World of War-craft - opinions

Discussion in 'Games' started by KooBrewoP, Jan 24, 2005.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

May 19, 2004
    behind you!
    I have enjoyed playing games like Baldurs Gate and want more, how does WOW compare? everyone seems to be going on about it and i just wanted to hear your opinion before shelling out my cash.
  2. white1827 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2005
    To be perfectly honest, WoW is pretty much the epitomy of computer gaming to date. It's one of those games that will floor you from time to time with the amount of detail and quality built into it.

Just don't pick a server that says "high" at peak play times and you will be fine.
  3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Best advise would be to find a friend that is playing it and see if you can try it out for a couple hours. Most people I know really enjoy the game but I also know people who bought the game and dislike it.
  4. dizastor macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2001
    Los Angeles
    WoW is completely immersive and life-sucking... If you have never played an MMO game (Everquest, Lineage 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, etc.) then you may not enjoy it. WoW is not in any way shape or form "Warcraft 4", so if that is what you are looking for... stick with Warcraft 3. Many first time MMO players often come back after playing WoW saying "is that all there is... run here... run there.. kill this kill that... quest after quest?".

If $50 is a major expense, and you are unsure then I would suggest avoiding it. If $50 wont break your back, then I suggest you buy it and try it... odds are you'll have 4 alt characters within a month and you'll be completely hooked.

For the Horde!
    (On Deathwing)
  5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    I find the game to be alot of fun. I took her home the very minute she was legal. But unfortunately i neglect her because of other obligations. I only have two lvl 25's to show for all the money i've dumped into it. I just can't bring myself to stop playing, even though i don't have lots of time. It's a beautiful game, and you'll love it. Everyone does... haven't met a gamer who was willing to invest in the game who didn't like it.

The game does sorta reward those who don't play frequently... you get more XP when you finaly do decide to play again.

I also don't see anyone getting board with this game. You could create the same character with different names and still have entirely different gameplay
  6. jasylonian macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    this is all good and well, but when will blizzard let me buy the game?
  7. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    Well, I can say that I have not even bothered with another game since I started playing WoW, which I pre-oredered and have been playing since day of release. The game is incredible.

To illustrate how addicitve it is, I have somehow managed to build a lev 42 priest which has taken me over 11 days of playing to accomplish (over 250 hours in 2 months). The amount of sleep I am getting has dropped drastically, as I also work and go to school full-time. Buyer beware :D
  8. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004
    Ditto. I haven't had a social life since late November when this game was released. I see no signs of my addiction to this game waning.
  9. Quobobo macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    ...yeah, that's pretty much why I stopped playing.
  10. mraudet macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    since i started playing my wife no longer speaks to me and my dog ignores me. man, i miss that dog.
  11. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
  12. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004

HAHAHAHA :) :p ;) :D :eek:
  13. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
  14. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
    so kinda fun then ? :)
  15. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I was about to start a "let's sing the praises of WoW" thread b/c I haven't heard enough of it on here yet.

Honestly, I don't even look at IGN or Gamespy anymore for reviews or updates on other games b/c I don't even see myself firing up one of the consoles anytime soon. Can this game on my 12" PB really be that much better than anything coming from the Xbox on my 55" HD tv? Yes.
  16. BOOMBA macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2001
    never played it

how does it stack up against the best game of all time, Civilization III?
  17. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I don't think anything stacks up to World of Warcraft. The only other game I was this addicted to was Asheron's Call.
  18. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    Yeah, Asheron's Crack was definitely killer. I had to go cold turkey because it was taking up WAY too much of my time.

WoW is better than Asheron's Call, and certainly much, much more friendly to casual (i.e. an hour or two here and there) gamers. Many WoW quests are short enough that you can play for an hour or two (or even half an hour) and feel like you've accomplished a fair bit. In contrast, for Asheron's Call (the only other MMORPG I've played) it always felt like you got nothing done without logging some serious hours online.
  19. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Yep I agree. AC was the first MMORPG I played and I was filled with a sense of wonderment for quite some time. The amount of control over player stats has not been nearly the same in any other game. While I do think WoW is better, I would like to see some aspects of AC in it some day. In AC, you could dodge projectiles by hiding behind terrain or buildings. In WoW players and monsters shoot through anything, which is highly unrealistic. I would also like to see some sort of weather system like AC had. I loved the Item Magic spells, particularly the summon portals and recall spells. WoW only has the soulstone and it has an hour cool down.
  20. rasp macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Easthampton, MA
    I, as it seems many others, got the game day one and haven't looked to play any other games since. I used to be really into shooters, was considering half life 2.

If it says anything, they sold their one year guestimate of 600,000 since release on Nov. 23. Sooooo.... Unless you can convince someone to part with their copy, there are no copies for sale at the moment.
  21. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

Jul 11, 2004
    I bought World of Warcraft back in December. I was absolutely hooked for 2 weeks. I could not stop. I didn't see any of my friends. My only friend was my glowing computer screen. But then I suddenly realized that the game wasn't really going to change. That I was going to continue going on the same types of quests to level up to get stronger to go on more quests. It was a never-ending cycle. Once I realized this, I couldn't play anymore. I'd try... but I always ended up just quitting within 20 minutes. Now I'm glad I've stopped playing. I once again hang out with friends and have fun. I no longer sit in my basement in the dark killing Rabid Thistle Bears. I have a life again, and I'm thankful.
  22. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    The key to not doing this is to... DUN DUN DUN... play with friends! I balance game and real-life quite easily because almost all of my friends are playing too. We get together in one apartment and have big LANs playing WoW in our guild together. I'd also say that just because the game experience doesn't "change" exactly, it does get fun at higher levels. I successfully fended off a Tauren Shaman today for the first time, and I got my level 40 mount. Instanced dungeon crawls for loot with friends are a blast, and the crafting system is really fun as well. Plus once you hit 60 and start doing really hard quests that tie into the whole Warcraft story... that's really cool. Basically, the low levels can get kinda repetitive, but playing with friends makes the whole experience that much more fun.
  23. wcalderini macrumors member

Dec 7, 2004
    I would love to respond...

...but I have items in the AH that I'm about to lose my bid on. I'm at 29 gold with only 4 levels to go before I qualify for my mount and I need to make some cash. I now calculate my paychecks in gold pieces, I'm dissapointed that a crocolisk steak burrito is NOT on my Taco Bell Value menu, before I begin discussions with people I ask them whether they are PVP enabled, and last night I spent an hour in my office parking lot rubbing my hands together trying to "heartstone" home.
    I Need help.
  24. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003

See what i mean about the crack ;)
  25. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    I've been high enough of a level for some time now (currently 42) and have a whopping 4gp to my name :( Spell costs are killing me. I did train the ability to ride a Ram (17gp, with faction discount), so I need to save roughly 70gp before being able to actually buy a mount!

Yes, this is a good case and point about the game's addictive nature.