World of Warcraft Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by gwuMACaddict, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

so... i hear that everyone loves this game, etc. i've never been in to gaming, but enjoyed the occasional round of warcraft III. i've got a new iMac 20inch Rev B, and i think i'd like to get in to World of Warcraft... but i have a few questions...

1. will it run well on the computer?
    2. is it like warcraft III, or do i only command a single person through levels- like diablo?
    3. do i have to play online? or can i just play on my own? does that mean i have to pay a monthly fee to play the game?

newbie questions i'm sure... thanks for the help!

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

From what I've read on the forums, It should run well. It's not very demanding, and there's plenty of things to turn off.

You only control one person. Like Diablo you can form and join groups and gain pets.

Like all MMORPGs (at least all I know of) it's a online-only game.
    You have to pay a monthly fee to play. It's £12.99/month. IIRC, with rebates if you pre-pay for 3 or 6 months. (Don't know what it is in USD). Somewhat expensive for a MMORPG, but I think it's worth it.
    Blizzard will keep you characters on their servers for at least 6 months (and possibly longer), if you decide to stop playing and paying. So it's fine to take a break, if you wish.

3. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

whoa... whats MMORPG?

but i could play diablo on just my computer... granted... it wasn't always as much fun... i can't even play world of warcraft by myself???

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Dubbz already answered everything quite well. You must pay to play. But for the price in the US, you can choose to pay every month, or purchase say, 6 months of gaming-- if you pay once a month it's $15, if you do the bulk month purchase, I think you can get it for about $13 a month.

Shrugg, I have your iMac and I'm becoming sorely tempted to get WoW. But I am sort of afraid to play w/ other people. Hee. :eek:

5. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

DON'T GET SUCKED IN!!!

I am enjoying the game, but if I had the choice to go back, I would stop myself from falling into this game!! It's VERY addictive. If you don't mind wasting ALL your time on a game, go for it.

You have been warned....

6. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

The game is very solo-able. BUT, you will need more people if you want to get the really cool items.

BTW, MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.

BTW, BTW = By The Way.

:D

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

MultiM__OnlineRolePlayingGame. I think... hehe.

Yeah, I play Diablo II LoD by myself. But you can't really play WoW by yourself... I hear some of the quests are literally impossible w/out a huge organized team. That's another point (aside from paying so much $) that turns me off from trying WoW out.

::edit::MacAmus beat me by a nanosecond since both our posts say the same time. :D

8. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Yes, there are end game dungeons where you will need 40 people. I have not done that and I am NOT looking forward to it. There is one enemy that needs 40 people to pound on her - Onyxia. A dragon that takes about 6 hours to get to and maybe another 30 minutes to kill.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*whimpering* I'm scared of playing w/ other people. I'm really slow (w/ everything, using potions, picking stuff up) so if I play w/ others they A) get angry that I'm so slow, B) get all the cool stuff that drops. Sigh, guess I'll save some money and a lotta time if I don't play WoW.

10. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting... thanks for the quick answers... definitely answered the questions i had... you guys are great...

think i'm going to stick to warcraft III, i dont play very often, and World of Warcraft seems a little too intense for me

11. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

You'll get used to it! I had no idea what was going on at 1st either. By the time you get to the end game content, you should be OK.

I play Paladin. I remeber at level 40 something (the cap is 60), I was the group's healer. I was pretty nervous, but pulled through just fine. No one died.

However, there are some very nasty players on WoW. Its just like any other online game out there. You will find nice players and nasty players. I don't mean to scare you, but WoW has some of the most evil people on Earth. No joke.

In referance to the 40 people Onyxia level, one time this guy stole all the loot she dropped. Imagine; spending close to 6 hours fighting to and defeating a super boss character. THEN some jerk off takes all the items!!

You see, in WoW the practice is to pass on the loot dropped and then discuss who will roll on what. A warrior should NOT roll on cloth item, a Paladin should NOT roll on a dagger and a Priest should not roll on Plate Armor. Why? Because such items are of no use to them (said classes can not use these items - well Warriors can use cloth,... but why?!). With Onyxia, she drops EPIC items. These are near godly. And to have some jerk off steal them while you are discussing who will get what is the most painful thing.

I once was in a low leve instance and the group leader did let me have ANYTHING. I left 1/2 way threw. He then spammed General Chat about me being a fag. I responded by saying he did not let me have anything that dropped off the enemies. He said I was lying. At that point about 4 other players chimed in and vouched for what he was doing. He did it to other people as well. He set the loot rule to master and would keep everything. He just wanted bodies to help him kill things while he kept all the item drops.

Well, thats enough of me scaring you! If anything, find an internet cafe or a friend and buy an account card and give it a try. The worst that can happen is you lose $15 for the account card and/or hijack you're bud's PC of a month.

:)

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You just need to play with the right people. If they lack patience, and steal the good stuff without regards for others in the group, then you don't want to be with them anyway. :)

I think I know how you feel though, since I don't always feel confortable in groups, but solo-play is just fine, at least in the beginning. So far I've gone alone (with a few exceptions) and it's still been fun. You just need to be more careful. But it can be more fun to group with people, at least when it's people you already know.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I can't wait for my powermac to arrive so i can play this game ><!

14. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I would very much recommend not going on a pvp server. Thosee are hardcore and annoying. Go on a normal server you will enjoy the game much more.

You can still fight other people just in the designated battle ground areas. On a pvp server some one from another ealm can fight u while you are in the middle of a quest. It gets old very quick.

15. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

solution: find people you like to party with and add them to your friends. then just party with these people, thats all that i do and me and my group of friends kick ass, no issues with loot, no problems wit bad people, just lots of fun.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Although there was a more serious reason I quit WoW, this aspect might have ultimately driven me away from the game anyway. I started playing a few days after it was released, and hit level 60 sometime in January. I'd been able to play solo for the vast majority of the game up until that point, but once you're 60, there's nothing to do but group with other people. That was fine for a while, but when I finally reached the point where I was ready to go in to Molten Core (40 people needed), I realized that I didn't want to spend 6 hours at a stretch taking orders from some bitchy "raid leader." Playing as one of 40 little worker bees just doesn't interest me.

17. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Don't worry. As soon as you log in you will be in a newbie area and you will find that many people there are just starting for the first time as well (the rest are alts of more experienced players).

For most of the game you will never have any trouble finding people to group with. The game chat is full of people looking for others to share quests with and help complete common objectives. Just as in the real world, some of these people are objectionable and try to take everything for themselves. Just leave the group and remember not to group with them again.

In addition, sooner or later you will get invited to join a guild. Some guilds are good, some bad, some are more serious than others, but you can leave at any time. My own guild is rather small, and I use it primarily to get advice from higher level members through the Guild chat channel. Occasionally we group and help each other out with things. Some guilds are quite large and fanatical and are geared towards huge raids and serious PvP (particularly in Battlegrounds). These are hard to get in to and have their own sets of rules for loot sharing and so on.

Like life, WoW is primarily about trust. You need to build networks of people that you trust in order to get the most out of the higher level play. This is not as hard as it sounds. It doesn't matter if you make mistakes as a lower level character. Most people are willing to cut you some slack and even help you out. Learning to play the different character classes properly takes some time, and there are many high level people who still can't do it properly.

The one thing you should never do is roll for items that you don't need. If cloth armour comes up when you are partying, then let the mages roll for it. If other people start looting stuff they don't need, leave the party and don't group with them again. Being well-known as a ninja looter (the name for these players) is a much worse fate than not being very skilled at the game. The various realm forums are sometimes a good place to find out who these people are.

Like real life, if you are not a complete ****, then you will build trust with people and they will want to group with you. It's not hard at all, and you don't even have to say much. Helping out other people also gets you a good name. I often help other characters with quests that I've done before, and I don't take anything for it. People remember that you were the dwarf who helped them kill XYZ and let them take all the items because you didn't need them.

Sometimes, if I'm not short of cash I just give people nice items that I find and can't use at no cost. The other day I saw a mage in Lakeshire and I had some excellent cloth armour items that a couple of monsters had dropped. They were useless to me as a 27 lvl fighter, but they were super items for a 15 lvl mage, and that person was really happy to receive them, since they made a big difference to his character.

Similarly, you often see people in real trouble who have aggroed two or three monsters that they can't handle at once. They are going to get killed as a matter of certainty. Some people just walk past and do nothing. I don't. If I have a reasonable chance at helping, I'll join in the fray and try to save them from dying. I've sometimes even helped Horde players that were in trouble. Occasionally, I have been on the receiving end of such benefits. What goes around, comes around.

The one thing you shouldn't do is play on a PvP server to start with. If you do, then as soon as you move into contested areas (which doesn't take much game time), you will be attacked by high level psychopaths of the other side who live just to kill low level people and who will camp on your corpse for hours and kill you repeatedly. WoW is supposed to have a dishonor system to punish such behaviour, but it has not been enabled, and so there is no penalty for ruining the game for other people. The current state of affairs makes it very hard for new characters to complete quests and gain levels on a PvP server. If the dishonor system is enabled as described in the manual, then people who repeatedly kill lower level players will become outlaws from both sides. At that point, I'm going to start playing PvP. As it stands the system just rewards idiots who aren't interested in competition or anything other than making life miserable for other players.

PvE servers are a lot better, since combat with other players is almost always consensual. You can't be ganked unless you do something dumb or you enable PvP. If you want PvP action you can enable it or play on the battlegrounds (special PvP areas which are a lot of fun).

Get the game, you won't be disappointed.

18. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I played WoW religiously for about 6 weeks. It's a very fun game, and before WoW I never liked MMO's. The problem becomes, IMHO, that around level 25 there are too many things to do and it kind of gets boring because they're all the same. I'll explain...

1) One "quest" may have you gathering items to make something. You need 5 wolf's ears, 3 pig intestines, and 6 spider legs, for instance. The problem is you'll have to kill at least 30 wolves, 25 pigs, and 40 spiders to get this stuff. This is boring to me. Every spider has legs. You should be able to kill 1 and get 8 legs. I know that RPG's don't work like this, but it's kind of annoying for non-traditional RPG'ers.

2) Another quest may have you talking to a guy in another town on behalf of some lady. Problem is the town is a 20 minute walk, real time mind you. He gives you a note to give to the lady. So you take it back to her, she says something dumb, then you have to gather a bunch of crap so she can make him something. See #1. Then you go back to her, she tells you to take the crap to a merchant in another town, 10 minute walk. Then you take the new item to the original guy, and he tells you to kill a beast that's an elite and no one on your server is trying to fight that guy right now. Great... Three hours gone, and no quest completed!

WoW is fun, but it gets to be more like work than anything after a while. The auction house in Ironforge is pretty cool though.

19. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Doesn't matter, there is a system of rolling on good drops, so its random who gets it. Everyone has an equal chance, not just the fastest clicker.

20. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

K. The Collection quests are useful, since you get a lot of XPs for them, especially if you do it when they are orange.

The simple creature killing quests are better attempted in groups.

The long quests like The Legend of Stalvan are mitigated by having the requisite flight routes. You also get a lot of experience for completing them - well over 4,000 in my case and the total xp from the whole quest must have been up near 10,000 XP.

Some of the long quests with low XP (like delivering rocket parts to the Shimmering Flats, or the Warrior Fray Quest) are designed to take you into dangerous places. Too many people would hang around the start areas if they didn't exist. I found sneaking through the Barrens to be hair raising fun.

Part of what I learned from this is quest management. Take two or three quests that will take you to the same place at roughly the same time. You can level up pretty quick if you do that.

21. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

While I respect your opinion I could not disagree more! PvP is one of the most fun aspects of the game. It causes you to be innovative and to stay on your toes. I bought the game to fight the horde not to dance with them. Questing is really not that bad and at the end game if you are good you have nothing to worry about. In fact I find getting killed by the other faction (as rare as it may be :) ) some of the most fun. If you get killed find a way to get back at them by asking for help or by killing them yourself. It should also be noted that the horde is very out numbered on PvE realms.

22. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I agree with your post. It just got boring to me after a while. Seemed like more of the same. I had a Night Elf Druid I abandoned at 22 and a Gnome Mage I abandoned at 25. I was just trying to give the other side of it.

All in all WoW is fun , but I can't spend all my limited gaming time playing one thing. But I'm not much of an RPG fan either, so that plays a part in my boredom. I like 10-15 hour games much more than 100+ hour ones, but that's just me.

23. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I do have a 50 NE hunter on a pvp server and i just dont have time to spend 3 hours doing a single quest while a lvl 60 corpse camps and makes it difficult. This is why i made the switch to a normal server and seems to have solved all the issues i had with the game. I do enjoy PvP just not ganking. I think BG is perfect on normal servers. I do wish i could transfer my NE hunter to a norm server. This is just my opinion i can see the appeal for a lvl 60 running around killing lowbies. That just doesn't appeal to me, nor do i think it makes the game much fun for either party.

24. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

You guys getting bored in level 20's must be doing something wrong. There are so many quests and places to go at that level. My gnome warlock just hit 47 and went to Searing Gorge for the first time. I don't think I've had a boring moment with him. When he hits 60 and polan on doing alot of raiding. That is where the real fun is IMHO.

25. sketchy macrumors regular

BAH! this game is not addictive! Don't let him fool you. There is no desire to play every waking moment of the day. Nor is BG at Warsong Gulch the coolest time you can have ina MMORPG. I REPEAT -- This game is not addictive.

And I do not go home during my lunch break to play for 30 min while eating a sandwitch every day. Nor do I put off sleep to play every night. Nor have I ever played for 15 hours straight on a weekend.

oo -- it's tuesday -- I might have ranked in the Horde military. I'm going home now.

like I said -- this game is not addictive.

I can stop anytime I want. :)

Dave
    <subliminal> buy the game, start a horde player on Gorefiend</subliminal>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.