World of Warcraft Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by patseguin, Nov 4, 2004.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I'm playing the game now on a dual 2 GHz G5 with 1 GB RAM and nVidia 6800 Ultra. I set the game to 1680 X 1050 and maxed everything out and performs like crap, not to mention no pixel shader effects are enabled on Mac. I had hoped anything I threw at the 6800 would be no problem. Anyone else having performance problems? I'm also playing it on my Dell XPS laptop with 256MB Radeon 9800 Mobility at 1920 X 1200 with everything maxed and all pixel shader options on. It is smooth as silk.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

From what I have read the drivers for the 6800 suck right now, you have to wait untill Apple makes some better ones.

FWIW the WoW stress test ran at 70fps in indoor areas, and 30fps outdoors, maxed out at 1920X1200 res on my home computer in my sig.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Any problems with that 23"? I had one but returned it because of the pink problem.

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Barely a pink tint on it, nothing calibrating didn't fix.

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

This is REALLY bad news... I was hopeing this card would rock. It's almost like they're using the 5200 driver for the 6800's Wouldn't supprise me a bit if all they added was 30" support to the 5200 driver...

Should i cancel my GT preorder?

6. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I have heard that the first release of the driver sucks. Hopefully it will be better in 10.3.6. I don't think it's nearly worth the money now though.

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I'm curious how you got those numbers.

8. iZzle macrumors member

Has anyone played on the PowerBook that i have in my signature? :confused:

9. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

maybe there's a room in WOW that only has 4 walls, a roof, a floor, all with no textures, and no lighting...

Yeah, there's just no way.

10. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I wonder if another .5 or full GIG of RAM would help...

11. bertinman macrumors 6502

maybe you guys have some other external problem besides the game...

I run it on a 1gig ti book with a ati9000. just fine for me. not "70fps" at any moment but I can kick some ass in raids no prob. And, if you can do that, your framerate is fine.

seems like ati drivers are better than nvidias at this point.

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, I just ran the game the whole time with the FPS monitor up, I forget what the command is to show it, maybe Apple + R? Anyway, that's just what I was getting, it was the stress test, from what I hear Blizzard have made many changes since then, I wouldn't be surprised if it ran slower now . . .

13. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Nope, pretty much all indoor areas gave me 60-70 fps. Specifically the Ironforge zone in Dun Morogh, I remeber getting 60-70 there, and that zone is a huge indoor city.

Plus, you are using dual 1.8 and vraxus is using single 1.8 G5, maybe the processor has a significant impact on performance?

14. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Tests have shown that the Rev.A(2x900mhz bus 8gb max) dual 1.8 is unnoticably slower than the dual 2.0 given the same hardware config. My dual also has the advantage of RAID 0, which makes it faster than any stock mac. I doubt the RAID helps though...

I sure hope WOW isn't CPU bound to the point where it demands a 2.0G5 for acceptable framerates... From my understanding, this game is more GPU/Bandwidth bound than CPU, in which case, we're using the same GPU and should be getting similar performance. My original WOW experience was definately enjoyable on my system, but i wanted to run the moe foe @1600x1200 with everything turned up. Sounds like even with the 6800 that's not gonna happen.

EDIT: also like to point out that WOW is not SMP enabled. I know their marketing campain states, "Optimized for use on Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading", but i highly doubt the app was written to take advantage of multi-processor machines. If they seperated the audio into a seperate thread, maybe i would see minor speed improvements of vraxus, but since hes got a much better vcard than either of us, i doubt we'd beat him.

15. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I had hoped the 6800 would allow me to max everything out too. I don't think WOW has a next-generation graphics engine so a 6800 should chew it up and spit it out. My mobility 9800 256MB runs smooth with everything maxed and 2X antialiasing. I guess I'll be enjoying WOW on my laptop until the Mac version runs better.

The game is addicitive as crack isn't it though?

16. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Sure is.

I've been playing on my PC for the most part, but just for kicks I fired it up on my Powerbook -- 1.33 / R9700, and it runs well enough to play, but not great.

I'm surprised to hear that it performs poorly on the G5s -- I'd think if it was decent on my powerbook they'd have no problems.

17. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

It's the crappy nvidia driver port done by apple. I've got money says they took the driver code for the 5200, added support for 30" and ddvi, flashed the 6800 rom, and called it quits. This really pisses me off.

18. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

my 6800U is...

on its way back to Apple... not worth $550 let alone the $600 that most have to pay...

what a shame.

will await the X cards from ATI

19. xgsrpg macrumors member

I have. As of yesterday, the game was running around 12-19FPS, with most of the areas being around 16/17 FPS. I noticed that bringing the resolution down for me didn't do anything, the only setting I had to bring down alot was terrain view distance, which heightened performance dramatically without hampering enjoyment of the game.

20. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I may do the same exact thing. I'll probably have to pay a restocking fee and get an adapter for my new aluminum display to work with my 9600 card (ADC) though.

21. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Well WoW runs great at 1680 by 1050 on the g5 in my sig. I don't worry over frames per sec i just know it runs smooth and looks great everything is maxed out. I love this game. :D

22. xgsrpg macrumors member

I don't worry about FPS either, but people's level of when a game is acceptable for play is different. FPS is a concrete way of measuring performance, and people can find out for themselves whether that is acceptable for them. For example, one person that gets 20FPS might say "I get good performance," but a person who gets 25FPS might say "it runs horribly slow." It all depends on people's opinion.

23. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

are you sure?

just a note, my G5 / 9600 (stock) has both a DVI and an ADC connector.

24. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

well 10.3.6 is out...

and I still do not regret sending the 6800U back...

would like to know how it performs with the latest drivers tho.

my $550 feels better in my billfold :), perhaps a photo iPod!

25. kgapp macrumors member

30" with 6800 ultra performance report

I am running the beta WOW on a 2.5 G5 with 6800 Ultra in 2560X1600 resolution on a 30" display. My performance with all settings maxed is quite acceptable. I average 50-60 frames outdoors and 60-90 frames indoors. Now my system is pretty much maxed out in terms of performance but I am surprised you are taking such a performance hit with a 2.0 and the 6800. I would think that with my increased resolution I would have similar results to yours. Do you have a lot of other background applications running that could be slowing you down? Perhaps the newly released 10.3.6 will offer performance gains. I am cloning right now in preparation for the update.