World greatest hack!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Jun 6, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

check this out

do this if you want to run VPC and mega speed like a real PC, its a little tricky but you can get it done

If you need to REALLY run Windows 95 at it's fastest on your Mac, do this with VPC: On another partition create a bare bones System (sorry, without another partition, this will not work), remove EVERY extension except the Appearance extension, and every control panel except the Appearance control panel. Then move the VPC preference file into the new System's preference folder. Also move the VirtualPC app itself into the System folder. Remove the Finder from the System, throw it in the trash and delete it. Use ResEdit to change the VPC app's 'creator' code to MACS and 'type' to FNDR. Then rename VirtualPC™ to Finder. Then reboot holding down "ShiftOption-Command-Delete", this will force your Mac to boot from a System other than your startup disk. !!DO NOT CHANGE THE STARTUP DISK IN THE STARTUP DISK CONTROL PANEL!! If you do, it will be murder trying to get it to boot back to MacOS. Now what you have is Windows 95 booting instead of MacOS, and the performance increase is more than double! Alas, you will not be able to use the MacOS while you are running VPC like this, but you WILL still be able to share ANY Mac folder!, but if you NEED to use Win95, this is the best way to do it Now to get back to the MacOS, just quite VPC as normal, saving it where you left off, and then once it has saved the data to the disc, you just force-restart "Control-Command-PowerKey", and your Mac will safely boot back to MacOS. BTW, all networking is STILL available from the PC using it this way, it's great! On my 8500/180 I am getting speeds that my PC loving friend says are faster than his 200MMX, so believe me, it kicks ***! If you want to play games on VPC, this is the way to do it.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Okay, I give in, even though it's Winblows that IS really cool. :D Does it work with any version of VPC? (for example, 2.x or 3.x?)

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

okay that sounds pretty cool... but I just want to ask... does it work with Win 98 or 2000, or even XP?? It would do fine with 98... just that 95 is too... old for what I want to run.

Thanks!

But hey, how did you find this hack?? Did you try it yourself?

irmongoose

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Has anyone pulled this off yet? What about with Windows 98, 2000, or gasp XP?

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i tried it out about 2 years ago. worked perfectly.

you can do a similiar hack to run the os9 finder in osx.

6. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm doing it now with VPC 5 and windows 98

let you know what happens

7. clubmedia macrumors regular

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

when i first did this hack two-three years ago my powerbook was cutting edge. i could run windows apps on my laptop faster than most peecee could run them natively... this was before the 500mhz slow down. i did it mostly just to show off to my pc friends. so mostly i was running games. i also used it for some... "internet security issues" yes thats a good way of putting it. havent touched vpc in a long time. i think im just as curious as you to know what people are doing with it today.

9. AlejandroGonzo macrumors member

Hey, that's pretty cool. If you can play PC games with this at a decent speed, I'm sold, and will be switching from the darkside to a Ti800

Well, can you?

10. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Hey mac15 - I think I've been to that hotline server, too ;)

11. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

OF tweak for startup-problems

I've been trying this hack with both VPC 4 and 5, but unfortunately I haven't been able to use Winblows with them yet. The main reason is that my VPC Disk image was created with VPC 5, so I couldn't get it to work in VPC 4, but I managed to start up with VPC 4 as "Finder", so a correct image file will work. I can't start up with VPC 5 as "Finder", though. I extracted the app from the VPC package and did all the necessary changes to the file, but when the comp starts up and tries to launch VPC 5 ("Finder") it only displays a gray menubar while the harddisk seems to work continously, like a loop.

P.S. if you can't get the comp to start up with the VPC hack, just open the startup disk control panel in OS X and select the partition with the fake OS. But if you do this you have to do a Open Firmware tweak to get the comp to start up in OS X again. And this is how:

Before you do anything you have to find out which partition your primary OS is on. So in OS X, open Terminal, type su and your root password, and then type pdisk, and when the CLI asks for top level command type L. Then you'll see a list of a lot of partitions and you have to write down the number of the partition with your primary OS. You have to use this number later in Open Firmware.
    When you restart the comp after you have chosen the VPC partition as startup disk you won't be able to get the comp to start up in OS X by holding the command key and X down at startup. So you have to get into Open Firmware.
    Hold down command-option-O-F immideately when the comp starts to get into Open Firmware.
    Then release the keys when you see the terminal-like interface on the screen.
    Type the following:

setenv boot-device hd:[number of primary OS-partition],\\:tbxi

Press enter.

Then type:

setenv boot-command boot

Press enter. And type mac-boot, then enter, and your Mac will startup in OS X on your primary partition. This OF tweak will work in every situation if your Mac won't boot up from the correct partition.

NB! This tweak only works if you've got the VPC partition and your primary OS-partition on the SAME DISK!

If anyone has been succesful in getting VPC 5 to work with this great hack, please let me know!

12. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

It won't work with VP5 because its a package and the finder won't work
    it will work with VP4 which I hope to get soon

13. whawho macrumors regular

I use windows for apps I can't get on a mac (Access) and for testing websites in a PC browser.

14. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

That's not the problem! Look inside the package and you'll find a folder called MacOSClassic with an application called Virtual PC (!) inside. The rest of the contents in the package is for OS X. You can extract the app and put it anywhere outside the package and it will still work.

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh, and I forgot to say in my earlier post, I don't think this is the 'world's greatest hack' ;)

I'm not sure what it, but I don't think it would have anything to to with making window$ running fast on a Mac! :)

16. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

how do I do that?
    do you need an app or is it drag n drop stuff....sounds dumb but who cares

17. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Do you know how to use the Terminal? You can 'cd' into an app and see its contents etc.

18. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

just control-click on the package and choose "Show package contents"... That's easiest.

19. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

20. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

It works!!!!!!

you don't have to remove all the extensions at first, you have to open the VPC package and take out the VPC for classic and then change it in RESEDIT and rename it finder and then bam you have a PCMAC :)

Its good cause I can play all my mates games

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

How fast is it? Do you see a noticable difference? Is it worth all of the work? Also, could you provide step by step instructions if you think it is worth it.

22. AlejandroGonzo macrumors member

Yeah, everything this guy above me said. Can you play any game on it, no limitations? Counterstrike for example?

23. Choppaface macrumors 65816

24. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

its about 20 to 30% faster
    app launch is better and games are kickass, I have played quake1 on it and no probs it just depends on your mac....I will do some benchmarks for you all
    does anybody know of any apps that do this on windows

25. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

try SiSoft Sandra. Download it from Versiontracker.com.

How did you get VPC 5 to work? I've tried for a long time now, but my Mac just freezes when it tries to launch VPC 5 as "Finder". Maybe it depends on where you have the PC disk image file. I have it on another partition than the app itself, but with VPC 4 I was able to browse for disk images on all my drives. Maybe I have damaged preferences files or something...

Can you play games with hardware accelerated gaphics? I suppose not, and that will exclude the possibility for playing games such as Counter Strike.