world of P2P

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, Oct 22, 2004.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

In this great world of P2P's, which network/app really shines and which are fading? I've used Poisoned, XFactor, Limewire and Direct Connect. I've had most success in the past with DC but as of late, other than music, there's very few hubs that are Mac friendly or Mac at all. The other apps are really hit or miss. Someone suggested BitTorrent but I've tried it and can't really grasp it. Can anyone explain how to get that going and what apps there are for OSX. Thanks.

~e

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

3. pyrrhusmj macrumors newbie

One thing to remind everyone, watch what you do with p2p. I'm a lawyer and my primary job is dealing with infringers for a nationally known ISP. The copyright agents are getting very agressive post RIAA v. Verizon and are also looking at legal theories to sue people based on honeypots they have set up. And with the induce act being around the corner, things are about to get really nasty.

4. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Thanks for the warning. Good to know. Please, stick around and keep us posted. Much appreciated. ;)

~e

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Bittorrent is the best for large files, where Posioned is more for music and smaller files. Places like www.suprnova.org are good places to pick up torrents and download from multiple peers.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

...and speaking of Bittorrent. Azureus and Tomato Torrent are two nice clients available for Mac OS X.

Azureus is java based and somewhat resource hungry, but it got tons of features.

Tomato Torrent is lighter, but have several useful features compared to the standard BitTorrent client for Mac.

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I downloaded "Azureus" and for some retarted reason, couldn't get the damn thing to work. Can someone explain how it works? Once you open the program, then what? <LOL> Thanks!

~e