World Of Warcraft-question

Discussion in 'Games' started by starstreak, Dec 9, 2004.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I noticed in the gfx option, everything in the bottem left is greyed out (shadows and such I believe) is that because this laptop only have a Nvidia 5200 w/64mb ram? Or is that the thing other people were talking about that WOW disabled some gfx features on purpose on a mac?

Thanks,
    Starstreak

2. rbarris macrumors 6502

Those features will be re-enabled with a combination of a future driver patch from Apple and a new patch to WoW to leverage the fixes.

3. akira117 macrumors member

akira117

rbarris is there a reason why you would quote him when he is right above you? :confused:

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

[​IMG] is closer to the text than [​IMG]. The lazy live longer!

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

LOL!

6. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I really hope that is in 10.3.7. I want to play on my G5!

EDIT: Just saw this over on AppleInsider:

Apple Computer on Thursday seeded its developers with Mac OS X 10.3.7 build 7S214, a pre-release copy of a forthcoming upgrade to its "Panther" operating system.

Currently weighing in at 25.4 MB, the maintenance update focuses on audio, printing, graphics, OpenGL intensive games, and FireWire storage and audio devices.

The Mac OS X 10.3.7 update is also highly rumored to include support for the initial release of Xsan, Apple's storage area network file system, as well as new products to be introduced in early 2005.

In a set of developer notes accompanying the software, the company said the latest build delivers "improved graphics performance affecting ATI and NVIDIA cards."

7. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Man I hope so, it already sux that Apple only put a Nvidia 5200 in this 12.1 PB. Apple has my PC beat in looks, but the PC seems to upgrade a while lot faster. :)

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You want to here something funny about laptops? My roommate bought a new dell laptop. It has 3.0gHz processor, 256mb ram and 60gb hard drive. the thing is huge. Its pretty much a desktop replacement. I looked into what the video card was and almost rolled into the floor laughing. The video card was a NVidia Go5200 w/ 32mb of shared memory.

I guess Apple isn't the only one who does stupid things with hardware in their laptops.

Back on topic:
    When I ran the beta on my laptop (see sig) I never had any problems with stuff being grayed out. Maybe reinstalling the game will fix it. If you still have the same problem I say repair permissions. Finally, as a last resort, Restart the computer. After that, I don't know what to tell you

9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

As rbarris said, the stuff that is currently grayed out is suppossed to be greyed out. I believe this was done at some point during the beta, which would explain why at one time you had all options enabled.

Like many of you, I also hope that OS X.3.7 gives WoW a nice little bump in the performance department.

10. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

This one I know the answer to. Its smart of Dell. It was an option to ge tthe vid card. It also had the option to get a ATI9600 128mb option. Apple doesn't have that optionfor my 12.1 unit. That's what I meant. They should've given the choice for those who were looking for a "gaming" type laptop. Granted the 12.1in screen is small, but that's what I needed or I would've gotten the 15in unit with the nice 9700gfx card.

11. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

I have been a powerbook user for the past 6 years, and I'm just getting into computer gaming now thanks to the folks at Blizzard (WoW is incredibly addictive). I currently own a first generation Titanium Powerbook 400MHz. It's a great machine and has been my trusty sidekick for the past 4 years but as one can imagine, it's absolutely unfit to play most of todays games.

A few months ago, when I started getting in to playing computer games, I contemplated buying a new Apple notebook but then I realized that getting a new powerbook at this point wouldn't be my best option. I can't justify paying over 2 grand for another G4 powerbook. Sure, it would suit all my current needs and I don't do anything that would require the horsepower of the G5, but I gotta invest for the future and my past Mac purchases have been processor upgrades (Mac Classic -> Performa 575 -> PowerMac 6100 -> Powerbook G3 (Lombard) -> Titanium Powerbook G4).

So my other option was to make a few improvements on an old PC that my father had given to me after he himself switched to an iBook. I decided to turn this PC into a gaming machine because it would cost a lot less than buying a brand new Powerbook. All the PC needed was a new video card and some extra RAM which cost me a grand total of $180.

Once the next generation powerbook is released, I'll be one of the first in line to place an order. Even by then, I'm not going to hold my breath and hope that whatever new powerbook Apple decides to release will have eye-popping graphics. It's still a notebook after all.

I guess my whole point is that if you're really interested in computer gaming, a notebook computer isn't really the way to go. Desktops are more upgradable. Aside from Alienware's laptop, you can't upgrade video cards in notebook computers. I've upgraded mostly everything that I can in my 400Mhz Powerbook except for the video card. It's still chugging along at 8MB of RAM. That's just my own personal experience from what I've noticed over the years, that's all. It's the price you pay for mobility I suppose...

12. hop2_it macrumors newbie

WoW under 10.3.7 Builds 7s210 + 7s214

Hello fellow WoW fans. Just a bit of background information: I am running WoW on a 1.5Ghz G4 PBook with 1GB memory, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro, and an 80 GB (5400RPM) HD.

So, it seems clear that my system is WELL above the requirements for playing WoW. Yet, along with the rest of you I have had sub par performance thus far under 10.3.6.

Using my torrent resources, I decided to be a trailblazer and install 10.3.7 (build 7S210) on my iPod and run WoW from the internal drive. Keep in mind that build 7S210 did NOT include any update to the graphics drivers. However, I found a major improvement in graphics performance regardless! I am so pleased with the speed boost that currently I am exclusively playing WoW with the iPod as my startup drive. And, from what I hear, build 7S214 includes the updated graphics drivers for the newer nVidia and ATI cards; I cannot wait until I get my hands on it! Anyway, for all of you waiting anxiously I am here to tell you: 10.3.7 brings hope to Mac gamers everywhere!!!

P.S. - If you know where I can obtain build 7S214 and/or if you have an invite to Mac TKA, PLEASE email me! Thanks a lot!

P.P.S. - World of Warcraft = Digital Crack *sniff*

13. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Great to hear.

I'm tired of sub-ppar performance on my 6800 GT. :(

14. rbarris macrumors 6502

I won't comment on stuff that is under NDA, please note that best results are going to follow the release new drivers from Apple/ATI/NVIDIA as well as some WoW code improvements of our own. This series of improvements will not all happen at once, you will see some improvements in the short term and more later on (Jan-Feb). Wish I had more time to delve into details but I am busy working on some of those improvements
    :cool:

15. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

rbarris-
    If youre really from Blizzard, I'm glad to see someone comes here to give a listen to whats going on. I'm a pc person myself, but so crazy about Wow, that since I just bought a mac for Christmas and wanted at least this game to work. Do you know if the nvidia 5200 will get an improvement with the Wow patch? I saw not improvement with the OS patch.
    Thanks!

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

For those of you who played the beta with all the now-greyed-out "eye candy" options turned on, I'm just curious, did they make a big difference? Can you describe some of the effects? How drastically is performance degraded by turning them on? Thanks.