OS X World of Warcraft on your new Retina... performance?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by UnixMac, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

UnixMac

So I'm a bit disappointed in the performance I'm seeing in wow on my new laptop... I sprung for the top of the line, but I can't even run the game in "Recommended" settings which is well below max at any more than 10-15 fps... granted I'm on a high pop realm, but should this be? Did Bliz kick up the graphics that much? or is this a case of badly optimized graphics for the mac?

Would I get much better performance running it under windows 8?

Anyone else have any feedback?

2. macrumors 65816

I'm assuming from your specs you mean the 15" rMBP.

1. Do not run at 2880x1800... run a lower res, or it will run slow.

2. turn off the auto graphics switching so the nvidia GPU is on all the time. Some games have problems at times with auto switching and I have no idea why... and some games get slightly better performance if you do this.

3. Try resetting your SMC and see how it works... some people have complained about their GPUs getting stuck in a low power cool mode and running bad, and a SMC reset often fixes that.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

UnixMac

thanks, the lower res helped, but its odd as the games own best or recommended settings call for the 2880 res..

4. macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

It just recommends the highest resolution the screen can run as the game was made when 1024x78 was stiill common ;)