World Cup

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ensign Paris, Jun 2, 2002.

1. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I am not sure if this will interest Americans (Do you like Soccer?)

but anyway, who do you think will win?

I would start a poll but I would probably cut out someones team and they would get mad with me :)

Anyway, I hope England (Svengland) will win, I am not sure if we but if we go out my interest will drop in football till the Euro cup in 2004 :)

Ensign

2. macrumors 68030

britboy

Well this morning was a major disappointment :( Was that the best we could do?

I'm not sure england will qualify from the group we've got, so you may find yourself losing interest in the WM pretty soon ensign. I'll still be rooting for spain though (my adopted second country :)).

Argentina are my favourites to win it this time round. They're a class team, and will take quite some beating.

3. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Who won? Did England win or lose? Man that France Senegal match was crazy! My teachers in school are all watching the World Cup, During class time!!!

4. macrumors 68030

britboy

Neither. England drew 1-1 with sweden... :mad:

In the other match in our group, argetina beat nigeria 1-0. That was a close one!

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the US doesn't play its first game till later this week. There's been a lot of press about the US team (relative to the others, but that should be expected). I'm just hoping they make it through the first set of games and clinch their group, and they only have South Korea, Poland and Portugal, not exactly heavy hitters (what's up with that?)

Ouch for England this morning, but its better than loosing to Senegal, France is really hurting and their next game with Uruguray should be really intense, both teams need the win to stay in. And don't count England out, if they can win all the rest of their games they sould have no problem securing their group.

6. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I'd like to see the US make it to the next round. I think we can take Poland. But the S. Koreans are gonna be pumped w/home field advantage. And Portugal well... Hopefully there'll be some underestimation of the US squad and that'll give'em the edge they need to make some upsets.

EDIT: Dukestreet, Portugal is ranked 5th in the world by FIFA. US is 13th BTW.

Lethal

BTW I don't care if I live in America or not IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL DAMNIT, NOT SOCCER!!! ;)

7. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the us will follow in other us teams' footsteps and embarrass themselves.

one time i was in germany and me and my bro convinced some young kid that we were on the us soccer team. i think i was tab ramos...

ha

8. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Italy

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Italy win it all. They've got the best goalie in the world. The Ireland-Cameroon match was pretty good on Saturday. Both of those squads looked good, and will probably advance from their region. Cameroon has been on fire lately. Still, I'd like to see the English win it. Premier League started me on soccer (MAN U FOR LIFE) and it'd be nice to see them do well just for nostalgia's sake.

9. macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Italy

I think you're forgetting that germany are in the same group as those two, and won their first match 8-0 (ok, saudi arabia aren't exactly a major force in football, but hey, 8 goals is good!). It's a shame ireland have sent home Roy Keane... (you should know him, being a fan of the dreaded red devils and all :D)

10. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Italy

Oh my, you're right. I did forget all about Germany. I suppose I should pull for my homeland and all. As for Keane...heh. Damn shame about him going home. Ireland made a bad decision there. Oh, and do I detect a bit of distaste with my Premier team of choice? If so it's quite alright...as long as you're not one of those damned Arsenal fans. ;)

11. macrumors 68020

Beej

Who will win?

AUSTRALIA!

What's that? Oh yeah... we didn't get in :(

Oh well. I'll put my money on Man U. :D

12. macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: Re: Italy

as a matter of fact..... :D

13. Guest

garybUK

Nice to see some Man U fans!

Hey,

Nice to see some Man U Fans!!! I originally come from Manchester :p I have season tickets to Old Trafford :) .. I don't think England will win it, but i think they will go through this round.....

In England we are still "High" on the 1-5 win against Germany and its on all the 7 sports channels on SKY like every day!

Oh well... Good Luck every country :p

14. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Italy

And here I was starting to like you. Damn shame really... ;)

15. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

As long as England advances I will be happy! They are in a really tough group! I wish they had not tied!

16. macrumors G3

Re: Nice to see some Man U fans!

England are still on a high about 1966...... :rolleyes: :p

It pains me to say it, but personally.... I don't think England have a chance........ :(

I reckon it'll be either Italy, France or Argentina.........

But hey... what do I know about football....... I support Coventry City....... :D

17. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Hey, the worldcup is nothing without Brazil, of course they are gonna win again. I would like to see the US playing.

18. guv
    macrumors newbie

italy will win, beating brazil in the final, france will draw with denmark and get left behind. england will be folly to argentain who will loose to brazil.....

but dam scotland rnt in it

19. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

USA, USA!

how did they beat portugal? man.... they must've bribed them or something

those silly yankees were supposed to get housed!

USA! USA!

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Whoo hoo, I'm sorry I missed the game, I forgot about it and found out at work. If we can beat South Korea next we can probably make it into the next round, but they might have home field advantage, and a crazy crowd to cheer them on.

21. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you joined the team? man, you sure do it all....

ahh, i think they'll blow it, as usual.

and i forgot about it too. i'll try to catch the next one. what day is it?

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Monday morning, the 10th, 2:30 AM

Friends of mine are going to a party that morning, might have to go myself, but work will be tough later....

23. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

a party in the morning.

interesting.

why would work be tough later eh???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Knowing I would miss "both" US matches (live and taped) I set my VCR to tape it in the AM. Well... my dumbass tape ABC, not ESPN2. Perfect end to a perfect day.

I can't be to upset though, since the US f**king won baby! I know the US isn't a world football power yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Lethal

25. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, we did win the world cup, once. I think it was in '36....

we've just had a dry spell;)