World of Warcraft and 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by orijinal, Aug 27, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Okay so I've read all the posts that it's playable/enjoyable, etc.

I was just wondering how much bandwidth it uses? At the place I'm staying at there's a 500mb download/1000mb upload per 24 hours, so is it worth it?

Also, how hot does the PB run while playing? I don't want it to melt on me after a couple hours play.

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Melt no burn you yes. :(

3. dae5dia macrumors newbie

I use a 12" to play WoW. The fan kicks into overdrive, it's really loud, but I didn't ever think the heat was really that uncomfortable. I also don't usually set the computer on my lap. So, it could be all about how you are planning to play it. But yes, the computer gets hot.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I find it unplayable on my sister's 1.33Ghz powerbook(256mb of RAM) with every setting on the lowest value.

It gets very hot, the lag is horrendous, and it took me 5 minutes to get from the from entrance of Orgrimmar to 'The Drag' within Orgrimmar. I know that RAM is a major factor in the poor performance, but I can't even imagine playing WoW seriously on this system.

scem0

5. shortyjj macrumors regular

I still say it plays "fine" on my 1.33 with 768 megs of RAM. Good enough to have played, oh, 300 hours at least (and lag would be a big issue for my druid or priest trying to heal)

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

err no kidding.....

anyways I play WoW on my new iBook and it runs fine. Even when I go into Ogrimmar it's not unbearable but I try to stay away from it if I can. I think it'll run great for your everyday xping/questing.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if you know that ram is the limiting factor and you have determined wow is unplayable on 256mb of ram, i won't say what i think of you but i'm sure you could figure it out via deductive reasoning.

at 512mb of ram on this computer graphics lag pretty significantly, especially in flight or when hearthing to orgrimmar during peak game play hours.

at 1gb i have found everything, including alterac valley to be super smooth. i can now actually turn up the terrain distance and some settings (full screen bloom is still not working properley).

if you are trying to do anything on a machine running mac os x and 256mb of ram you have no idea how important ram is.

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if you know that ram is the limiting factor and you have determined wow is unplayable on 256mb of ram, i won't say what i think of you but i'm sure you could figure it out via deductive reasoning.

at 512mb of ram on this computer graphics lag pretty significantly, especially in flight or when hearthing to orgrimmar during peak game play hours.

at 1.25gb i have found everything, including alterac valley to be super smooth. i can now actually turn up the terrain distance and some settings (full screen bloom is still not working properley).

if you are trying to do anything on a machine running mac os x and 256mb of ram you have no idea how important ram is.

i used to think it was my computer just not being the latest processor etc. and was contemplating buying a pc for gaming. i am very glad i maxed out my ram, wow is so much better.

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Try playing on a 2.7 G5 with 256mb RAM, it will still suck. Try doing anything on your computer at all and 256mb will suck. You have some guts with a setup like that. :)

As others have said, RAM is essential for this game. It will run on a 550 G4 TiBook with 512mb of RAM. ~1fps, but it runs nonetheless.

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

First played the Mac version of WoW on my Mac mini with 512MB. Total crap, couldn't take a gryphon or go in IronForge (or any place with >10 players) without the HD swapping like mad (having a 4200RPM HD didn't help).

With my new setup (1GB RAM, 5400RPM HD) there's no real problem going anywhere. I still keep all settings on off/lowest (including 800x600) but it runs at about 20-25FPS average. Yep, on a Radeon 9200/32MB. :D

Good enough for me.

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would recommend getting one of those Targus cool pads or something similar. You can pick one up for around $30 and they really get the job done.

13. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

plays "fine" on my pb

WoW plays fine on my 17"PB with no heat issue at all...there is alot of lag in IF and MC raids (very very annoying). i never got the chance to try WoW out with 1 gig..cos just before i got wow one of my 512 ram chips went bust. the fps is deffinatly playable for a RPG (first person shooter and id be crying). but on the most part there is fairly little lag.

its not new even...its only 1.33ghz with a 9600 with 64meg vram