World of Warcraft (Mac OSX)

Discussion in 'Games' started by kparvez, Oct 11, 2004.

1. kparvez macrumors member

I was looking at the latest patch notes for World of Warcraft, and it was mentioned that:

----
    The Mac OS X client has all shader-based features disabled for this patch. The GUI for those preferences will be grayed out. A number of GPU driver issues are being addressed by Apple, ATI and NVIDIA - when these fixes have been completed and made available to the public we will re-enable these features in the game.

----
    Sigh...unfortunately we mac users aren't going to get the identical graphics polish that our PC counterparts will... .but nonetheless, kudos to Blizzard for providing a simultaneous mac/pc release to this amazing game!!! Hope the driver issues are addressed rapidly. I stress tested it, and now waiting for the open beta, anyone else giddy with excitement?

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yep, that stress test got me addicted...

Though I know that I will be depressed when the Open Beta ends...

I think I'm going to have to opt for the collector's edition, that game is simply amazing...

Probably going to have to get a 9800 Pro or a 6800 Ultra just so I can see all the beauty of the world, it's truly awe inspiring...

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

LIke i said before WoW is not yet ready for the mac....it still needs optimization...

4. rbarris macrumors 6502

Not with this patch, no, but as soon as the GPU drivers have been updated with the fixes we need (and many of these fixes are in testing right now) then we should be back at feature parity with the PC version.

It just didn't make sense to default features "on" that were known to be causing visual glitches in the field with the current drivers.

Rob rbarris "at" blizzard.com

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I've got a question about the upcoming open beta. Is it open to anyone, or do you have to be selected to participate? "Open beta" to me would mean anyone can join, but I'm looking for confirmation.

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

blizzard is practically being forced (it appears) by vivendi to push this game out by Nov. 15, polished or no. everywhere quotes nov. 15, my manager at a gaming store even guarentees it will be there by the 16th (since they aren't on the priority list), but they have the boxed cover art and everything for it. i don't mind since i'm addicted to the game and am used to blizzard constantly tweaking their games anways (if you play W3 at the initial release, then switch to TFT 1.17, it's two different games) so i'll be happy to pay to play :D. tauren druid here i come!!

7. iZzle macrumors member

That's never bad for us :D as they can always do patches/updates. And to answer the "Open Beta Question": I take it to mean anybody can get into it. I think there's a limit, but there are no specific requirements to apply for the open beta. I have WoW as my homepage b/c I want to be sure to get it.

I currently play EQOA on PS2, which is a great game with many great people but lack of CS due to EQ2 release has taken away from ours. When WoW comes out I'm probably gonna switch. Since I don't pay for it and I don't think both'll fly with my mom :( . BTW, does anyone know how much this will be monthly? It's just sad. But WoW is different as far as I can tell from Blizz posts on the forums and all these patches (even though thats common for beta's)

I knwo I should know this but, are th Mac and PC servers one? :):crosses fingers::)

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

yes. there is no difference as far as OS which server you get on(M$,Apple, or Penguin).

HOWEVER servers are divided via region, so USA only plays with USA, EUROPE with EUROPE, ASIA with ASIA you get the idea. Lots of people are really pissed, but Blizzard insists its because of server stress issues and quality of play.

open beta as far as i can tell is open to anyone who signs up :p but i don't think EVERYONE is going to get in. which really sucks. if i don't i may cry, the stress has me hooked! with all of the cool content still in progress (other worlds via portals! :eek: :D ) the open beta entries are taking far longer than i had anticipated. :mad:

9. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Welcome Rob :) Good to see you here.

For what it's worth, I never did have any issues with 0.11 and the vertex shaders. It almost felt like the game ran smoother with vertex turned on. I never did use pixel shader however due to the overhead on a 5200 ;)

10. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i've been playing this on my pc and it's great! for the hell of it, i tried installing it on my mac at work (dual 768 g4, 1ghz ram) i got a warning saying my computer was too slow. when i tried to load up the game, i couldn't scroll the text so i can click 'accept' the gui just grinded to a halt, lol. i didn't even get to see the game.

11. iZzle macrumors member

thankyou! this pleases me mucho. :)

12. iZzle macrumors member

Does anyone else think the upcoming downtime from 7:00 AM CST will provide the open beta?

13. kparvez thread starter macrumors member

open beta

Fingers crossed.... by Friday night, I hope they have their new updated/upgraded servers ready and waiting for all the open beta testers who wanna try out WoW. Let's hope Friday, they start signing us up... but it's likely the sign-up period may go on for a few days (a week?) and so i'm not sure when the open beta test would start (after the open beta sign-ups are complete?). Apparently, the Wow forums have discussed a PC Gamer ad ('Like fighting rats?'...) in an upcoming December issue stating that people are encouraged to sign-up for the open beta. So perhaps the open beta will extend into end of Nov or Dec?

All i know is i had tonnes of fun playing as a tauren warrior during the stress test, now i gotta try out a Night Elf Druid during the open beta and see where that takes me.

I'm glad Blizzard supports Macs/OSX, I've tried out WoW on my Powerbook during the stress test, and Wow purred like a druid in feral form! Kudos Blizzard!

14. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

NO! DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF! THE HORDE NEEDS YOU! not to mention the Night Elf Bear Form looks like a little girl in a bear costume compared to the Tauren Bear (with horns and tribal markings! GRR! muahaha!)

I think tonight Open Beta Signups may ensue :D, so maybe next week Open will begin, big MAYBE though. The Open WILL NOT extend into Dec. as the game is due out come hell or high water on Nov. 15. If Blizzard screws this release up, Vivendi will have to answer to FAR to many companies, which will in turn cause Blizzard to have to answer to Vivendi, and cause lots of ugly nonsense.

WTF IS STARCRAFT: GHOST!?!?!? It's only close to a year late (thx to Nihilistic...those **** ups).

the new patches WoW icon is l33t :D. can't wait for servers to come back up!

15. Quobobo macrumors member

Hmm... do you know if this is actually strictly enforced? I'm in Japan for the next little while and was really hoping I could play with my friends back in Canada.

16. Wuddel macrumors member

So I am in the market for a new PowerBook. Which one should I get at least to play WoW. I mean: smoothly with all graphical whizbang on and in the native resolution of the PowerBook.

Is a 12" enough? Are 64MB VRAM enough?

17. KrysBaz macrumors member

I'm not signing up for the Beta, as I don't realistically have enough time at the moment to play for more than an hour or so a week (Probably won't change much soon either) so will await to hear more about the release on the forums.

I'm really looking forward to the game, I like Warcraft 3, but not really any good at it, so this will be a bit more fun.

I'm not a hard core gamer either, but I can only hope for more games for my mac.

18. iZzle macrumors member

Haha. Join the club! :D

19. iZzle macrumors member

I guess so. Kparvez said it ran perfectly on his machine:
    Proud Owner of:
    1 GHz 12 inch Powerbook 512 MB RAM

You might want to find out how much vRam he has.

20. iZzle macrumors member

We shall see...I really don't think they would do it in the morning now that I think about it, but maybe you can sign up then. Argh. I once again hate school! :(

21. coconn06 macrumors regular

I'm getting a new 20" iMac soon. How well do you think WoW will run on this machine?

Damn you Apple, if it only weren't for the GeForce 5200, this would be a perfect machine...

22. kparvez thread starter macrumors member

Powerbook specs

My 12 inch Powerbook has 32 MB vRAM...here's the actual specs (keep in mind, i bought it sept 2003)
    -----
    The Apple Macintosh PowerBook G4/1.0 12" features a 1.0 GHz (1000 MHz) PowerPC 7447 (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and 512k DDR SRAM on-chip level 2 cache. This model ships with 256 MB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM (266 MHz), a 40.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 (4200 RPM) hard drive, either a slot-loading 8X/24X/10X/24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (AGP 4X) video controller with 32 MB of DDR SDRAM, built-in Bluetooth 1.1, and support for AirPort Extreme (802.11g) in an attractive aluminium alloy case with a 12.1" 1024x768 TFT XGA active-matrix display.
    ----

our lab also purchased a new 20 inch widescreen iMac (love the wireless keyboard/mouse), and i think it would definitely run WoW if a 12 inch powerbook could.

23. iZzle macrumors member

24. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I love how people use analogies to dictate game performance. Maybe I should add that on my 12" it ran like a slideshow? And that regular War3 runs just as badly? And that on my G5 I only had an average of 30 FPS *some* of the time?

Sometimes I hate posting in this forum for the sheer fact that most of the gamers here have no idea how to assess real game performance.

25. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Been testing for 6+ months on this same machine and config.

1Ghz 12" Powerbook Rev. B DVI. 512MB RAM 32MB VRAM GoFx5200 nVidia X 10.3.5