World of Warcraft... how good is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazydrumma, Apr 19, 2006.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

so... I was wondering. I need some decent games on my new computer, and I was thinking about getting into WOW. I need some advice from current players... is it worth the money? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being crap and 10 being incredible, how great is this game? Thanks.

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

It was fun for a month or so, but then it just got boring. I would not recommend it, but you'll have thirty different opinions from thirty different people.

3. 3mph macrumors newbie

I dont own the game myself, but a friend of mine is addicted... sociallife went down to 1% playing 24/7..

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What games that you currently play do you like? Even if Madden '06 (or whatever) is the best game ever I can guarantee you that I won't like it nor would I like Project Gotham Racing 3. If you give us a point of reference we can probably tell you if you would like it... at least better.

5. CalGrunt macrumors regular

8.5....................I've been playing this game non-stop since November. I have an Xbox that is just collecting dust now...........

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, that depends what you like. Do you like MMORPGs? Do you like fantasy games? If so, it's probably at least an 8. For me it's a 9. Darn addicting game! When I get tired of it I walk away for 2 weeks and then "re-discover" the game all over again.

Network issues and other sundry concerns would stop me from giving it a 10.

WoW has a monthly subscription fee, so keep that in mind. It's not just a "game" that you buy and play; it has a level of monthly commitment with it.

7. PuNkErX macrumors member

Personally, I played it for about 2 months and that was it.

I just couldn't get into it, but I'm not a huge RPG type fan, I'm more FPS, strategy, etc.

What other games do you like?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Considering WoW?

You should have written your post thusly:

That being said, if you have an addictive personality, avoid WoW like the plague. It's fun and can really suck you in, next thing you know it's 2008 and you weigh 400lbs and have diabetes.

9. kparvez macrumors member

Sadly, what the above poster said is completely true. it's so much fun and you will probably get addicted assuming you find a guild that runs MC/Onyxia/BWL/AQ40/20/ZG, etc nightly.

-----------
    2 tier 2 wrath
    6 tier 1 might.
    29 epics ftw.

10. shortyjj macrumors regular

I was trying to explain WoW to a friend yesterday, and realized:

It sucks you in with its reward system, which are quite frequent when you first start. As you progress, the amount of time spent to get such rewards increases exponentially, until you are literally spending many, many hours and relying on pure chance to get even the slightest upgrade (ie a "drop" in an end-game instance.) It's ridiculous to think about how much time you invest and how many other experiences you will forego.

My advice: get it, play your character til 60, and when you have seen everything in the game, quit. End-game just isn't worth it.

11. wcalderini macrumors member

Yep. That's me. Level 60 Warrior. Guildmaster, 40 Hour work week, 25 hour (Minimum per week) Wow addiction.

On Fridays, I let myself have beer.

I miss the big round day ball in the sky.

3 Tier 2 Wrath
    8 of 8 Might.
    Drillborer Disk
    Quel Serrar
    Brutality Blade
    Death Bringer
    Obsidian Edged Blade
    Earthshaker
    Eskanders Right Claw
    Bloodlords Defender

Plus a complete 340 FR armor set.

And the freaking "Bindings of the Windseeker" just dropped.

But still no epic mount.

I need help.

12. wcalderini macrumors member

I don't know. In my case, life begins at 60. I have had more fun doing the 40 man's with my guild than I ever did questing my way up. With the right people and the right play style, it's an all night party.

But, to the OP's original question. I think it really has a lot to do with Blizzard games. Everything they have ever released has completely ownned me and my time. If you are a fan of their previous games, and have the time, check it out. The best way to do this is find a friend who already has the game, I beleive that they still do a 10 day free pass to potential new members.

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I would have never paid for that game, but I was lucky and a friend's brother is a gamemaster at Blizzard for WoW and he got us a 1-year-pass for free.

When I had some free time in January and February I was playing it a lot, but if you don't have much time left you are going nowhere. After level 25 or so it take hours to get a group ready and another two or three hours to finish a proper quest. At least that's what my experiences were.

Be careful you can get really hooked on that game and then your social life may go all the way down.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I make it a point not to group and rarely do instances.. and I've never had any real problems leveling.

15. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Yikes.

60 Warrior.
    3 pieces of the tier 2 dungeon set of Heroism. (/flex)
    2 epics.
    ...but I have my epic mount. :p

Never been inside MC, Onyxia, BWL, AQ20 or AQ40. Not in a guild that can do it, and not really concerned. Yet the game is still extremely addictive.

The thing that sucks me in is playing with friends. If you find a group of people to quest with and joke around with the game becomes infinately more enjoyable. You tend to want to do things to advance your guild as a whole rather than just for yourself.

There is a fine line however, 40 man raids every night of the week seems like a job to me. Not my cup if tea.

If you do get sucked in, enjoy 1-59. ;)

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Though I thought the same as you :) I tried and tried to get into it though. Still have an active account as I tried again when I got my intel mac to revisit and it, but just couldnt get into it.

17. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

When you start the game you have like a magical fealing that your in a new world, lol... but after a month it start getting very repitive

So its a 10/10 for the first month.. and after that 5/10

sorry for my horrible spelling

18. Quantum Man macrumors member

I would give it a 10. I've been playing for a month now and am LOVING it. It has awesome gameplay and HUGE replayability factor. IMO it's the best game ever.

19. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Tell iGary to throw up in his mouth a little™ for me.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, I played it for a few months...it was addictive. Then I sold it on ebay because I didn't have enough time to compete with the people who spend their lives on it and it was a constant drain. Now I have guild wars and WoW's story/graphics is soo much better. Music is about the same.

If you're in the market for a MMORPG, it's the best you can get. Personally I just don't like MMORPG's..

21. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Ehh, I played 3 days of beta, and that was enough for me. I've played many, many MMORPG's, but WoW just felt... shallow. It felt dumbed down and simplistic, and had little depth. While I had no problem with the graphics (they are actually quite beautiful, and is one of the best parts of the game), I couldn't stand the little things - like NPC's having a big (!) over their head if they have a quest for you. Where is the mystery of exploration in that?

I also hated how there wasn't a good functional first person camera. I guess it also doesn't help that most of the game is filled with immature little 10 year olds who don't care about roleplaying or at least taking the game seriously. Most people also don't care to group since soloing is so easy. Yet, whats the point of an mmorpg with thousands of other people, if everyone is going to just play by themselves?

22. amholl macrumors 6502

Its not a great game, but its totally addicting. Dont get it if u dont have at least 2 hrs/ nite

23. rumbletum macrumors regular

A fantastic game, I'd never played, or been interested in this kind of game until I gave WoW a try, and I was hooked from the start. I was a bit concerned initially that I wouldn't have the time to put into it that a lot of people do, but that hasn't been a problem in the slightest. I've had sessions where I've played for hours, others where I've just had 20 minutes, and times when I've gone days without playing it. I've been playing for about 6weeks now, and I still love it as much as I did the first time.

JUst give it a go, imo its the best, most engrossing game I've ever played, and I've been gaming since I had my first speccy in 82.

24. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I've been playing for a few weeks now. I'm a level 18 Tauren Shaman. I know many people would have leveled much more quickly, but

a) it's my first and only character
    b) I rarely play with another player (in a group-- but I am part of a guild)
    c) I don't put in the time that a lot of folks do

Having said all of that I really enjoy playing it. I've found that there are benefits to playing alone and benefits to playing with a group (which for me seems to usually only be 1 other person).

Playing alone allows you to really LEARN the game-- where things are, how to go about retrieving things and how to utilize the skills that you pick up. But playing alone, especially as you get higher in levels, is becoming more and more difficult (at least for me).

Playing in a group allows you to level more quickly and seeing it's a social game there's more of a sense of "experiencing the fullness" of the game. However, I've found when playing in a group-- especially when the other member is a higher level than you-- that you aren't always afforded the opportunity to LEARN. During most of the quests it turns into a lot of following and killing (w/ looting to gather items) but things usually happen so fast that it's hard to pay attention to WHAT you're doing.

For me I've found that 2 or 3 nights by myself followed by a night of playing in a group seems to fit the bill.

Overall, up until WoW, I've not been a big gamer-- although I've wanted to get involved in a game for years now. WoW has fit this bill nicely. It allows me time to escape from the trappings of family, bills, work, etc and I've been able (so far) to keep it balanced enough where it doesn't distract from these other things.

Considering I don't have much to compare it to, I'm going to give it an 8 out of 10. For me it's been everything that I've hoped it would. The upfont cost-- $50-- well, MOST games on my PS2 are in that range and I NEVER play them. The ongoing cost may be a problem for some, but when I compare it to all the stuff that I waste my money on monthly that brings me little to no enjoyment it seems well worth it.

As a little bonus message, last night was the first time that I helped someone else at a lower level than me. I'm only 18 but a 9 needed to get somewhere and didn't know how to go. I partied up with him, got him there and we quested for a bit. It felt good to give back to others as some have done for me along the way. You wouldn't think you could get "good feelings" from a game, but it really is rewarding (in some sicko-nerdo way) beyond just the enjoyment factor of the game objectives. Again, considering it's a social game, if you have an imagination, you enjoy the "D&D" type experience and if you like, say message forums/chatting-- what you get HERE at MR for example, I think you'll find that it's a nice way to spend your spare time.

Just make sure it's your "spare" time and it's not stealing from other more important things in your life.

25. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I still think paying for online games is a crime, but I do it any way. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it an 8. The thing that WoW has going for it is that you can accomplish things playing alone for an hour, have a blast playing with a group or enjoy the player vs player element of battlegrounds. There's something for everyone in a way. I recommend you create your characters on a PvP server, read up on the WoW site for details on the server types. I like role-playing in games but found little of it taking place on most of the RP servers I played on.

As yellow pointed out, the game is extremely addicting to play. I had to cancel my account twice before finding a the middle path of balance with it, you have been warned. :D