World of WarCraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by camobag, Sep 19, 2004.

1. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

Ok WoW fans,

I may indeed be completely ignorant but I'm just wondering: Is World of WarCraft out or what? I went to Blizzard.com and tried to download the beta but couldn't find it. Can someone help me?? I totally want to play the game but I just don't know how! Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Im in the beta, i can try to answer your questions...

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

its pretty interesting that they have announced the contents of the WoW Collector's Edition boxed set already. it looks like WoW is just around the corner....which leaves me wondering exactly WHEN is the open beta going to take place, and for how long? I really can't see them releasing WoW AFTER christmas...but then again this is blizzard, polish (not the ethnicity :p) comes before anything.

i also find it intriguing that the Collector's Edition includes an EXCLUSIVE pet...it doesn't say what kind, for what class, or if it's even worth anything (other than cosmetic value, in the stress test i bought a cat just because i could :D). methinks it is for nothing more than cosmetic value, the WoW community would be up in arms if it were some uber-hunter pet exclusive to the Collector's Edition.

meh. i don't care im buying it. if for nothing more than the cloth map to hang on my wall :D.

yes. i'm a complete and total nerd.

5. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

Applemacdude,

Ahhhhh...so how did you get selected? Are they letting anyone else try out the game?

6. Barham macrumors regular

I would bet the cost of the collectors edition set that the extra pet is a Panda. They are usually part of easter eggs in Blizzard games. I doubt it will have any significant benefits other than people knowing that you have the collector's edition. I do wonder if all classes will be able to have the pet or if it will only be for hunters. I imagine that any class will be able to use it and it will be totally cosmetic (like the mini owls that people were buying in the stress test).

-Hasta

7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

8. ojmeek macrumors newbie

I am also in the World of Warcraft Beta. The pet is simply a cosmetic item. Basically you get an item in your inventory that you can right-click on to summon and unsummon. Then it just follows you around. It does not fight and it gives you no special abilities. It just looks cool. I have seen a lot of tiny dragon whelping pets selling at the auction houses for around 50g or more. 50g is a lot of money in WoW.

9. shortyjj macrumors regular

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

WOW isnt really that polished...especially on the mac side, i wouldnt be surprised if they released it early next year. I got in thru some thing i signed up for

11. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Hmm... WoW has been getting more and more polished with every push. The 0.9.1 push had some really nice Mac improvements; I could even play WELL on my 12" PB/1Ghz/Rev. B machine.

The game will not be ready come Nov. 15th. With the tornado taking the servers offline for four days now and the newest patch (0.10.0) just being released, it will be sometime before we see anything close to a GM build.

However, I am hopeful that we'll see something in Q1'05 as they are progressing very quickly and we can expect more frequent patches through the rest of this year.

Now sure, they could really shock me and release without PvP Battlegrounds, without talents for three classes (two more just got added with 0.10.0) and give ZERO love to the Warlock and Paladin, but I doubt that will happen :)

12. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

This really interests me. You say 'polished'. That implies cosmetic shine. Was it just me, or did WOW seem like it looked rather crappy (visually)? Are they improving the engine on the mac side still? or are you just talking about gameplay polishing?

13. Barham macrumors regular

I would have to say that it's just you. The first thing you have to come to grips with when looking at WoW is that it's a Blizzard game, but more importantly, a Warcraft game. From day one the Warcraft series has had a certain cartoonish feel to it. If Blizzard decided to go for a more realistic (think Diablo character design) look, then it wouldn't look like the game universe we've all been playing for 10 years. If by 'crappy' you mean 'not photorealistic' then yes WoW looks crappy. But, from the standpoint of Warcraft art direction over the years, it looks incredible.

-Hasta

14. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it's just you buddy. nobody wants a "photo-realistic" version of Warcraft. This is their style, and this is why i love their games. Okay so maybe the grass doesn't blow in the wind, my sword doesn't sparkle with the glint of the sun, etc. but this is a MMORPG! If they had to require the horsepower to run all of these visual effects with over a hundred players on screen, all over broad band..this game wouldn't be out until sometime in 2008 when the US eventually catches up with the rest of the world (aka Asia) in terms of internet connections.

considering their limitations, i'm surprised the game looked as good as it did. the massive cities (read: you can easily get lost) take ZERO load time, they just pop up. their is basically no load at all in the whole game which is an achievement in itself.

15. Santiago macrumors regular

If it ain't on Blizzard's site, it ain't real. Never, ever, trust release dates.

16. shortyjj macrumors regular

The whole purpose of advanced graphics, besides being aesthetic, is to offer an immersive experience, something approaching virtual reality, not just to "wow" people (no pun intended), and to me WoW is already more immersive than anything else I've ever experienced, and played flawlessly on my 12" Rev. C to boot.

17. Barham macrumors regular

Shorty,

What kind of settings did you have going on your Rev. C. I found it just barely playable on my 12" Rev C. I just wonder, cause a lot of people have been using the word flawless with Rev C's and my experience was pretty good but nowhere near what I would expect from the final product and far from flawless. What race were you? Because the Night Elf area was the worst performance wise for me.

-Hasta

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Blizzard is still optimizing WoW for mac, it isnt polished speed wise....

19. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

My 12" PB Rev B. has been mainly flawless. Getting 25FPS in open areas on this machine is amazing. I've been playing since March and there have been times when I wasn't sure if I'd be able to play on my PB but since the 0.9.1 build it's been really performing good.

I don't turn on a lot of options and frankly haven't had a need for them. The small, crisp 12" screen helps make the game look great running at 1024x768.

20. shortyjj macrumors regular

First off, I have 768 megs of RAM.

I left the default settings untouched. By "flawless," I mean that there was never any kind of lag or stutter, nothing but a seamless virtual world, perfectly smooth draw-in, etc. Also, I started in the night elf world, then in some desert-like place, and finally some city with a cemetary nearby. Not sure if this helps...

Right now WoW is my only hope for gaming on this Mac. Thank god for my Xbox and the upcoming Nintendo DS (November 21st!)

21. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Look everyone, i'm not saying the graphics are bad. I like the graphics. It's how the world feels. It feels like i am running around in a snow globe filled with MSG. Nothing in the environment around you moves. Trees could be worse only if they were sprites. I just wish the scene moved... felt real. Right now the only thing that tells you time isn't standing still, are running rabbits and light changes. I wish the world was a little more dynamic. It's immersive, and i understand it's the best thing you've ever experienced... but it's also the ONLY thing you've ever experience on your rev c [mmorpg wise].

22. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I too thought the graphics were lack luster, but I went into the video settings and noticed things were not set to their highest settings. Cranking them up a bit made it a much more appealing visual experience.

I still thought the quests and such a bit boring and repatative. It got mildly interesting when fighting humans, but got old really quick when i died in one area and couldn't even get back to a safe zone as i was always surrounded by high lvl animals.

Still cracks me up that every animal I encounter decides it needs to come kick my butt.
    -jim

23. Barham macrumors regular

I also have 768 RAM, but I found it to be enjoyable in open areas (25fps) and almost miserable (5-9fps) in towns. I'm still gonna buy it and play it till my backlight burns out, but I expect at least 25fps in town when the game ships. It's a little steep, but I think it can be managed.

I see what you mean about the gameworld feeling a bit frozen besides enemies, players and critters, but I think that is just something that blizzard is keeping in secret until release. There were actually a couple of key graphics elements left out of the stress test for the reason that blizz doesn't want to show all its cards before release. I wouldn't worry too much about the frozen snowglobe thing.

I do wonder what it is that makes you think it's the best I've seen. I'm a devoted gamer on just about every platform available right now, so I know great graphics when I see them. There are some games with great graphics out right now, but a lot of them have VERY generic art direction. I think that this is most prevalent in other MMORPG's.

Oh, and when I say that this game is some of the best I've seen, my experience is from a high-end PC with an Radeon 9800pro. It is rather lackluster graphics wise on the powerbook. The most important thing that the dev team needs to focus on for Mac performance is draw distance. WoW with full details and FarClip all the way to Max is absolutely beautiful.

(wow that was long)

-Hasta

24. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I was saying that to 'shortyjj'. Sorry about the confusion.