World of Warcraft (Open beta or soemthing released?)

Discussion in 'Games' started by iZzle, Nov 1, 2004.

1. iZzle macrumors member

does anyone knwo what the download is. blizz wont say anything, and when you have to log in if you click sign up, it doesnt load anything......sigh...

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

obviously the open beta client, it's just not up for download yet. they have setup the framework for it when it becomes available however. i also assume previous CB players can get started before us, that's kind of lame but okay.

3. iZzle thread starter macrumors member

The info:

YOu gotta subscribe to fileplanet to participate in the final stress test. sigh. not worth it. open beta in approx. a week. and in response im nto sure. bc im downloaidng the OB installer. it just wont be active. :mad:

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

And as usual it's North America only... err.. wait, New Zealand and Australia too? Say what?

Not that it helps me much.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i'm really tired of blizzard.

i love wow, but the hoops blizzard is making us jump through just to play is embarrassing to say the least.

i'm not even sure i'm going to bother paying to play this game, it used to seem "worth" the monthly fee, but at the moment i'd rather not even bother.

does anyone know if everquest 2 is mac compatible? it's time for me to look at alternatives, i've never been so disappointed with blizzard in my life. they may make good games, but have zero business capabilities.

6. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Its a BETA people, costing blizzard tens of thousands of dollars to do, and will benefit YOU the player in the end, give blizzard a break.

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

no, the beta has been up forever (since 2003). this is a final stress test, for no other reason than FilePlanet is paying off blizzard. it won't benefit any of us to allow closed beta testers more time to pump up their characters to lvl 60 so they can go noob hunting. give me a break.

8. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

The CB testers are going to be wiped before retail, so there will be no lvl 60's hunting you. Although, I'm sure it won't take long.

I can't believe that you're complaining that you have to sign up for file planet to play a game for free. If it were the retail version, you'd have to buy it (boxed) and sign up for the monthly fee before you could even play. I haven't been lucky enough to play the beta, but I'd gladly sign up if they told me to.

I don't think EQ2 will have a mac client... it took them 4 years to even make a Mac client of EQ1 and it's a crippled version at best... no LDoN, no new expansions. Mac users can only play on a single Mac user server. WoW is the only MMORPG that I know of aiming to release Mac/Windows at the same time(or release a Mac version at all) I like Blizzard more, just for that reason alone.

there are countless MMO's without a mac version, and without a version in the works. (L2, CoH, Guild Wars, FFXI, etc.)

9. shortyjj macrumors regular

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding the client on fileplanet, and worldofwarcraft.com isn't working. Anybody have the link to the download? Do you need to register first?

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The one on FilePlanet is for subscribers only.

11. shortyjj macrumors regular

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

If you want to play in the Stress Test, then yes. The Open Beta should be free for all, though.

A FilePlanet subscription isn't such a bad thing, though. You get offered chances at beta tests and similiar goodies all the time. Since I'm in Europe, I won't get a place in this beta test, though.... (Why, Blizzard, Why?!)

13. rbarris macrumors 6502

the time between the FilePlanet Final Stress test and the open beta will not be large, because FilePlanet is giving away keys like crazy, and the Open Beta will be enabled shortly after FP runs out of keys for their promotion.

Which is a lengthy way of saying "be patient".

There will be additional free play time prior to commercial release.

14. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yeah umm no. The open beta starts 1 week from today according to blizz.

15. rbarris macrumors 6502

OK thanks for the heads up. o_O

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

way to go genius...tell blizzard that they are wrong...if you didn't notice rob is a blizzard employee...so what he says, goes basically. thanks for your input but you don't no ****, listen to the designers, they do.

17. shortyjj macrumors regular

So the stress test is to benefit Blizzard, but we have to pay? I don't get it.

Somebody made the argument that you have to help pay for the bandwidth, but then there should be other way to download the client, ie bittorrent

18. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

hey rob, do you know if you are guarenteed a spot if you sign up at FP? I've been trying to register with them since you announced it this morning, and they haven't even accepted my registration ( i get a continuous error). I called them to setup manually and they just told me to try again in 30 minutes due to server traffic. 3 hours later, still getting errors, and I don't want to sign up for FP for anything other than getting to play the stress test...

GOD DAMNIT I'M SO ****ING ANGRY WITH EVERYONE RIGHT NOW! TAKE MY ****ING MONEY GIVE ME A STRESS TEST ACCOUNT AND MOVE ON! WHY MUST EVERYONE MAKE MY LIFE SUCH A HASSLE I JUST WANT TO PLAY A ****ING GAME! WHY ME!?!?!

VOTE KERRY.

19. rbarris macrumors 6502

Well, unless there is some surprise diasater (tornado anyone?!)

The stress test is in phases. The first phase has the fileplanet people in it. Then it morphs into Open Beta which is in a way, the ultimate stress test. I think we're being pragmatic by offering this to a subset of users before opening the floodgates completely. Fileplanet also has huge servers capable of doling out the 2.5GB download to many thousands of downloaders simultaneously, and that kind of gear doesn't run for free.

I suspect a week from now we'll easily forget what all the fuss was about.

20. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I need to stop visiting these forums... all they do is anger me. There are so many people that think that people have to go out of their way to give them free stuff, well let me tell you something, your wrong. Its that simple, if you don't like it, don't pay for it and don't use it.

Don't go bitching about how blizzard sucks because they didn't buy servers and pay for bandwidth for your personal pleasure.

21. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

rbarris

Any idea when the Euro beta will open? Are we talking days, weeks or months after the NA/NZ/Aus beta? I can't seem to find any good answer to that :)

Vlade I actually have a FP subscription (or actually, two at the moment). I'm just annoyed that I still can't play ;)

22. iZzle thread starter macrumors member

Uhmm...yeah...anyways. I'm downloading the Open Beta Installer right now (have been for 5 hours). I don't know how to find it on Blizz, but soemone gave me a link earlier. If anyone wants the 470KB .dmg, I'll send it in iChat (Screenname: ElFishGil). O well i've got a fun ~15 hours ahead of me.

This is what I think, but I may be wrong. The 2.5 gig file that anyone can DL is the OB installer (like the file is titled) but it won't be playable till they start OB. Input is welcome.

Vlade, please chill out and don't go all phsyco on me. Try voicing your opinion wihtout being so aggressive if you wanna say something. :rolleyes:

"Don't go bitching about how blizzard sucks because they didn't buy servers and pay for bandwidth for your personal pleasure."<--Needed? I think not.

EDIT: It seems like Blizz doesn't like the link being given out. Any info on what the file is? Look @ this WoW Forum thread

23. shortyjj macrumors regular

Anybody care to "seed" the OB installer with bittorrent? The more people we get downloading it, the faster it goes, and the less hassle a week from now

(I'm not paying for FilePlanet - how much of a benefit could it be to a Mac user?)

24. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

In about a week maybe we closed beta testers will have the torrent file downloaded...

25. iZzle thread starter macrumors member

well how am i downloading it and im not in closed beta?