World of Warcraft (Requirements?)

Discussion in 'Games' started by ministerd, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ministerd macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook 12 inch
    is the video card I got enough to run the game?
    or do I have to smack down a dual 2.5 to play this game?

help?
    don't want to get my hopes up if I can't play on my laptop

2. shortyjj macrumors regular

It did fine on my 12" Rev. C (1.33, 64 meg video card, 768 megs of ram)

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yeah, if you Powerbook is atleast a Rev B (1.0GHZ) you should be safe.
    I've heard that people are running the beta on iBook G4/800.
    (I don't know if its enjoyable, but its atleast possible..)
    The rev A (867 mhz) has a wimpy gfx card, so i think this model has to bite the dust.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The system reqs from blizzards BETA site:

Mac® System/OS:

* 1.0 GHz or higher G4 or G5 processor.
    * 512 megabytes RAM or higher. DDR RAM recommended.
    * ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 64 MB VRAM or more.
    * 3 gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
    * MacOS X 10.3 ("Panther") or better.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

It did OK only on my G5... so I doubt it did *that* well on your Rev C...

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am wondering what most people consider to be a good playing game in terms of fps, and is it easy to find this out in most game? As you can tell, I am not a huge gamer, but I just got KOTOR, which I intend to play on my new 15" PB which isn't here yet :( Anyway, I figure it should play it passably well, as it is the 128 vram model, though I am not expecting G5 levels of performance. I was wondering what most folks think a good fps is for gaming in general.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

For RPGS like DungeonSiege and NewerWinter Nights or Summoner i think 15fps is playable, 20FPS is ok, but 30FPS preferred.
    FPS like quake and ut i think 30FPS is ok, but 50FPS+ is preferred
    I know of peole that thinks that 60+fps is minimum, but i don't game that much.

8. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

You should be just fine with 128 video ram. It will probably be optimized down to 32 mb video ram upon retail release.

9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I played it during the stress test with a 12 inch iBook 1 ghz, and while i couldn't quite eek out 24 FPS outdoors (with detail all the way down, which is still really nice looking), it was around 15, which isn't terrible for a game where quick reflexes aren't an issue. indoors, the performance jumped to about 35 FPS. so basically, since i have barely acceptable performance, i'd expect a power book to be able to handle it (especially the release version, which will be further optimized).

i'm just hoping that there's enough optimization to let me play it at 30 fps or so. ::crosses fingers::

10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Nope, those have been updated...

*933MHz G4 or G5 Processor
    *256MB Ram or Higher (512DDR recommended)
    *ATi or NVidia Graphics card with 32MB of VRAM or more

It was in the forums a while ago...

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

20 FPS at minimum to play... any game. A certain amount of reaction time is needed for nearly any game, and below 20 FPS makes it quite hard unless you have very quick reflexes.

30+ at bare minimum for most games.

60+ ideally... but we're on Macs and that just isn't going to happen.

For Q3 I'd expect no less than 90 FPS anywhere.

For UT2K4 I'd hope for 40-50 ideally in every situation.

12. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I had a friend who played the original warcraft on a 286dx pc. He turned everything on 'fastest', and it ran like tired mule. One level i remember took him 2 days to beat, but he still enjoyed the game.

Granted I'd never waste 2 days on one level, nor would i find it entertaining, but some ppl do. Nowadays too, games require swifter responses and such. So fps are becoming more and more important. I agree with v-dog on a 20fps minimum for any NEW games these days.

13. ministerd thread starter macrumors newbie

ok second problem

how do I square away one full week to totally lose myself in this game?

somehow I think my professors and wife will find me AWOL.. hmmm.. might hurt my grades or other things.....hmm... I hope they release this during winter break, and my wife was thinking about leaving with the kids to visit the grandparents.....hmmmm... there must be a way.....

14. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

How do you check to see how many FPS you a getting while playing a game?

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The thing about framerates is that they are not constant thoughout a game.

My brother's 1.33Ghz 12" PB Go5200 (1.5GB RAM) will play Call of Duty with most of the settings turned down, and I believe that much of the time it is within the 20 frames range, sometimes more. But during several missions (particularly the first Russian mission, when you land on the docks), the framerate drops below the acceptable level. But the rest of the game was good enough to keep me playing. So I would say that hard fps averages are important, but just as important is whether the game is decent most of the time with a couple of choppy spots, or always choppy. The former might not wreck the gameplay, whereas the latter will. This is more of an issue with multiplayer games, since they are often "busier". It's more fun to play a game and fully exploit it's capabilities, but most of us don't own a computer that can do that with many of the new games out there :(

16. Santiago macrumors regular

During the Stress Test, I played on an 800 MHz PowerBook G4 with a mere Radeon Mobility, and it was usable. Now that I have my G5, though, the release version should be much smoother...

17. a2daj macrumors member

I'd have to agree with cluthz in terms of RPGs. 15 fps is easily playable in games like KotOR, NWN, and WoW. I usually keep framerates displayed on any game that allows it so I can get a good gauge on what's playable so if I play a game of similar type where I can't see framerates, I can make an educated guess about what the framerates are like. I've played a lot of NWN (with framerates displayed) and KotOR (does not display framerates). And I think, due to the nature of the game play (you don't need to rely on reflexes) that 15 fps for those games is just fine.

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

We're in the same boat, you and I. Perhaps we could get our wifes togather...

19. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I agree i can't wait to loose my self in this game i was going to take 2 vaction days to play a long weekend worth of WoW. I think i might take off mon, and tues to have a 4 day weekend. hmmmmm any more words on possible release date.

20. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Proof that nerds can get girls! There is some hope. :eek:

21. rwclark macrumors newbie

The performance is pretty good on my 1GHz Aluminum PowerBook with 768MB of RAM. They've been slowly tweaking the performance, and it's getting steadily better.

22. iZzle macrumors member

well...I'm in high school, btu same situation (w/o the wife duh!).
    RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 3. (at least EB Games says so). currently im addicted to age of mythology :eek: which isnt good bd my friend and I play everynight almost. tonight, for instance,we playd vs 2 comp players and he went to bed @ like 11:20. (CST) I just finished (yeh i won! :D ) and i have a crapload of homework to do. i hope i at least pick one (AoM and WoW)