World of Warcraft server status?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drgnhntr, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I was thinking of picking up World of Warcraft the other day and thought to check how their service was doing. I was reading the WoW forums the other day and noticed a rant by a guy who couldn't log onto any of his characters located across three servers.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-tech-support&T=188648&P=1

His rant was joined by a number of other players with the same problem. My impression was that Blizzard had fixed most of their server issues. Is this not the case? Do people regularly have problems logging onto their characters?

My second question is regarding internet connection. I have 256k cable connection. Anyone had any problems with WoW at this speed? Would there be a noticeable performance boost (more concerned with lag than framerate) if I upgrade my connection to 3mbps or higher?
    Thanks everyone for any info,

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I assuming is complaining about the login server issues. It's kind of annoying, but not really a big problem. Yes, it keeps you from logging into the game sometimes, but usually if you just let it keep trying it will eventually get in. I've had one stretch that I couldn't log in for maybe 3 hours, which sucked, but wasn't the end of the world.

You're connection speed should be fine, I haven't noticed any serious slow downs from network traffic on my local network, and I don't think that WoW takes up much bandwidth (they say you can play with a dial up connection, and I know people who do that and get along just fine). I think that latency is more the issue with games, rather than raw bandwidth.

What kind of computer are you planning on playing with? It is a fairly intense game and that will likely impact your experience more than upgrading your modem speeds.

Rob

3. Drgnhntr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info.

The beta ran fine on my machine (dual g5) and there have been a few updates since then so I would expect the released version to run even better. The weakest link on my system is my internet connection, but if that is okay, then I am good to go.

The main problems I had with game were lag and login problems. Which was fine at the time because I wasn't paying for it and it was a beta. However, the experience has put me off buying the game until they have fixed those issues. The fact that people are still complaining about the issue leads me to think that it hasn't been fixed completely. I realize that not logging onto world of warcraft isn't the end of the world, but I may only have 3-6 hours to play the game each week. If it takes the window of time I have to play, just to log in, why bother? One of the posters in the thread had two days off, and couldn't log in on either day. I would be similarly frustrated.

More of my concern is how often to expect this sort of thing? You mentioned a 3 hour wait, are 3 hour waits typical? Are holidays and weekends worse?

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

When I say 3 hour wait, I was referring to a 3 hour down time while a login server was repaired. That particular problem didn't effect everyone, but it did me. It is pretty atypical of my experience thus far. The login waits for busy days is not bad... maybe 10-15 min on a busy server during peak times.

I can't say what exactly some people have problems with trying to play, but for myself and my friends who play, they have thus far not had any major outages, and when there was downtime Blizzard has been pretty good about keeping us informed of what's going on and when it will be fixed.

If you only have 12 hours to play per month, you may want to consider not playing! =P It may suck you in and steal time from the whatever it is you are so busy with now!

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I've been running it for 2 weeks on PC and have only had 1 crash so far for which a Blizzard crash report program opened and asked me to include a report of what i was doing if i wanted to.

Server maintanace downtime is a pain, but its normally done during work hours, 9 - 5 and i've only seen it the once so far.

My lag is normally very good, constant green bar for OK, in fact the only thing slowing WOW down is my old, AMD 2000 XP, 512MB 64MB 8500 pc.

Normally get around 30 fps out and about and 20 in cities.

Did have a problem with the sound, so bought a sound card with digital out so i can use it with my amp upstairs when i get myself a new desk soon.

6. lasix macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm into this game since it was released in europe (march 11th I think). Apart from local problems with my adsl line I didn't encounter much problems.

The european servers have a regular maintenance window between 07:00 and 11:00 every friday which usually overruns its time.

As the game is incredible popular at the moment, some servers are overcrowded and Blizzard advises new players to create their characters on less populated servers.

On peek times (early evening and sunday late afternoon/evening in my experience) one can get quite a bit of lag in overcrowded areas. But for my part the lag isn't the main problem, it's far more annoying to camp with 30 other players in an area waiting for some boss to respawn.

But overall it's a very pleasing gaming experience and I can recommend it from all of my heart.

P.S.: I just bought a new gaming pc which runs it very well with everything maxed out on 1600 x something. My dual 1.8 G5 with 1 GB ram handles it well to, but only with 1280 x something. Also it seems to choke sometimes which may be caused by the lowly 32 MB ram on my video card.

7. lasix macrumors newbie

I think your connectivity is no problem. The german tech support posted in the support forums, that the usual traffic per hour is:

Download: 6 Kb/s - 360 Kb/min - 21 600 Kb/h - 21,09 Mb/hour
    Upload: 3 Kb/s - 180 Kb/min - 10 800 Kb/h - 10,54 Mb/hour

http://forums-de.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-tech-support-de&t=15929&p=1&tmp=1#post15929

8. Drgnhntr thread starter macrumors regular

10-15 minutes waits are no problem. I just wanted to get a feel for what was typical. It also sounds like server updates are mostly planned outside of times I would play.

When I played the beta, I was in fact sucked in. It was okay, I just took time away from family, friends, work, etc. ;)
    The joke will be on me though because my wife will probably play more than I, and neglect me. :(

Thanks for all the info everyone!

9. kparvez macrumors member

World of Warcraft Server Status

There's a post stating that servers should be back up at 5 pm MST, March 11, 2005 from the hardware switch downtime.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=1912685&p=1&tmp=1#post1912685

If you just picked up WoW, i suggest that you choose a server that isn't one of the big 20 that keep crashing. A good server would be Stormrage or Nathrezim (almost never crash). Also, the game was made to be playable using a 56K modem, so your current internet connection is fine.

kparvez
    lvl 60 Tauren Hunter
    lvl 37 Tauren Warrior