world of warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, Nov 26, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm dumb, and could use some help before buying world of warcraft for myself and/or family to play online..

1. is there any single player aspect? or is it like the new final fantasies that are totally online play?

2. is it at all like old warcrafts (ie, making towns, battling other races, etc), or is it entirely an rpg (a la final fantasy)?

3. is it enough to buy x copies of the game for x people to play together? or is there an additional subscription service needed (like for ff)?

mainly, my brother is addicted to final fantasy, and myself and another brother would like to get him back on a mac game and also something we can join him with... but hoping that it's not entirely a rpg type game...

any help would be great, and thanks in advance for dumbing things down for me!

2. JasonL macrumors regular

Well, here goes:

1) no, it is an online-only massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG)

2) it is entirely an rpg, it is not an RTS game like WC3

3) not sure, but I'd think you'd have to have accounts for each person playing, which could get expensive considering the monthly fee ($13-15/mo)

It is a great game, though. Ridiculously addictive for sure!

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok, thanks for the quick and thorough response!

so, next question actually goes to wc3.....

is there a monthly cost for wc3 or is it just the cost of the game and then you can connect to battlenet thing for free??

thanks again!

4. JasonL macrumors regular

BattleNet is free as far as I remember.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah, warcraft is a pay one time kind of thing. b.net is free.

scem0

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok, cool, i think i'll go that route since i am not really willing to invest the time in an rpg like that.

thanks all!

7. JLaFrance macrumors member

But you could have one world of warcraft account with multiple characters on it....the only trouble is, you couldnt all play at once (?)

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

quite right. That's what 2 friends and I did during open beta because I was the only one who got in in time. But playing with friends is a lot of the fun of it, so that's sort of a crappy set up, in my experiences.

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

That game looks pretty kick ass, but I will never play it.

Firstly, it sounds too freaking expensive for what you end up getting.

Secondly, I hate games where skill takes a back road to experience. RPG's to me were about story, but with them online it's about playing all the time and repetition.

10. JLaFrance macrumors member

Too expensive? huh? I dunno about that...surely $50 is alot of money for any game, but look at Halo...WC3 (when it came out) and what you got with them compared to this. I think this blows them out of the water, though it is difficult to compare platforms ( 1st person shooter vs. RPG )

I dont really understand what you're saying about skill taking a back road to experiance. :confused:

Isn't there always a story? The story here boils down to the eternal struggle between horde and alliance. Maybe what you're used to is a stroy line built into the game that everyone follows, which obviously, this game is not. But in my opinion, games where you can choose your own destiny (quests etc.)
    makes it much more fun.

LaFrance

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Halo (for the PC/Mac) and WC3 don't have monthly charges.

WoW does.

I can't get to Blizzard's site now (firewall at work) but say WoW costs $10 a month, plus $50 to purchase initially then it would cost you $160 the first year to play (assuming the first month was free.)

You could buy an iPod Flash for that! :rolleyes: (assuming iPod Flash actually existed/cost $150)

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's $13/month in 6-month blocks, $15/month pay-as-you-go.

Pretty steep - or, looked at another way, ~50 cents a day. Price of one video game in an arcade, or an extra shot of espresso in your Starbucks venti coffee.

13. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Or one nice dinner a month :)

14. JLaFrance macrumors member

mmmm....starbucks....

Anyway, i think its well worth it. But to each his own

That is a good analogy though, one game at the arcade.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, but I am going to get a lot more hours of enjoyment from WoW than from an ipod flash (not that one exists...) during the year.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I do understand what he means about that. In this game, there is a very limited degree to which you can win a battle based on skill. There are decisions to be made in battle of course, but even a relative newbie who has put in enough hours and is lvl 20 will beat anyone in the world at lvl 14. A lower level character can beat a higher level one, but only if there is a fairly large difference in skill and a relatively small difference in level. Basically, your power in this game is determined by how many hours you put in.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

nice dinner for 13$? not where I live :)

as far as WoW, I agree it's very expensive and it basically "requires" you to get addicted. I would never buy as i don't have the kind of time (unfortunately) to make it worth it.
    they should include a 30-non-continuous-days bonus in the box (you only use the days when you play), and add a buck-a-day option.
    that way they could entice the occasional player.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

does that mean that the more time passes by, the harder it gets for newbies, 'cause the world is populated with ever more powerful characters? Or are there different areas depending on level?

19. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

just to be 100% clear... WoW is unplayable if you do not have the internet?
    so no single player?

20. rbarris macrumors 6502

This is correct, WoW is an internet based game and requires a live connection to reach the server.

Rob

21. JLaFrance macrumors member

correct

22. JLaFrance macrumors member

o0o, i get it now

23. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

What if you only want an extra shot of espresso on the weekends? Now that extra shot is almost $2. Doesn't seem like a deal to me anymore. The problem with monthly fees is that you pay them even if you don't use them.

24. rbarris macrumors 6502

Speaking strictly hypothetically since I don't have any info about billing or the business end of things here - an MMORPG company offering a cheaper "weekend pass" option, might find the effect would be to raise crowds even higher, exactly during the times when the servers were already the most crowded.

Put another way, it could be difficult to make a case for a discounted account that is only intended to be operated during peak crowd times.

Just playing the devil's advocate - I don't have any inside information on any of Blizzard's billing plans whatsoever.

25. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you genius you...keep them off my servers!! you do realize however the whole "server queue" issue could be avoided by having dynamic characters that can be used on ANY server...the whole Pacific realm doesn't have a SINGLE high population server, while Central and Eastern are basically all high population servers...if you're going to use time zones...restrict people to their own specific ones...don't let them all congest central because they have friends there. worst decision i have ever seen.