World Of Warcraft and www.apple.com/games

Discussion in 'Games' started by i_am_a_cow, Nov 27, 2003.

1. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

Blizzard.com posted info on the "skill" abilities in World of Warcraft yesterday...

It's gonna be super addictive, like even more than I hear everquest is.

www.blizzard.com/wow/

:eek: wow it looks great thank goodness it's for mac.

Also, I thought more people should know about Apple's games page, which has some pretty good info on who's developing games for mac and what games are coming out.

It's at www.apple.com/games/

-peace

2. Versello macrumors regular

Ohhh yeh I'm gonna sell my soul for WoW...sorta speak.

Even tho the gfx don't look as realistic as say, EQ2, they do look sharp and very consistent. Maybe it'll actually run on my Powerbook :eek:

3. sethypoo macrumors 68000

So wait, this World of Warcraft is the next Warcraft game?

4. Versello macrumors regular

Well, it will be the next Warcraft game but not the next Warcraft game that most ppl know of (the strategy game). It'll be a massive multiplayer online game instead.

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Forget it. They want me to pay 50-60bucks for the game and pay them a fee every month to play it online? just like i said to everquest and sims online - GO SUCK A LEMON.

6. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

they have good reason to charge a monthly fee they will be updating the game constantly adding new content etc, plus that much bandwith plus 24/7 customer support costs $$$

anyways World of Warcraft will be my life when it comes out!!!! I cant wait.

7. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Justify anyway you want. But this is not a small price to pay to play an RPG game.
    If you are feeling Fat And Sassy, go ahead and get it. ;)

8. Versello macrumors regular

$50-60? Is that stated? Most cost around $39-49.

For a monthly fee of like, ~$10-12, I mean, COME ON. That's what, the price of two Happy Meals a month?

Well I for sure am definately feeling "fat and sassy".

Good luck playing those repetitive single player games and trying to have a conversation with an NPC ;)

Sure you can play multiplayer games like Neverwinter Nights, but even that doesn't compare to the sheer amount of content in a massive multiplayer online game.

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Have you been smoking something lately? As long as i can rememer blizzard, all their games come out at 50-60 bucks range, especially for Mac.
    Second, life adds up, you feel that 13 bucks every month is great deal for playing a game and you feel you can afford it? Go ahead, I'm not gonna stop u.
    Just don't forget, an average life spin of a good multiplayer game is around 2-3 years. Now, besides paying 50-60 bucks for the game, you willl end up losing hundreds of dollars just to end up having nothing at the end.
    I've had this sort of discussion before and i know your next response will be: "Well, if you can't afford it, don't buy it" (only you may say it in a more vulgar manner.)
    Which was pretty much my point from the beginning.
    For $13/mo im much rather have a satellite radio active in my house and in my car so i don't waste money in itunes
    :p

Cheers...

P.S. I play games like quake2,3 UT2003 and will soon play UT2004 online with friends.

10. Golem macrumors 6502

Most games I buy i play for 2-3 hours to 1-2 months. Blizzard is 1 of the few companys that writes games that I find worth while playing for longer than that.

On a per hour basis $15 US per month is cheap and if it sucks well I dont have to keep on playing and paying.

11. Versello macrumors regular

The average lifespan of FPS games is like, 3 months :p I donno about the lifespan of mmporgs being 2-3 years tho. mmporgs just started coming out 2-3 years ago. Heck Asheron's Call is still popular and Anarchy Online has strong support after it was patched up finally.

And you don't necessarily end up with nothing in mmporgs. I used to play Dark Age of Camelot and ended up making some good friends.

Yes the cost of two happy meals a month does add up, but so does that XM satellite radio you want as does anything else in life. Are you in your car more than 4 hours a day to make it worth it? :p

As Golem mentioned, Blizzard is synonymous with quality and you can always stop playing if you don't find it worth it.

12. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I have Sirius Satellite radio with Tuner receiver i can use in the car and at home, brother. I have it hooked to my mac and using "wiretap" i can record any song i like. And unlike XM, sirius has all commercial free music channels.
    And I get all exclusive Remixes you can't find anywhere else.
    And it saves you money since i don't buy anything music (nor dont steal it off kazaa)...

Average life of a FPS maybe is 3 months. Because there so many of them that suck. but I remember playing Quake 2 for 3 years +. And I still like it.
    There are plenty of games out there where u dont have to pay-to-play.
    People support those companies paying them money to play a game and that enables those gaming companies to rip them off more and more.

Buying a game, signign up and figuring oout that game sux, also is not acceptable. It's unlikely you will be able to sell the game for a decent money if you don't like it since it's PAY-TO-PLAY.

And finally, don't be telling me about happy meals. If you gonna use the argument, it's not a big deal to spend 15 bucks a months on a game cuz it's only three number 1's in Mcdonalds, you can buy a new mac tomorrow. And then say: Well, 1400, it's only not getting Happy meals for a year or two.

But that analogy fails because, just because you pay-to-play, you are not gonna stop going and getting Happy meals. So it's still only additional expenses.

But like I said, you feel this is a good deal and you don't mind paying... Who am I to tell you how to spend your money...
    :eek:

13. Golem macrumors 6502

Isnt this still stealing?

Well I brought a new mac a month ago so I think I am fine for now,thanks. Besides a Good game stops from doing things like I did on Saturday when I popped into kmart for some silicon spray for a squeeky door and walked out with the spray,plus a paperback book and Motogp for xbox.
    Its as simple as if I am bored I tend to make impulse buys, if I was playing wow and enjoying it I doubt I would be wasting a hour just to fix a squeeky door:)

14. Versello macrumors regular

How does it rip people off? Because someone has to pay for maintaining expensive and dedicated servers?

Anyays, yeah, you're right I do see a value in paying monthly for a game that offers more content and replayability than paying 50 hard-earned dollars every three months for a new game and 30 for expansion packs.

Sure the yearly prices are about even, thus making this argument pointless, but pay-to-play is here to stay and you'll see a helluva lot more of it coming. Go ahead and say "SUCK A LEMON" to all of them but you'll find yourself left out in games that offer a whole lot more.

PS - I wouldn't be surprised if it cost the same or less than your satellite radio a month.

15. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I know how marketing works, thank you very much. But I guess you are also going to say that before everyone started stealing music online, CDs were really worth $20 for 1 or 2 good songs on them.
    I know MMORPG require good amount of money to keep up, but not $15/mo per user. For 15$/mo i can have my own server running. More simple RPG games Diablo II are free to play online, and blizzard wasn't bitching and moaninig they wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep of gaming servers. And since Everquest came out and became somewhat succesful (cuz it was different) everyone is trying to jump on the bandwagon of how to rip people off even more.
    Stop thinking of the companies as of your friends and start thinking of them of greedy and sly people who work to get your money.
    When they are making something, they are not asking themselves: "How can we make it so johny over there can enjoy this game the most for as little as possible". They are thinking, how can we push this crap out to make the maximum profit. If game sux, lets sell it with a cover art or comercials, or a sleeze factor (BMX XXX anyone?).

P.S. I don't try to say that Satellite radio is for everyone. Nor do i say there won't b people paying for WOW. I just voiced my opinion on the issue.
    And you right, WOW may cost about the same as my radio, but i save money by not buying CDs or spending money in iTunes store.
    But paying for WOW, won't keep you from going and buying "Happy meals". :D

16. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

No. Under agreement, a subscriber is allowed to record songs off the radio for personal use. But they are not exactly CD quality but quite listenable.
    Is taping a song off of FM radio also stealing?

P.S Fixing a door is a good idea. I hate everything that makes squicky noise. :)
    But i see what you are saying about buying crap just cuz you are bored. I often have the same probelm :)

17. Golem macrumors 6502

Well with the fair and reasonable use copyright rules being so encroached on these days who knows. Certainly if you have a legal agreement between you and the satelite radio company your covered under their terms.

I know as a company we had to pay money to the Australian recording .Association????just for musical hold that we played from a fm radio.

18. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

well I think its a good deal ( imo )

I like to play game but I do one of two things buy a game every 2 months for $50 a pop even lets say every 3 months thats $200 a year. for wow $55 + (11 * $12) = $187 (please note that if you sign up for more then a month you get it cheaper then $12 also note that its 11 months not 12 since you get a month for free)

so Im saving money to be able to have more fun IMO since Im playing with 1000s of people in a world I really like. I have a guild of friends already that will have their own guild hall in this "world" and it has a economy influanced by the players (for instance I plan on being a dwarven black smith) I know RPGs aren't everyones cup of tea but theres much more to do. You can for instance become a gladiator in an arena with a crowd of real people watching you fight monsters or other players.

The world will be constantly updated and will have "events" that will change the world depending on what the players do ex: a dragon attacks a town, players can attack the dragon together or the dragon destroys the town wiping it off the map

/rant