

14. kpanda macrumors newbie

I'm not entirely certain but I don't think you can get the FOX Sports widget anymore due to liscensing and their affiliation with MSN etc...

I could be wrong but I've not seen it available for a while.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I may work on one tomorrow. I'll post a link here if I get it up and running.

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

a widget like this would be amazing! Luckely, I got Tivo :D and the Tivo is hooked up to my home network and I can stream the stuff over to my pc to save

17. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Its not like id want to watch the US discrace our country again infront of the world like they did on Monday. Doubt saturday is going to be any different. Ill still watch though...

18. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Okay, here's my rough first draft:

DEJOware's World Cup Scores Widget

It needs a bunch more work that I will continue later today. First on the list: auto-refresh of the scores!

After that, I may add multilingual support. If you have any other ideas, shoot me a PM.

And my thanks to any masochists willing to beta-test this widget! :D

20. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Actually I think the reason you can't view the BBC stream is because you are not from the UK, and as a publically funded service it cannot justify spending money on broadcasting it anywhere but the UK license paying computers, as legally you must have a TV License to watch the world cup on a computer from the BBC.

This is the same reason the new BBC International site is likely to carry advertising to fund it, where as the UK version will be advert free, as its funded by its users.

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for the work. Here's what it looks like on my Dashboard (PBook 10.4.6)
    [​IMG]

At the moment it's only a black box.

22. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It works for me :)

Looks good, my only recommendation is if the time could be changed, so that it would be displayed in my nation's time slot :)

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Patience is a virtue.....

[​IMG]

I went back to the dashboard after a few moments and there it was!

Looks great, thanks for the effort.

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

A black box, eh? Hmm, strange. Can you access this web page: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/? Cuz that's where it pulls its data from.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how the widget would learn what time zone you're in. And a dropdown with choices on the flipside preferences would be a huge list, if it was to list all the known time zones, right?

25. Narayan macrumors newbie

Great widget. Was really looking for somthing like this. Hopefully it will keep me away from the tv to actually get some work done these weeks.
    I'll test it on the Spain match starting in a few minutes. One remark; the lineup link for this match doesn't seem to work, whereas the other links (preview) do work.

Good job though!