World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by jtgotsjets, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Alright, I'm using the stress test, and I'm getting pretty poor performance.
    However, I'd like an idea of how much of this performace is due to lag (it is the stress test, so it's expected to be laggy) and the fact that it is a beta. I don't meet the recommended video card (I'm using my iBook), but Blizzard also says they arent done optimizing, so can i expect that spec to go down?

Basically, what kind of lag are you guys getting on higher-end systems?
    How much of my lag is due to server overload and unfinished optimization, and how much is due to a poor video card?

(and how do I find out my fps? i assume its in the console somewhere, but whats the command?)

EDIT: i found out the FPS command (not in the console, weirdly enough). hit ctrl+R. what framerates are you guys getting? i only get about 4.5-5 average. :( :( :(

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'm running the stress test on my home computer (specs below) and there is relatively little lag. The game is very smooth at 1280x1024. :)

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

im r unnning the stress test on a 1.33 PB connected to a 1280x1024 monitor and have no performance issues, aside from server lag (this is the stress test right?) I am blown away by how well it performs on my machine (considering it is beta and my machine barely meets the minimum requirements). This game is so addictive.

4. Flick1515 macrumors newbie

My brother is playing it on a 1Ghz iBook he gets around 10 fps moving and 30 while standing still. From what I have seen the game doesn't appear to be very laggy at all.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I am running the stress test on my home comp in my sig at 1920x1200, at medium settings, and I would say I get around 30 frames. It's way smooth at say 1280x1024, but my native monitor rez is 1920x1200, so setting it at native rez and lowering the video quality gets me good performance. I think your iBook is just going to have a hard time handling it, sorry.

p.s. I can't wait to waste my weekend helping Blizzard test their servers.

6. jtgotsjets thread starter macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

how much RAM? why am i lagging so much?

7. Flick1515 macrumors newbie

it's got 512MB of RAM im not sure your getting so much lag sorry.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if i were getting anywhere near 10fps (read, unplayable) i would be ****ting a brick. 10 fps is pretty much worthless for gaming.

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

WoW runs pretty horrible on my 1.4GHz eMac. Its playable, but outdoors the framerate usually hovers around 15fps so its not the most enjoyable. Indoors it ranges from 20-50fps. I'm guessing the main weakness is the Radeon w/ only 32mb of RAM.

Make sure you have the clipping plane turned down all the way. If I turn it to max, the game becomes unplayable with under 5fps at all times.

And lastly, don't confuse lag and poor game performance. Lag refers strictly to high internet latency (ie. ping). Lag has NO effect on the framerate or choppyness of a game.

10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

well you are under the minimum requirements with that radeon, so i wouldn't expect much out of it. hopefully the GM will be more optimized for lower end graphics cards.

if you have high internet latency, then you will experience pauses (skipped frames) in game as your computer waits to download the content (i.e. a new area of gameplay, underwater, etc). if you experience skipped frames while you are just walking on a road, that's your computer.

you should also note that you modified the hardware, which could have adverse performance effects on the game, because technically there is no 1.4 ghz eMac. one thought is the processor is WAY too fast for your video card.

11. bertinman macrumors 6502

got a 1gig tiPB with an ati radeon 9000 and 512 ram and it runs great at full res.

no complaints from me! gunna buy the game :)

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

13. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Whenever I play a game I always turn off any other apps that are running in the background. That helps me.

14. boxerchip macrumors member

I am running it on my PC 1280x1024 all detial on fullll witha 9800XT and im getting 40 FPS some times it will drop to as low as 30, but nothing under that.

I dont get this game.... the attacks are lame everything about it seems lame... am i missing somthing or is the game really just running for 5 min to kill one wild board by clicking on it alot?

15. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

My performance....

Outdoors and with loads of people it averages 20-30 FPS. At regular server loads I average 25-50 FPS outdoors.

Indoors, the average jumps magnifiently. I average from 60-100 FPS. :D

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

From your specs, your computer isn't that powerful. iBooks can never really run "new" games that well, due to video card limitations. "MINIMIMUM" requirements usually indicate a level below what's standard to enjoy the game at.

17. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Anyone getting the proble that they're not getting sound effects in game? I get sound effects at the title screen, and music in game... but...

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

No sound effects problems... but the minimap wiggs out on me sometimes... whenever the game lags, it's because of too many users online with crappy connections, not because my vcard is crappy... although my fps are 20's and 30's

19. JasonL macrumors regular

Wow, is that game addictive!

I've only been able to play for a few hours, but I can't wait for this game to come out. The sheer number of quests keep you going. No issues with waiting for monsters to spawn either. There's plenty of action, that's for sure.

Btw, the game runs great so far on my machine...which is only a bit better than the minimum required. I was worried about performance keeping me from buying this game, but am glad to report that it runs fine!

20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

WoW runs okay on my 1.5GHz Powerbook with 128meg Radeon 9700 mobility graphics card... just have to make sure you turn the clip plane way down. It runs better on my old 1.4GHz Athlon PC with GeForce 2 Ultra video card though.

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

apparently you don't know how to play...you don't click on the enemy more than once, you select them then use your abilities with the keyboard numbers (i.e. i left click on a kodo beast, press 4 to cast entangling roots, use 2 to cast wrath on him 2-3 times, then hit it with 3 (the moon strike or whatever), then press 1 to engage in hand to hand, or if i have enough mana (which i usually don't) morph into bear form for huge boost in life and tanking ability.

The interactivity of this game is what is key to it's success. Gathering at Thunder Bluff with a group of 50 other tauren, than running to outposts in the Barrens and recruiting as many other Orcs, Trolls, Ud. etc, as we can, then preparing for an assault on an alliance stronghold is tons of fun :D. equally, exploring the depths of caves where you would get slaughtered if you attempted to solo it, is rewarding with the help of teams, because you get to see some real crazy stuff.

another favorite part of the game, is the variety. the world is HUGE, going from place to place actually takes a long ass time (ty auto-run), the towns are beautiful, and you can customize your hero to fit your needs. i.e. my Tauren Druid has skills in leathermaking, skinning, and enchanting. i can retrieve my own resources (skin animals i kill), buy threads, ink, etc. in towns if necessary, and create various leather armors for myself, and others (i can't wear mail, otherwise i would have gone blacksmith, mine, enchanting). then i can lay various enchantments on my equipment, as well as armor patches etc. it is extremely handy, and the reward is, the more you practice, the higher your skill, the better equipment you can create, so you will find yourself making crap for experience and just giving it away, making you lots of greedy "friends."

22. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

FPS

how much Ram do u have in ur PB and what is the average FPS you get outside.(just on the standard 1440x900 display i only have a crappy 1024x760 external display). i have not put WOW on my PowerBook yet but it runs like glass on my PC (40-55> fps outside). i might buy the full version for mac instead of PC if there is a good frame rate :rolleyes:

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Thats because mac optimization hasnt begun

24. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

cheerz

ok just so as i know thats its worth a try, ill put it on my mac

25. jtgotsjets thread starter macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

yea, i figured out that closing the apps that i always have running helps quite a bit (duh).

i still average around 15 fps, but for me, that's playable with this type of game. (for a first person shooter, i'd be crying).