World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nerve, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Nerve macrumors member

Guys, Im getting the new macbook pro for christmas and I was wondering about installing world of warcraft on it.

Would it play smoothly? (Im having to play on my Mac because the new patch fails on my PC, damn windows!)

Any help or information is appreciated. :cool:

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hey :)

A lot of people ask this, so you'd be best to use the Search function to find out all the comments that have been made.

In general, yes the MacBooks play WoW. The more RAM you add the better. Even maxed out on RAM, though, the performance isn't going to blow you away. It's probably just fine for anyone but the most serious WoWers.

Stupid Intel integrated graphics :(

Edit: MacBook Pro... Not MacBook (hits self on head). Have posted below.

3. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Well I have 1GB ram with it. I just hope it plays okay.

4. nick004 macrumors regular

One of my machines main functions is playing WoW. The MBP plays the game really well, i have to no complaints or regrets. I'm not a gaming freak and don't need every FPS possible but for me its more than I expected and need.

And apparently Blizzard is working on making run even better, the new patch definetly makes a difference.

5. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

6. Andrew05151 macrumors newbie

I play WoW on my PC and my MacBook...

It's a little bit choppy on the macbook, but the macbook has a pretty crappy video card. I imagine it will run without flaw on the macbook pro model. Only thing, make sure you don't run a program to strip out the power pc code :mad:

Anyways, what was wrong with the patch for windows?

7. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Alot of people have been getting an error in which the patch can't apply, I've tried EVERYTHING to fix it, for the past few weeks. I installed wow on my macbook fine, got the patch installed, although I haven't tested it yet.

I just hope it works.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah... I read MacBook, not MacBook Pro - I think I'm OD'd on MacBook WoW threads! Sorry about that.

WoW will be perfectly playable on the MacBook Pro.

9. Andrew05151 macrumors newbie

Hmm, I haven't heard of this happening. I didn't run into any such problems. Guess I was lucky. It's kind of odd that Blizzard would run into such a significant problem when they're pulling in about a billion a year on this project...

10. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Look around on their forums, they have lost so many customers, theres thousands of complaints and no support been given, they are loosing a hell of alot of customers! Me being one. Guess Im playing it on my MBP until I get my alienware then.

Thanks guys.

11. Andrew05151 macrumors newbie

I avoid their website as it's sooooo damn slow.

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I think you're going to be pleasantly suprised since the 2.0.1 WoW patch added mulithread OpenGL. It dramatically inreases performance on all Intel Macs.

13. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Kick ass! I just need to buy an apple mouse and Im good to go on christmas day! :)

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I love Apple products, but honestly and truly, from the bottom of my heart, go buy a Logitech Revolution instead. You'll thank me.

15. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Isn't that one of those Pro Gaming type mouse's?

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's just a fantastic mouse, period. I would say that Logitech's mice are, overall, second to none.

There's a smaller, mobile version.

And a desktop-sized version.

They're just supremely comfortable and very compatible with Mac OS. Much better than the Mighty Mouse.

17. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

I think I will end up purchasing a new mouse sometime around Christmas, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the apple mouse at the moment. Thanks for the heads-up!

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No worries. I use a Logitech MX518 on my PC and it's the only thing I miss (well, besides my Klipsch speakers) when I go back to the iMac or my Macbook.

19. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm hoping to get an Alienware Aurora 7500 next year for gaming. I'll most likely kit that up. :p

20. Savings macrumors member

The new support for Multithreaded OpenGL in WoW makes it fly on the Macbook Pro Core 2 Duos. Framerate never drops below around 30 for me with maximum settings on everything and draw distance at 70%.

21. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

From the dead horse beating department, WoW runs fine on my 1st gen MacBook with 2Gb ram.

22. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

I cant wait to get playing again, I lose a 40 gnome warlock and a 59 Undead ROUGE. :mad: MB will do until I get my gaming machine!

23. shortyjj macrumors regular

24. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

I'm not quite sure what you mean :confused:

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe Shadow Priests have the phrase 'melt face' and all its variations under copyright.