world of warcraft on a powerbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by jsulens, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jsulens macrumors member

i have a 15'' powerbook (newest model) with 1.5 gigs of ram and ati radeon 9700 (128mb). i was wondering how well this game will run on my computer. if anyone has any helping information please respond. thankyou

2. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

depends on your internet connection other than that i think its ur good to go!

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Should run somewhat decently, but don't expect a constant 30+ fps. The CPU would be the main bottleneck in that situation.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

even dual G5 owners are reporting some slowdowns that you wouldn't expect at this point. I believe Blizzard has said that both they and apple will be releasing updates that will help the speed...

Oh, I and think it will run a good deal better than "somewhat decently" as it runs more than playably well on my gf's powermac 1.25 Ghz SP MDD with a radeon 9000 64 MB video card.

5. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

i have broadband, so i think that the internet connection should be fine. thanks for the quick responses.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

For some reason, this game never seems to run really fast on macs, regardless of what hardware you have. Your powerbook should have no trouble running it at least as good as most people's PCs, though.

7. starstreak macrumors 6502

Should run fine. I have a new 12.1in PB with 768ram and 64mb vid and it plays ok. with most settings on low. Keep in mind theres not much difference you'll see when set to high except farther viewing distance. I would love your vid card. I don't know why apple didn't pop it into the 12.1in PB. I'm gonna thowup if it get teh vid card next month being I jsut got the PB.

8. wcalderini macrumors member

Same Setup No Problem

I've been running it fine on the same setup. You don't mention your hard drive speed and I do have the faster BTO 80GB Model, but I don't think that would make much of a difference anyway. I'm hooking up through broadband via wireless airport extreme via cable modem and I believe that the most important thing to running smooth is a fast internet connection. When I say running it I also mean REALLY running it. For Hours and hours on end, till I literally have to PEEL my contact lenses off my sleep deprived eyes.
    Be prepared to be sucked into the vortex.
    Maybe it's NOT so good a thing, that it runs well.
    Considering.
    BC

9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I play on a 1.25 ghz 15inch, with only 512 of ram, and it runs respectably well on it. I've had no major problems, occasionally a slowdown when there are several things going on at once. i also find that leaving ANY other program open when playing decreases performance a lot. So, forgo the chatting app with the cool "playing WoW" away message to get the most out of your setup.

10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

If its playable on my 12" rev B G4 iBook you should have no worries at all.

11. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

My friends play on his 15" PB and he seems to not find it being a problem. I ran WoW for about 9 days om my 17" PB and it was great, thou i just started playing it on my G5 PowerMac and it dose make a diffrence in tearms of FPS, you can check that by doing ctrl + r ingame.

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I have the same 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook with 128Mb vram...

I find the game playable, but not great. The biggest problem I've had is huge delays while trying to move a skill from the "talent/spells" book down to the toolbar. It's not game-breaking, but pretty frustrating.

The game is much better on my 1.4GHz Athlon with 64Mb Nvidia Gforce 2. Better framerates, and no annoying delays (well, except for with scrolling too quickly in the auction house window, which causes a temporary freeze - haven't tried that on the Mac).

Hopefully with the next OS X patch the Open GL/video drivers will be improved on Macs... and I'm sure Blizzard is working to fix the other issues (on both Mac and PC).

13. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

MY GF and I play at the same time on my airport extreme. It plays great on the PB.

14. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Riight. Do you live your life in slow motion?

15. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

lol. actually, it plays pretty well on a powerbook, especially his. It plays as well as it does on my G5.

16. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

What's your definition of 'pretty well'? people with 1.5ghz G4 15" powerbooks are experiencing sub-par performance.

I know it's playable, but please! ...it doesn't run 'WELL' on any mac. If someone is feeling well, they mean to say that nothing is wrong. On any mac, WoW has something 'wrong' (in certain parts of the game, no matter the settings).

It's funny how addicted to this game i am, despite the horrible performance at times. The last mission i did in the ragefire chasm was awesome... no performance issues at all.

17. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

Converted2Truth thinks he has a big dick because he's running a G5 w/ a 6800 GT, pffft - whatever

18. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

what is YOUR definition of 'pretty well'? You are correct in that it doesn't run 'well' on any mac, when compared to a pc. But, isn't it like that with most games? To me, pretty well is very playable. I find WoW very playable on my G5, as well as the powerbook. To you, pretty well might mean high fps. If that's the case, then you're absolutely right.

19. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Let's not resort to this. Hopefully, 10.3.7 will correct issues with WoW and the Mac video drivers. Cmon 10.3.7!!

20. starstreak macrumors 6502

well pretty well to me means playable. Its jerky when turning but not real bad.

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it's perfectly playable over here on my C.12" pbook as i've stated MANY MANY times in similar threads...the only lag i experience is entering a major city with a heavy population moving about (typically org, cuz of the auction hall). this is due to your internet connection and blizz's servers, not your computer.

also if you want better performance from wow, get a fast hard drive and lots of ram, not a "better" graphics card. :rolleyes:

22. hop2_it macrumors newbie

10.3.7 shows promise!

Hey, just a bit of background info. I have the 15" 1.5ghz g4 with 1GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80 GB (5400rpm) drive.

Framerates for me in Mac OS 10.3.6 have been below what I would expect of a system like this. I upgraded to build 7s210 of 10.3.7 (build 7s210 does NOT have the updated graphics drivers) and i noticed significant improvements in performance (perhaps the OpenGL mods). I am absolutely positive that 10.3.7 with those new drivers will make a huge difference in our lives!!

Cross your fingers WoWers ;)

23. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

This discussion has nothing to do with my anatomy. All i was saying was that WoW has issues with any mac. I did not mean to offend you, though it seems your intention.

For those of you wanting to know what i consider 'well'... It's quite simply the same as what your saying. I would be fine and dandy if WoW never dropped below 20FPS. As it is right now, taking a flight will show an average FPS of 3-15. Sometimes it will say 5 FPS, but the screen won't redraw for a FULL 1 to 2 seconds... and that doesn't make sense. If the screen is redrawing once per second, that's 1 FPS right? Well, i consider this to be sub-par performance. The slow FPS at times have killed me a couple times... usually when i try and spin around and counter attack, and the computer chokes (for whatever reason) and next thing i know, i'm facing the complete opposite direction again... it's just not an enjoyable situation when that happens. I'm not looking for frame rates that blow my skirt up. I'm looking for playability, and sometimes right now I don't get that kind of performance. I'd buy a new powerbook today if i knew it would play 'WELL'.

24. rbarris macrumors 6502

All -

you might want to re-check some of these issues after the next WoW patch ships. We have been busy.

25. Echinda macrumors regular

Is there an ETA on the patch? Or even a rough guess?

(I have an old iMac and will be replacing it in January, but I would love to be able to try out WoW with the patch before I make a decision between a power book or the 20" iMac.)