World of Warcraft on new Ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jonomo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jonomo macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2005
    I wonder if WoW will be DECENTLY playable on the new Ibook? Will there be an improved change from the old one?

I already have a 1 gig memory stick to put into it.. so 1.5 gigs is pretty hefty... but the game will really bottleneck on the Graphics card, which only seems to meet the bare minimum requirements...

I've played it on the 1.5 Powerbook with 1.25 ram... and it was pretty choppy.. but still playable....

anyone got any thoughts on this? :D
  2. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2005
    damn playing WoW on a 12 inch...that takes skill...anyways performance isn't going to get better.
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    It will be playable, but not good. The video card is just not very great.
  4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    It won't be the best, But i think it'll do in a resolution of 1024x768
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Which is all it has to do, since that's the display resolution of the 12'' iBook
  6. i-Apple macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2005
    im guessing halo or C&C generals wont work too gr8 either
  7. TheSisko macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2005
    It will be similar to the old iBook, i.e. playable if you lower the view-distance to minimum and reduce the texture quality.
  8. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    What exactly is considered "playable" I dont want lag, nor do i want it to run on full graphics
  9. bluemouse macrumors member

May 1, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    It plays just fine. Yeah, you have to lower all the graphics options, but with 768 RAM, my friend does just fine. I wouldn't describe it as choppy; personally, I think it's pretty smooth.
    And as for WoW on a 12" screen, that's what I play on. I think it's just fine. *shrug*
  10. jonomo thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2005
    I played some warsong gulch on my new ibook last night... everything was turned down... the graphics are a bit choppy... and you can't see too far into the distance... but its playable..... its my backup for wow for when I go on business trips.. so its fine..

11. jblodgett macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2005
    When I first got WoW for my PC - although my PC came with 128 megs of video memory (which was shared!) - I only had 512 Megs of Ram. Ironforge and Stormwind were terrible-- I bet I got 1 frame a second- if that. It was almost impossible to play those areas.

I bought a gig memory upgrade to bring my total system memory up to 1.5 gigs and now the game runs GREAT.

So for those of you who are having some problems with choppiness, I would encourage you to BUY MORE RAM.
  12. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    What about a 1.5 GB 14" iBook? How would that do on WoW?
  13. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks mate, I the second thread I had seen before, but not the first one