World of Warcraft: Blood Elves changed because they were too "feminine"

Discussion in 'Games' started by gekko513, Nov 3, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

One of the things that stinks about World of Warcraft is that the male of all the races except trolls and undead look like they're body builders on steroids. Well actually they're even more bulky than real world body builders on steroids can ever hope to be.

The Blood Elf race that was announced for the upcoming expansion seemed to give hope to those of us who wanted to play a more normal looking male character. The original model for the male look was very promising. But now there has been a period of beta testing and Blizzard has changed the look... Here's the reason they gave:

:mad: This sucks for a number of reasons. One thing is that we get a new race that looks just as dispropertioned as the rest, but most importantly because the reason they give for changing demonstrates a skewed moral. They're obviously giving in to a vocal, but hopefully relatively small, share of players who have small-minded opinion of how males "should" be.

I think it's fair to say that I've gotten my knickers in a twist over this. I spent some time making these images to demonstrate the folly of it all. First the disproportionate humans:
    [​IMG]
    Their deltoid/head size proportions are 56% bigger than that of a body builder. :rolleyes:

Now take a look at this image that compares the new model, the old model and our favourite modern day elf icon, Legolas, as played by Orlando Bloom. Even the old model has more brawn than Legolas, and I don't see many people complaining about Legolas appearing weak in the movies.
    [​IMG]

I think the old model makes them look a bit young, but that's something different entirely and in any case it's still a refreshing change from the other races.

There's a petition here to bring the old models back. Please sign it. I also encourage people to make as much fuzz about this as possible on Blizzard's own WoW-forums. And if you don't agree that it's good to have the choice of playing a slender elf in WoW, then you can shut up and roll a muscular Draenei when the expansion comes out.

That concludes my rant for now.
    *pants*

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I liked the old look myself, but understand them catering to the fan majority.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thank goodness.

You do realise it's just a Fantasy game, set with Fantasy characters, in a Fantasy world... ?? right...... :eek: :confused: :eek:

Your obsessing and petitoning over the 'reality' of a fictional character in a fantasy game, do you know how much of an idiom that is ?

Time to take break from the computer huh! :D

4. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

But is it really the majority? And even if the majority prefers characters on steroids, it's not like they are lacking muscular options in the other races. The other new race, the Draenei, are gigantic and muscular. I don't see how this will expand their fan base, only narrow it.

Draenei:
    [​IMG]

Yes, of course it's a fantasy game, but in this case they promise changes that would make it a more appealing game in my opinion and then they change their mind, which is a bit of a disappointment, but that's not what makes me angry here. What makes me angry is the attitude that shines through in the reason they give for changing it.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

They won't change it back. While those screen shots you posted do make it look substantially different, in game the difference is very minor. When I logged my male blood elf paladin in I really didn't even notice he got buffed up... especially when you throw all the armor on top of the model. In my opinion the female blood elf needs to be buffed up too... or maybe her standing animation changed... she just looks... weird.

Nobody is going to quit over it... at least... not a significant amount of people.

I guess I don't read every blue post but when did they promise skinny blood elf males?

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about this, but I guess it kind of bothers me too. All my characters have either been female, or for my only male character, I have chosen a Gnome, for which you can't really see the muscles. The muscles don't do anything for me and make some of the characters look daft. I also think that my perception of elf characters is that they are slender.

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

You do realize you have the wrong picture for the new BE males. That model was thrown out a few days after they were buffed. The new models are sightly more masculine but its almost not noticeable.

8. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Well, when they presented how the new blood elf race would be, they included pics and screen shots of slender males. It's not a "we promise skinny males" statement, but I don't know how else to put it. They showed they intended the male blood elves to be slender.

Do you mean realise? No, that's the only picture of the new model I have seen. And how are they more masculine? Do you mean muscular? Masculine and muscular isn't the same thing, you know. Which is what makes Blizzard's statement wrong no matter how miniscule the model change is.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Which is the primary reason Blizzard hates giving pre-release information of any kind... I don't blame them. They change a ton of things weekly in Burning Crusade as it's still a work in progress. Maybe if they changed it after you had made your blood elf I could see you being upset... all the Burning Crusade information you get and have is subject to change at any time in drastic ways all the way up to release.

10. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm sorry but I haven't gotten my point across properly, it seems. The change isn't what's upsetting, it's the reason they give for changing it. They essentially equal masculinity with substantial body mass and say that a slender body is feminine and an undesireable quality for a male elf.

I'll quote someone from the wow-europe forum:
    Link

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's interesting to see the flip-side of what women (and young women and girls) have been dealing with for decades now... We're not considered "feminine" enough unless we're thin w/ all the right curves in all the right places (read size C cups, and a nice rear, but gawd forbid you have 1/2 an oz of fat anywhere else on your body).

WoW is a HUGE game. There are... thousands if not millions (?) of players and these changes, these visual images, they make an impact on each person whether conscious or not.

Good for you Gekko.

12. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Thanks, devilot, for helping me explain why this is about more than just the pixels on the screen.

13. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

No I meant "Realize";) I mean masculine the newer models are far more manly then the older ones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/taylorbroussard/MyDocuments those are 2nd generation of buff BE males.

14. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

hah, this is funny, feminine/Gay looking characters have been a bit o da norm when thinking about pixies, archers and more.

I guess they decided to go another direction, to make it seem a little less queer. the whole thing about "playing" in WOW is a little gay to me. warcraft really has gone the wrong direction since the old Warcraft, Starcraft days.

i mean, wasnt there a guy recently whose claim to fame that he completed a quest on all of the WOW worlds naked? that really screams out loud WOW is a little goofy.

(heh, this ought to stir some $h1T up, yes im not being serious, but cmon, try feeling some first person shooter out)

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I wasn't aware Blizzard had to be 'politically correct.'

Personally, I could care less whether they're super-thin or super-fat. The world won't end either way.

16. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

They don't have to be and I am sick of people demanding they make wow a perfect clean utopia. Hell the whole idea of war is not P.C. If your mad about the model files for aesthetic reasons fine, demand they change it back. The real reason they changed it is simple: People complained they were to skinny.

17. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Thanks for the link. The new models don't look that bad. If the change is that small, I can't say I see the point of making the change at all: link And especially not make such a small change for the given bigoted reason.

I think the latest posts in this thread does nothing but support that Blizzard in the role they have should think carefully about the signals they give.

18. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

If think your seeing things that are not real. The model was changed because people complained. More people complained so they changed it back, but to save face they left it a little buffer.

19. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

The only statement from Blizzard I know about concerning this issue is the one where they say that the old blood elves were "too feminine" and therefore had to change. Are there any others? Giving "too feminine" as the reason to change the model isn't acceptable the way I and many others see it. Someone elses new thread on this on the European wow-forums.

20. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

So just to summarize for those coming into the thread late:

You got your panties in a bunch because Blizzard made some changes to thier game based on player feedback without your looking at the changes prior to getting upset?

An Internet petition? LOL! :D

21. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Nice try, but that doesn't summarize the thread. You can read the link in my previous post to find someone who are better at articulating the point I want to make.

mdntcallr: The first and second video were hilarious.

22. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Thats from a female blizzard poster on the American forums.

23. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I totally think the old model looked better. MUCH better. I've signed the petition.

24. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Thanks for that. I can't say it really helps much to explain their reasoning. Just some foggy talk about femininity not being the main thrust of the race. Huh? She also says one has to think about consistency of appearance with the rest of the world. I can agree with that. It makes sense that the male elves are thin and slender compared to the other races, just like the female elves are also thin and slender compared to the other races.