World of Warcraft on new 12" PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Azmordean, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Azmordean macrumors 6502

Well, the subject pretty much says it. I normally play WoW on my desktop PC (I don't use my single 1.8 G5 for gaming), but I do like to play it occasionally on the laptop when travelling. I currently have a DELL laptop (Latitude D600, Pentium M 1.6, 512 RAM, Radeon 9000 Mobility 32MB, 5200RPM HDD). The DELL plays it acceptably, but its not pretty or anything - the settings have to be knocked back a goodly bit (basically 1024x768 @ pretty low detail).

I am considering moving to the 12" powerbook, and am just curious how this will run WoW. My hope is that it will run it the same as my DELL, I don't expect too much more than that. I know the GO5200 is much maligned, but it does have double the VRAM of my laptop's Radeon 9000, so perhaps that all evens out? Thoughts?

PS: I am considering the stock 12" with combo drive, except I will get 768MB of RAM.

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

You will will be in roughly the same league overall with your new laptop as your old one. In some ways it will be a little slower and others a little more powerful so I think its a wash. Unfortuantely the current version of WoW has a performance bug on OSX that is scheduled to be fixed soon. That might hold you back a bit until the next patch is released.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Actually, the only major bugs remaining in WoW on the Mac are the incorrect detection of vertex shaders on graphics chipsets that don't have them, leading to graphical corruption, and a broken full-screen glow effect (probably driver issues). Nearly all of the performance bugs were fixed in the last patch/10.3.7's updated drivers. These two updates increased performance on the Mac significantly.

4. woodsey macrumors regular

Im also in the market for a WoW capiable powerbook and am assessing my options. Currently I play on a single processor PowerMac G4 1.25 with 1.25gb ram and ATI Radeon 9000 Pro with 64MB DDR SDRAM, with all the settings down, except resolution and texture quality, and am happy with the frame rate and overall performance.

I would get the 12 inch, but i havent heard good things about its graphic card, the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200. Would this play WoW at the same rate as my PowerMac G4?

Additionally, is there going to be much difference, WoW performance wise between the 12 inch and the 15 inch, which has the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM. I would expect some difference, but is it going to be noticeable?

Finally, how much better would the TI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM play WoW? I would expect a substantial increase in performance over the 64MB version, but (in true apple style) this card is only offered with the two most expensive computers.

I know i have asked a lot of open ended questions, and people dont like reading peoples posts about "Will WoW run on xxx computer", but i'm in the market for a powerbook and dont want to end up with something that plays WoW worse than my current setup.

5. Azmordean thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, regarding WoW performance. What would you say I can expect framerate wise from a new 12" powerbook? I would plan to play with all settings low and 1024x768 resolution.

At those settings, my current DELL laptop averages around 35fps. Its not gloriously pretty, but its playable. In busy areas, this number obviously drops some - in empty hallways it can shoot into the 50s or above (though only briefly). Can I expect similar results from the PB?

If not, I'll probably stick with my DELL until Apple does something about that worthless Geforce GO in the 12"

6. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

I've just ordered a 12" PB - but certainly not as a gaming machine :) the 12" is perfect for running applications and a few 3d things. It will run WoW but with 512 of ram (which i couldnt be bothered to upgrade) it wont be superfast - think 30 fps. But hell, if you wanted a fast game rig i'd get a powermac or a shuttle PC - not a laptop :)
    the 15"/17" (with the 128MB 9700) would be a better ..

Rob
    PS: if you put an additional 1 gig of ram in the 12" that should do the world of good .. (no pun intended)

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've played the European beta several hours a day the lasts week on a 12-inch (1.33GHz/768MB ram) and the conclusion is:
    •The game runs fine in 90% of the time (15-30 FPS)
    •Indoors in small caves and houses you'll see over 40 FPS
    •Large cities (SW, IF) with many players is playable (10-20 FPS)
    •Large raids (50+ people) is unplayable (4-8FPS)

Of course the new PB has a few extra MHz (1.5 vs 1.33), but the same GPU, so expect maybe a +10% better FPS..

I've run with LOW on all details, LOW viewing distance and 1024x768 res.

I would NOT recommend WOW on anything slower than a 12-inch 1.33MHz PB..

8. Apmonia macrumors regular

My Powerbook (see sig) runs it fine. Granted I only bought it this past Saturday so I am not really that good or that far (yet) but it seems to run pretty well for a laptop.

9. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I play wow on a 12" 1 Ghz iBook with 768 ram. It is believe it or not quite playable. I get around 15 fps (with all settings on low except textures which I keep on the highest setting). The trick is to quite the finder.

Ari 55 NE warrior on mannaroth

(I also have a 13 rogue[fele] and 10 warrior[aiya] on boulderfist if any one wants to give me gold)

10. Azmordean thread starter macrumors 6502

Cluthz does your PB have the standard hard drive, or a 5400 RPM model? I am thinking perhaps the biggest boost for WoW performance may come not from the few extra MHz of the new one, but the fact that 5400 RPM hard drives are now standard. I know WoW does a lot of texture loading on the fly, so its possible I may see a somewhat decent difference with the faster hard drive. Oh well, its not like I play WoW a ton on my laptop anyway, im sure the performance will be enough to "get by" - at this point, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the 12"! My buddy offered me 1000 for my PC laptop, so I feel its a good time to take the plunge.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Thats sure! Loading map/terrain is in background so lags will be smaller, but the general PFS will staty the same ( i have it both on internal 4200 and on external LaCie extreme) Using the internal HD only when away..
    IT sure runs better from the LaCie... But the FPS is the same...

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What happens in big raids??
    As said most of the time its running good (15-30FPS) but raids are horrible...
    Raids are also horrible on my iMac (1.8/1024/250)

13. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

25-35 on my powerbook with lows in the 10s
    17-25 on the imac with lows in the 5s

luckly the lows don't happen very offen. Griffen rides, IF, AH, and 50+ player raids.....

14. Croz macrumors newbie

What I really want to see...

Ahoy.

What I really want to see (as I am very interested as well), is how WoW runs on the new revs of the 12" and the 15"... or the difference in performance between the video cards.

If anyone can test this, I'm sure it would really really help a lot of people decide which powerbook to get for their WoW playing.

Let's see if we can get someone to answer this stuff! ;)

Croz

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

to answer woodsey's question, the 9700, whether it has 64 or 128mb of VRAM, will be TONS faster than the 5200 go.

in fact, it will run better on a 15" PB with 1Gb of RAM and the 128 9700 than it will on a dual 1.8ghz G5 tower with the standard 5200 "ultra"

Just to give you an idea of the difference we're talking about.

The 128mb of VRAm will help out a good bit in 3d games, but just the core of the 9700 will make a huge difference in your gaming experience on the 15"

the 5400 RPM drive will really only speed up load times if you have enough RAM. The only reason that you will notice an FPS improvement with the 5400 rpm drive is if you have less-than-enough RAM. If you're at 512mb, you're at the fringe. more than that, and going from 4200 to 5400 RPM will not raise your FPS by any noticeable factor. If you're swapping to the HD during gameplay, then you need more RAM. even a 10K SCSI HD won't make up the difference that having enough RAM will make.

16. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well as you would guess it becomes unplayble. Although the sever crashes 70% of the time anyway.

17. starstreak macrumors 6502

Been playing wow on my notebook on lunch breaks at work. It works OK. Right now I'm in darkshire and my average for running down the road is around 9fps. And if I dont move and rotate, I can get anywhere from 4-25fps. so go figure. I'm dloading the 10.3.8 and hoping for the best.
    Gotta love the speed boost that Hawaii Road Runner gives. We now run at 5Mb/sec down and 385Kb/sec upstream. I just dloaded the whole 27.7mb file un under 3mins.

18. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

kind of off the subject here (i really haven't played w/ the new PB's much), but how do you check framerate in WOW? i know there's a command, but i just haven't seen it written anywhere.

i play on an older dual 1.25G MDD G4 w/ a new 128MB Radeon card. i was a little (ok, a lot) bummed w/ the performance when i installed the new card (i THINK it's an 8800 Pro or something), but it has improved some. i'm hoping it will get better w/ new patches & maybe even the new OS update that i saw on the front page.

great game. i've wasted many an hour in the past couple months. the char that i'm playing right now is a lvl 24 gnome warlock named Háfpint.

19. woodsey macrumors regular

Thanks for answering my question benpatient.

I did a bit of research, and it didnt take me long to realise that the 15" was far and away the better option for my WOW needs! I orderd a BTO 15" with the 128MB Chip on the 6th of Feb. It should ship before 28th of Feb, which is a bit longer than I would have liked, but i guess its my fault for not ordering it straight after they were announced. Ill have to wait and see about the RAM. I know that 512 is the real minimum for WOW, and if it starts to effect performance, ill have to look to upgrade to 1GB or 1.5GB.

20. woodsey macrumors regular

Control-r

21. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

thx. have fun w/ the powerbook. i really DO think you'll see better performance out of the PB than the iBook, especially when it comes to games. there's not a ton of GHz difference, but between the better graphics card & more bus speed, i think you'll be pleased w/ the PB.

mine's getting old in the tooth: 400MHz TiBook. great for surfing, didn't even bother installing WOW...