world of warcraft on macbook question

Discussion in 'Games' started by starstreak, Apr 29, 2006.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I sorta asked this in another post about the macbook, but it maybe better suited here:
    I just got a macbook pro 2Ghz, 2gb ram, etc, etc.

I would've figured it would run well, but I guess since the game isn't made for the dual core system its running really slow. In native resolution and max setting, I get about 15fps in gadgetzan (which is bad) and outdoor same area anywhere from 20-45fps.

My question is if I install windows on this macbook, will I be getting way better fps? The ati x1600 w/256mb and 2gb system ram should fly if this was a pc computer...

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Well, it runs like a bastard on my 2Ghz Core Duo iMac, a solid 45-60 fps everywhere but IF and in a 40 man raid in AQ, so I have no idea why it shouldn't run well on your machine.

RAM? I have 2Gb as well

Graphics card? X1600 256Mb just the same.

Most things maxed out.

Could it be a system bus issue?

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Youre talking about on the mac side it runs fine or the pc side? Man, I have everything maxed and it constantly below 20fps. I'm sure the x1600 w/256mb is supposed to handle well.
    If I sit still in a room and rotate, it may settle to around 45fps. but once I start moving about again, my average fps drops to 12-24fps.
    On the macbook, i'm runinng 1440x900(I think thats what native is)

4. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I think you maybe getting to something, it might be.

I have a PowerBook G4 12" 1.33/512/80/BT/AirPort and I use it to Play WoW all of the time, now despite the fact it gets very hot and the fan is going full blast the whole time, it runs great... I know this may seem obvious and I am sure this isn't the problem, but whats your internet connection speed? I have played with 768kps DSL and a T1 line just fine, and I think Dial-up and ISDN-128 might not would so well with WoW or even a DSL or Cable line, trust me I have seen those. I am pretty sure this is fixable.

5. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

well at work :) where I am now, I'm setup to cable high speed. about 80ms ping to the servers. so its clear. And its a 5MB/sec dowload and 768upload. So its more than fine on WOW. Not to mention, I played WOW for over a year here and at home. both with cable connection.

6. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

So anybody know why Macbook is junk at playing WoW at native resolution with all the effects on? Keep in mind, I'm running this on a 2Ghz unit with 2gb ram and the 256mb video card.
    I still get on average around 17fps in any town and even flying.

Now then, I loaded windows.... Hahaha. I get 27-40fps in towns and flying is 30+ fps. Windows run better on a mac. :)

7. Gurutech macrumors 6502

That's weird..
    I play the WoW in Mac OS X..
    have 1.83 MBP 1.5 Gb RAM, 128 Mb ATI x1600...
    I turn on all the effects to max. except..
    the terrain distance is set at about half...

I get constant 40+ fps at IF..
    60+ at smaller instances..

40~60 in 40 men raid...

Your MBP should perform better than mine...
    really weird.

8. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I figure, but I dont know why its not.I should be able to do yours plus at full distance. Also are you at 1440x900?

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sounds like there is something going on with either your MPB or the OS.

I'd do a re-install of the OS, all the usual repair permissions etc and re-install WoW, then see.

Then I'd phone Apple and complain.

10. Cabbage macrumors newbie

FYI - I borrowed a Macbook Pro 2GHz with 2G ram on weekend. Was playing WoW at 1920x1200 (on a 23" Apple Display) no probs. Ran at about 25-35fps.

11. marchesani macrumors newbie

OSX Driver Downclock

If i'm not mistaken, from what i've read, the ATI card is downclocked under OSX probably to preserve battery or to reduce heat... check this article (maconintel.com). Since the driver that burns off the Bootcamp disk is essentially a stock ATI driver, there is no downclock (again, to my knowledge..) this might also be the reason the macbook seems hotter under Windows to some, though i personally have not experienced this.

12. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502