WORLD OF WARCRAFT - Does it play on a macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jsousa, Jun 6, 2006.

1. jsousa macrumors member

Ok everyone. I have been browsing this forum for hours and haven't found a definate answer. Does World of Warcraft play on a macbook - without lag (due to low frame rate) and still look alright? I am looking to buy a macbook 2.0 ghz with 1 gig of ram and the only deciding factor left is if it plays WoW. Please, if anyone can benchmark it, post screenshots, descriptive/detailed info, etc, anything, it would help my decision, and I would be very appreciative. Thank you all.

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I wouldn't recommend it. Your limited by integrated graphics whereas with the Macbook Pro you aren't. I also don't know how much video RAM WoW takes up, but I know that SW:EaW can run perfectly smoothly on the 128 MB video card.

3. jsousa thread starter macrumors member

true - but its not the amount of video ram that matters, its the computer as a whole - and the card itself. WoW is a ram intensive program; more so than a video ram intensive program, and the 1 gig should be good - but my concern is the gma card.

4. spacehog371 macrumors regular

My friend has it on his and it doesn't run very well.

5. jsousa thread starter macrumors member

please explain....."doesnt run very well"

6. AaronHeth macrumors member

I run it on my Mac Mini 1.4 PPC with 512megs of ram, and although the settings are fairly low, it runs alright. :) Pretty amazing, I'd say, but I don't know how much quality you're looking for.

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I have it on mine and it runs well.

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You browsed the forums for hours and couldn't find a tread about WoW on the MacBook??

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"well" and "not very well" are not helpful (no offense). What would be helpful would be descriptions of what settings are being used and what fps you get in various areas.

10. storage macrumors 6502

Is there any difference in framerate and playable settings between running World of Warcraft under OS X and under Bootcamp? If there is, which one is better?

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I saw a video of someone running WOW on a Macbook and it runs ok. Check the Gaming forum.

12. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

What runs "well" is entirely subjective from person to person.

I honestly think 20 fps is horrible, and wouldn't consider anything less than 30+ fps to be "well." 50+ would be "very well."

But there are those who don't mind putting all settings on low and running at 20 fps (which is noticebly unsmooth). To them, that is fine and they will call it "well."

I'd disagree though, and in my opinion, I do not think you will find that WoW runs well on a Macbook (or even a MB Pro).

13. uncle fuz macrumors newbie

uncle fuz

i'd say a good amount of ram is required for WoW to run well. with 1gb on my 15" 1.5 powerbook, it ran wayyyyy smoother than it did on my pc.

14. imacintel macrumors 68000

And what computer and Video Card they are using(it is ok if they don't know of course).

15. afornander macrumors 6502

persinaly, i would have to say anything above 25fps is good. im not one of thoughs people that need 50fps to be happy.