World of Warcraft!

Discussion in 'Games' started by g5_11, Jul 2, 2005.

1. g5_11 macrumors member

g5_11

What kind of performance do you guys get in world of warcraft? I am slightly displeased with the performance I get. Any suggestions or comments?

2. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Performance how? It could be lag...some parts of the WOW world are notorious for it (Ironforge...). Also, try adjusting your graphics settings...you could have everything on full...

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

heh don't worry, I don't get the greatest performance on my PC either which is a P4 2.53ghz 512mb 333mhz Ram, Geforce fx5800 128mb.

Actualyl performance is good everywhere except in the towns, especially big towns like ogrimmar which is lag fest Kalimdor.

4. Devie macrumors 6502a

I get full frames at full resolution with low other specs on my iMac. I can go higher specs but when I get to a town it lags up a lot, and I found it to work a bit better when I pulled down the other stuff.

5. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

Sorry I should have specified what type of issue. Generally the game runs well (25 fps or so) but the game seems to run better on pcs of equal power. Im thinking that the game may have not been designed to work as well on mac. Its in everyway playable but I would like to see it run nearer to the 50 other people on pcs are getting. In iron forge I can get down to 8 or 10 fps. Turning off full screen glow helps.

6. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Just off topic, why is this game soooo good/addictive?

7. unfaded macrumors 6502

Yes. Macs are not as good as a similarly equipped PC. This is rather common knowledge and talked about thousands of times on this board.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

In my oppinion it's the teamwork. Playing together with other people and actually getting to know them. Apart from the giant world to explore and the love for details in this game. It's solving problems, killing monsters and chatting at the same time. I'm in a guild now where most people live in berlin. Maybe I'll visit them sometime this summer. :)

Just my approach, it might be different for someone else...

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Ironforge can be very slow at times, but apart from that your OK.

Usual stuff about RAM.

10. g5_11 thread starter macrumors member

g5_11

You can choose to do whatever you feel like in the game and there are so many endless possibilities.

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

For Games, only.

12. JasonL macrumors regular

This has been discussed quite a bit. There are several places to read threads that offer suggestions on how to maximize mac performance (unchecking vertical sync, turning down terrain distance, etc). Doing a search here will lead to quite a few I'm sure, but there are also threads on the main WoW forums site.

I've played this game on both my PB, with as little as 512MB of RAM which was downright awful and basically required all the settings to be turned down quite a bit and on my PM (see sig), which runs it pretty well (typical fps in the 40s in IF and smooth flights out of IF; whereas with my PB fps is usually around 10 in IF, and the flight out is a really bad slideshow) with pretty much everything turned on/up.

The OP's system should run the game reasonably well with moderate settings.

Also, I hope you have a high speed internet connection. A couple of my guildmates with dial up access have been almost useless in a few raids.

13. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

How do these mosters and puzzels work? Im curious about this game but i really dont want to waste my nice summer away playing games so it has to be very fun. (no offense)