World of Warcraft 12" iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by supergrandma, Oct 11, 2005.

1. supergrandma macrumors member

Can anyone tell me how a stock 12" iBook would handle WoW? I would be very willing to turn the graphic settings to minimum. Thanks.

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

You won't need to put them all to minimum. I run wow every day on a 1ghz iBook. I have the textured turned up and run it at native resolution. The only thing that you will want to worry about is upgrading the ram. Aim for around 1gig.

3. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot. Would 512 handle the game if WoW is the only program running? (I'll eventually upgrade to 1 GB, but for now, Apple is too expensive.

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Yes, don´t get your ram from Apple, use crucial.com or similar

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it will run, at about 8-10fps. 1gb will double or triple that number.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

you arent buying your ram from apple are you :eek:

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Should work fine, but do go for 1GB of RAM from crucial.com (or other reputable vender) when you have the $$$.

8. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

I'm playing the game with 1.2GHz 12" iBook and 768MB RAM + the lowly 32MB R9200 GPU. The game runs at steady low but playable fps. No swapping or anything, seems like every time a new instance or a region opens up after zeppelin or ship I'm the first person there, so I guess the OS X version handles memory better. But after you quit the game everything is OS X is a bit laggy for a little time so I'd still fancy more RAM if possible.

I remember a friend of mine was constantly complaining about his 512MB windows laptop how it swaps and stutters because of it, but now he has 1024MB and everything is good.

And the game is very enjoyable altough I was affraid at first. I wouldn't have believed that this piece of ancient technology would run the game decently.

9. unfaded macrumors 6502

I play on a 900 mhz G3. Which isn't even above the minimum requirements. I run everything on low and it can get slow, but hey, I'm not even supposed to be able to play the game! And I do, quite frequently. It gets pretty bad in towns with a lot of people.

Then again, I haven't gone to Ironforge yet. Eek.

10. JasonL macrumors regular

I used to play WoW on the PB listed in my signature. With 512MB of RAM I thought that the game was not playable. At 1GB it was fair.

The one point where all the Apple notebooks will be downright awful are in endgame instances, such as the Molten Core. Several people in my guild stopping playing a while back when we started focusing on MC as their systems just couldn't handle it. Many of these were PC users with systems significantly more powerful than any PB.

But for casual play any recent Mac notebook with some extra RAM will work, albeit not incredibly well.

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Isn't that strange? Same happens to me. I know my machine is pretty fast but I seem to beat other users every single time. :eek:

12. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

My dual 2.0 G5 w/ 1GB, and a 9650, has a hardtime with MC sometimes. By hardtime I mean less than 20-15fps.. I think its the graphics card.

13. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I went to the Apple store to find out how much 1 gig would be...as I suspected, it was really, really expensive. What surprised me was the Apple Store guy telling me that I should buy it somewhere else... :eek:

Pretty cool.

I play WoW on a 15" PB 1.5 ghz with 512 ram, and it's fine.

14. JasonL macrumors regular

I get better frame rates with my 9800 SE than a guy in my guild with a 9650 and otherwise identical Power Mac. I'd say that you are right, or that that, at least, is part of the issue.

15. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

16. smacktad macrumors newbie

My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/wow.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for world of warcraft. He told me it was against the rules for wow to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Well you must be new to online gaming or at least Blizzard. Cheating isn't tolerated in any way shape or form, and it will get your account banned. It ruins the game for everyone!

18. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Well, would you ever have gone there again if he hadn't and if you found out afterwards that he ripped you off? So telling you to go somewhere else was the only reasonable thing he could do...

19. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I also run WoW on a computer below the min specs. IF is frustrating, but I've learned to deal with it. Right now I have one character above 50, two above 40, and one above 30.

lasuther

20. persianpunisher macrumors regular

That is cause you are a bastard

21. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Just wanted to chime in my experience, I got my wife a 14" iBook so we'd have a laptop and so we could play WoW together, it ran it just fine most of the time on the stock 512, IF was a pain but normal gameplay was fine. I just maxed out the RAM to 1.5GB and WOW (No pun intended) what a difference. She can now actually get to the bank and auction house in IF with only a reasonable ammount of lag. If anyone is playing WoW on an iBook definatily up the RAM you'll thank yourself later.

22. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

THe minimum specs on WOW are 256 on PC, i think it should be bumped to 512. That should be like standard for playing WoW on any CPU. :cool:

23. RobHague macrumors 6502

I noticed, for me anyways, on a 2.3 G5 with a 6800GT, that turning the view distance down impacted performance quite significantly. More so than resolution, texture detail or AA/AF.