World of Warcraft - what is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by chameeeleon, Dec 1, 2004.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Alright, so here goes.
    I bought my iMac with no intention of playing games on it (I've got my PS2 and GC for that), but I find myself in withdrawl from the only PC game I ever got addicted to besides The Sims, Dungeon Siege. I know that a Mac version's available, but I don't really want to play through the whole game again.
    So I keep hearing about World of Warcraft, and then I see that Gamespot gave it a 9.1. However, having NEVER played a Warcraft game, I don't really know what to expect. I like very simple RPG/strategy/action games like Dungeon Siege, but (for example) if it gets as complicated as in Neverwinter Nights, I'm completely lost (and out $70).
    So, WoW being an online game, could I say that it is comparable to sort of a Dungeon Siege-gone-online? Is it hard to understand, and will i feel like a Dungeons and Dragons nerd playing it (no offence)? Also, how much are the monthly fees for those of us in Canada, and is there any retail stores (ie: Future Shop/Walmart) here in Canada that anyone has seen the prepaid cards? And do you get like a "first month free" deal when you first buy the game?
    Thanks for your advice.

2. kparvez macrumors member

world of warcraft

World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. You can't play on a standalone computer without an internet connection. In this game, you connect to Blizzard's servers and play as a character (i.e. Orc) and you perform quests, participate in raids, craft things, etc.

You can get one month free but each month afterwards is $15.99 USD.

I've played in stress tests and open beta and bought myself a Collector's edition of World of Warcraft. I can play it on my ibook and powerbook. It's more addictive than crack! Watch out! :) Enjoy.

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It can be completely overwhelming for the first few days, but you'll eventually figure everything out. It's a huge world with lots to do. The questing system keeps you busy and that's all pretty automatic. Besides the usual questing/hunting/leveling grind, there's lots of other little things to do, like trade skills (herbalism, mining, etc.), crafting items, buying and selling stuff through trading or the auction house, and just exploring the lands. I've found most people there to be friendly and if you have any questions you can just ask on one of the in-game chat channels and probably get a fast answer. Based on what you said, I'd say you'd probably want to start on a PvE (not PvP) server. A few things to bear in mind:

1. You cannot change your character appearance or name after you initially create them, so spend some time and make it right. Character names are limited to 12 characters, no profanity, no spaces or punctuation or intermixed caps.

2. You cannot move your character between servers after you create them. I hate this policy and I think it's a big flaw, but for now that's the way it is. So pick a server where your friends are playing or just one in your own timezone. The good news is ping times don't seem to affect game play very much. People have been playing from any server from all over the world and it seems to run fine. I'd suggest staying away from US East servers for now, since they're the most overloaded and have been having the most problems.

3. You can have up to 10 characters on any one server and up to 50 total, however you cannot have both a Horde and Alliance character on any one server. I recommend picking a server for your Horde chars in one timezone and another for your Alliance chars in another. Sometimes they pull down all servers in a timezone at once.

It's really a great game, I think you will like it, if you can afford it. Much of the time you're just doing solo work and there isn't even a need for it to be online, but it's nice to have all the other people around anyway.

5. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

6. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

7. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Nope, you need Panther. 10.3.5, to be exact, though a few graphical issues will need 10.3.6.
    My friend was extremely excited to get the game this past weekend and then come to find he needed to upgrade to panther. Quite the buzzkill. :(

8. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

your telling me. a year ago i paid like 1700 for my imac and now i have to pay 130$ to apple for panther when you can get it on a way pimper machine for 1200 now? :mad:

9. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

and isnt tiger going to be out soon anyways???

edit-- or is tiger only for G5s?

10. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Aaaaaand back on topic, I picked it up today at Future Shop. And I saw that they ARE in fact selling the game cards as well - $40 for two months (god this is going to be one hell of an expensive game). I'm just about to install it. Pretty exciting - I'm really glad Blizzard releases their games simultaneously for Mac/PC. If only Maxis developed their games for Mac too...

Btw, no - Tiger's not just for G5s. Just optimized for them.

11. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

oh yes, the topic. excitement... hooray, or something?

12. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Just to clarify for those that may not know, FutureShop is a Canadian retailer similar to Best Buy (and owned by them, I believe). The $40 card for 2 months is priced in Canadian dollars, so if you find the prepaid game card at a store in the U.S., card will cost you $30 USD. Just want to make sure people know that WoW is $15 (USD) a month (when purchased on a month to month plan), and that chameeeleon didn't get ripped off, he was just using Canadain dollars when sharing the price he paid.

It is good to hear that some of the prepaid cards have gotten out there (Blizzard said there was a delay in shipping them), as I'm sure there are many people who would rather use them than a credit card (especially younger players).

13. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

I am trying to set up a new World of Warcraft account, however for "Step 5", it has a blank space for a prepaid game card (the option I chose) that I cannot go on without filling in. I was told at the store that the game came with a free month of play that I could use that month up and then return to get a card. Since my parents won't let me use their credit card, that's my only option, and I don't have a game card yet (and I'm now flat-out broke and was counting on using Christmas money for one). Does this mean I can't start playing (or even register) until I get one?

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

My understanding of the sign up process is that you MUST have some way of securing payment for the next months of play before you can even register for your free month. This means that you need to sign up with a credit card, a prepaid card, or PayPal, before you can create your account and get your free month. Since PayPal didn't work at launch (and may still not work, I'm not sure) and the prepaid cards were unavailable (Blizzard said they would take at least another week after launch to get to stores), I don't think you could sign up on the day of the release unless you had a credit card. Obviously this angered a lot of people without access to a credit card, or those that wished to keep their number private. I don't know if those people ever got to start playing or not, but I think you may be out of luck unless you can scrape together the $40 CAD to buy the prepaid card. I think one way to get around this is to sign up with a credit card to activate your account and free month, and then cancel your subscription to the service. You get to play out the rest of your 30 days, and when they end, you will no longer have access to WoW until you reactivate your account with your prepaid card.

For a definite answer to your question, however, I recommend that you contact Blizzard to see what they say about the matter. You might also try private messaging the MacRumors member rbarris. He is a Blizzard employee, and should be able to answer your question both with 100% certainty, and faster than anyone else you could get a hold of at Blizzard.

15. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help Elan, although I messaged rbarris and e-mailed Blizzard Billing support just to be sure.