World of Warcraft Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord_Bremen, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Lord_Bremen macrumors newbie

I'm running WoW on my dual 2.5, Geforce 6800, etc. comp. with all the settings maxed.

You would think this would be fine...but, at seemingly random times (though nearly every time I use a wind rider also) I'll drop below 10 FPS. I don't consider anything less than 20 or so playable, so this is a problem.

I think the problem is probably lack of RAM, I only have 1 GB, so i just ordered 2 more GB that should be here in a few days.

If the RAM does not fix it, what could be the problem?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Look through the other threads on WoW. There are some really good tips for getting better performance.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Lack of RAM is not your problem, since WoW currently only uses less than 300 MB maximum. 1 GB is more than enough unless you have a ton of other things open while playing. There have been many reports on problems because of the Nvidia 6800 drivers, so probably all you can do is wait for them to patch (note that Blizzard, Nvidea, and Apple may all have to issue updates before you'll see any improvement). I think there's a Blizzard patch regarding video cards today, isn't there? Even on high-end Macs without the 6800, you probably won't see more than about 40 fps at the most (except for certain indoor scenarios), so don't expect miracles. WoW is just not built to be a framerate monster in the way that Quake/Unreal-based games are. But yeah, you should be getting more than 20 fps with that rig.

4. a2daj macrumors member

Drop Texture Distance down a bunch. That should help performance.

High end Macs with the high end cards should easily be able to get more than 40 fps in normal game play.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I've also noticed that a faster hard drive helps alot. I have a 10k rpm raptor, and I seem to get faster FPS than most people with the same processor and video card. Also, I don't drop that much when I am flying, presumably becuase my hard drive can load the textutures faster. Since WoW has no "zones" like Everquest and others, it loads textures on the fly, which makes it seem more seemless, but also runs slower especially when you fly since you are moving over land so fast, i.e newer textures.

I would recomend getting a faster HD, you can get a 76gig 10K raptor SATA HD for around 120 on newegg.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I have a new hard drive showing up tomorrow for my PM. This was because I needed more space. I'll test this theory, however, and let you know if my WoW performance improves.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I just got a 30" ACD and will be running it off my x800 card. Can I expect WoW to perform about the same under the native resolution as it did on my 20" Display?

8. unfaded macrumors 6502

With no upgrade in card? No, why on earth would that happen? You're making it harder for the graphics card, so naturally, a decrease in fps :)

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Normally, Blizzard is pretty good about keeping Mac and PC performance fairly balanced. WoW has left me a little upset at Blizzard. My backup PC (Athlon 1700/256 megs of low end pc2100/ geforce2 Ti) runs WoW pretty decently, and I run it perfectly (with some antialiasing) on my gaming computer (see sig). If WoW can't run on Lord_Bremen's computer, then Blizzard really dropped the ball.

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

This is a follow-up to my other post regarding my hard drive upgrade.

I removed my stock Seagate 7200.7 and replaced it with a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB drive in my PM 1.8 w/ 2.5 GB RAM, X800 video card. Currently both system files and applications are on the main (boot) drive.

I did experience what I would characterize a "small" improvement in performance, particularly graphics lag when flying through graphic-intensive areas. This gain was slight and hardly worth mentioning.

This improvement could have been due to installing a fresh copy of OS X or (more likely) the faster hard drive and it's 16 MB cache. Have no idea what improvements (if any) one would see with a second scratch drive for apps/WoW.

In short, I wouldn't recommend a hard drive upgrade in order to improve WoW performance. If possible, RAM or video card (X800 = WOW!) first.

Edit: Forgot to add, I did notice a large performance increase and graphics quality improvement when I went into my ATI control panel and enabled "Super X4" anti-aliasing. Yes, turning it ON improved performance! :)

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That seems to me to support the theory that WoW has a problem with allocating system memory. A lot of people report that WoW only uses 300mb or so of RAM, but with the massive size of this game, it must be loading textures and map files directly from the harddrive, It seems to me that some sort of intellegent caching of textures into memory (ie create an ever updating list of textures that are likely to be used based on location, current/recent activities, character race and class, and the race/class of teammembers or people in the area. Sort this list by likelyhood of need and also texture size, and load them in that order into memory until space has run out) would solve a lot of the issues peopel have.

I'd like to see someone with a PM and 6 or more GBs of RAM copy the WoW directy into a RAM disc (it's about 4 gbs right?) and then play it from there to see what kind of speed increases they get. The 'jerkiness when spinning, but then smoother overall play afterward' reports I hear often also seem to support the idea that WoW isn't effectively caching textures.

That's very interesting... I wonder if WoW has some sort of software routine to reduce jaggies or smooth the image somehow that gets disabled when hardware FSAA is detected? On a related note, does anyone
    know if there is an application to make manual changes to NVidia video hardware like the ATI Control Panel?

Rob

12. a2daj macrumors member

What resolution are you using? 4x Supersampling FSAA only works up to 1024x768. 2x Supersampling works up to 1280x1024. Running at resolutions above those will disable FSAA. Multisample FSAA works at all resolutions AFAIK. Also for WoW, there are some known issues with FSAA so it's not recommended to run with it enabled.

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Must have been 2x as I play at 1680 (?) x somethinghuge. :)

I'll check when I get home. :)

14. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

WoW on my G4 1ghz PB

I play WoW on my Tibook and find it to be very acceptable. 64mb video card, 512k ram etc...

The only real drag is when I fly around on the Griffons, then it gets really choppy. :p

15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am in Europe, and I've been playint the public beta. I have a 2,5 dual GHz mac and an ATI 9600XT with 1GByte RAM. And it runs pretty decently. The fact is that some times I experience hickups, and that shows that the game loads the world to display from the hard drive... But my framerate is 30 fps without antialiasing and all the other settings maxed.

The fact is that many players had encounter probs with older versions of WOW. When they updated their wow clients and updated their system to 10.3.7 they saw a dramatic improvement in framerates... especially those with an nVidia 6800. Did you try that?

16. Jaz macrumors regular

I can report a positive experience with my Powerbook (1.5 G4, 1.5Gb RAM).

I normally run on a PC (better for games, admit it :) and that's an Athlon 64 3500+ with 512Mb RAM. On the road I use my PB.

On the PB, the texture goes down and lots of the funky shaders are turned off but I get decent frame rate on my PB, and high rates on my PC. I have a G5 DP2.5 with a 6800 but it's a production machine and I won't try it on that.

I find that my PB is a bit better when there is major lag on the servers! By that I mean it does not freeze or bump as much. Still lag on the environment interactions (spells, mobs etc.) but the game just seems more robust on the Mac. The PC is for games that's why I have it, but I don't think the Mac perf is as bad as the comments here.

17. tubedogg macrumors regular

I've got a dual-1.8 PowerMac with 2GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition, running at 1600x1200 and I've had virtually no slow-down problems except when looking at extremely large groups of people (> 30 I'd say).

18. G5guy macrumors member

with 10.3.8, my WoW performance seems much better! I turned on the full screen glow option (release notes said better) and griffen rides and Ironforge are far smoother than at any previous setting! I never need to do the 360 spin in a new place either. This kind of thing was not mentioned in the release notes (NVIDIA driver improvements - generic statement) but I played for a few hours and there is definitely a major improvement for me (2ghz PM G5, 6800 Ultra).

Anyone else notice this? Don?