World of Warcraft on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Games' started by HarrySlone, Mar 6, 2006.

1. HarrySlone macrumors newbie

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone is playing World of warcraft on a MacBook Pro. I know someone must be. I have seen impression of the game on a iMac but i want to know about on the macbook pro.
    I am wondering
    1) what is your MacBook Pro setup?
    2) what kinda frame rate are you getting and where?
    3) Overall impression VS any other computer you have played WOW on?

Thanks

2. HarrySlone thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

Someone out there has to know something? Please

3. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

If you've seen the game on an intel iMac it will be VERY similar because they both have almost identical components. (this assumes the imac you refer to is intel).

Try giving your thread more then four hours before you bump it

4. NightFox92078 macrumors newbie

WoW on my Macbook Pro

I've got a 2ghz Macbook Pro, and on full performance settings the frame rate never drops below 20 fps with all settings maxed. It looks great. I just wished I actually liked the game.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Performance of iMac Intel and MBP should be similar, because they have almost identical specs and both show same amount of FPS in UT2004 tests

6. HarrySlone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey thanks for the responces, I figured that the specs would be similar, I just wondered what the addition of the 2.16 ghz processor, and the 256mb video cards would do for the game.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, however, remember that the number of pixels drawn can have a large impact on performance. The MacBook Pro has the same native screen resolution as the 17" iMac, so it should be very, very similar in performance. At MacWorld, I saw WoW running on a 17" iMac with all graphical settings maxxed. Riding a horse through Stormwind was a pretty constant 75 fps, very impressive. Now the 20" iMac has 36% more pixels, so I'd expect it to run somewhat slower at the same settings. As for the additional .16 GHz and additional VRAM, I doubt it will make a huge difference. Bottom line is performance of WoW on a MacBook Pro should be excellent, you would have to be a huge graphics whore to gripe about it IMO.

8. jrk07 macrumors regular

When I played WOW briefly, I usually ran it windowed because it seemed to run smoother. I used to think this was because it was a smaller area of pixels to draw, but now I'm thinking that the desktop had to have been stealing at leas some of the vram. Anybody smart able to clear this up for me?

9. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Well, between a similar screen portion of 2D static graphics (the desktop) and of real-time 3D animation (WoW), there's no question on which one is most ressources-consuming. Reducing the game window (and increasing the desktop portion) will always make for a smoother game. (Until, maybe, Mac Os XVI, with full 3D-animated desktop and icons...)

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Theoretically, windowed mode would always give better results. But that's not always the case.

There was a post about it by tech support on Blizzard's WoW forums. Occasionaly, some users could see better results, sometimes worse, and sometimes no change.

My system notices no difference, or if anything, windowed mode is slightly worse.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

All I know is it runs horribly on my 17" G4 iMac with an AGP card running at 2X AGP.....*weeps*...

12. jkballer23 macrumors member

WoW runs well on my PB 15" 1.67Ghz G4 w/128VRAM. While the settings aren't maxed, it is still playable.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Anyone running hooked p to a big boy monitor at 1920*1200?

14. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

15. Digidesign macrumors 6502

I realize this is a thread about MBP, but just FYI, I run WoW on 1920x1200 on my PB 1.5Ghz (128mb video, 1.5GB ram) and it gives me 15-17fps on average, with most of the shading/effects turned low/off.

Am also curious to see how the MBP renders at 1920x1200...

16. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

WoW should run great on the MBP with the new ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU. Thats one of the higher end mobile GPU's on the market at the moment, and the additional 128MB of vRAM on the higher end MBP will be sure to increase the performance further.

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

On a Mac, there is no difference between windowed and full screen. At least there shouldn't be. The Mac OS handles everything as a 3D surface with a texture on it [i.e. a finder window is a 3D square and the insides are a texture]. In layman's terms, thats how quartz extreme works.

If you exposé while playing a game, you'll see its just a window taking up the whole screen. Smart eh? ;)