World Rally Championship Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Opteron, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Opteron macrumors 6502

While starting a little late this is will be the official place to post and dicussions, opinions, predictions, etc... about the WRC.

World Rally web site is: www.wrc.com

The current sandings after the Rally of Monte Carlo and the Rally of Sweden are:

Drivers
    1. S LOEB 20 Pts (Citroen)
    2. M GRÖNHOLM 13 Pts (Peugeot)
    3. M MÄRTIN 10 Pts (Ford)

Manufacturers
    1. CITROËN 24 Pts
    2. FORD 22 Pts
    3. PEUGEOT 17 Pts

After evey event from now until the end of the season I will bump this thread with current results and other news. Enjoy:D

P.S: Favourite Driver: Carlos Sainz
    Favourite Car: Celica ST-185 GT4 (1991):

2. iGav macrumors G3

Loeb was abit lucky in Monte what with Martin hitting that rock...

That said I think it'll be a toss up between Gronholm and Loeb for the title... I think Gronholm is the faster and more consistent of the 2, but I'm not sure how good the latest Pug is.

My Fav driver:
    Stig Blomqvist

Fav car:
    Ford RS 200 Group B

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Wasn't Carlos Sainz the driver who did the doughnut in a hairpin turn for the fans during the rally of Portugal in 2002?

I'm not usually one for showboating, but I thought that was a super move. Let's us remember that this is fun!

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn, i better pay my cable bill and get speedvision up so i can watch the coverage... having lived a few miles from woburn i used to go all the time, but of course they don't go there any more :(

well, check my 'tar and this pic to see what my favourite rally car is/was...

Attached Files:

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

that is one hell of a car. shame they had to stop using them as they were illegal. i have heard you can still buy band new ones of them. well not brand new but unregistered ones. ford made a load then when they were banned demand collapsed, now there are a load sat in a warehouse somewhere.

with regards to the WRC this year shame there is no Brits in it. bring back McRae. at least he adds interesting crashes!

6. iGav macrumors G3

Group B was insane... with cars like the Metro 6R4 (the same engine which went to power the Jag XJ220 no less) Lancia Delta S4 and the Pug T16 all were truly awesome and would still whoop any WRC car today... rumours of the time had some cars way above 600BHP+ and had the class continued developing, then we'd have seen 1000BHP by '88, instead they dropped Group B and reverted to Group A, and cars in that class had to derived from models where 5000 had to be made... that's when Lancia took over with the Integrale and then Toyota with the Celica.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Aye, what happened to Subaru :( ? And where the hell did Citroën come from :eek:

8. iGav macrumors G3

and Mitsubishi... they spent most of the late 90's winning every single year with Tommi...

As for Citroën, I'm not sure, but I think there car was derived from the Pug that kept winning everything a couple of years ago... it's such a bland, ugly car as well... unlike the Lancer... :D

come to daddy..... :D

9. iGav macrumors G3

There's no warehouse filled with RS 200's... believe me, I would have already broken in and stole one if there were... ;) :D

However, at the backend of the '80's and early '90's that was exactly the case, because the ones originally built by Ford were natty quality just to get homologation, and because Group B died at the end of '86, they had a warehouse full of the things that had to rebuilt to higher quality, and sold off as luxuy cars to offset the initial investment.

If you could track one down now, you'd still be paying serious $$$ as so few were made, 200 originally, but only 149 or something around that figure only made it out as road cars.... so they make Ferrari Enzo's look like they're mass-produced. :p

A company however bought the original Ford tooling for the bodies, and now they sell replica kits... based on a Austin Maestro of all things as the dimensions are apparently as good as identical.

Sure they ain't 4WD, or mid-engined, but, well who cares when it looks this cool... :D

http://banmoco.co.uk/200/

10. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure about the portugal move,

But he and his co-driver did beat up their car (corrola) when it broke down before not 500m form a WRC crown in 1999, handing the championship to tommi.

11. kenkooler macrumors regular

I hope I'll be able to attend when it comes to Leon this March.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Jeez, if a car could eat you... :eek:

13. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

Corona Rally Mexico

A long way for the Snow fields of Sweden, It's 1 week until the start of the first [​IMG]. I strongley recomend anyone living in the southern USA to make the trip accross the boarder and enjoy the spectical that is the WRC.

I'd personally like to see Carlos Sainz get up and supprise the pack, but who knows in this event, as anything can happen. Loeb looks tough to beat, but who know the cahallenge could come from anywhere in the pack of chacing drivers.

The official site of this rallie is www.rallymexico.com

14. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    It's time for Solberg to beat Loeb. I'm a big Subaru fan (I gots myself a WRX).

I've heard rumors that if Freddie Loix doesn't pick it up McRae might be driving a Pugeot pretty soon. Though it was just from the commentator on Speed. :rolleyes: Sure hope it's true though, McRae is the funnest driver to watch.

15. iGav macrumors G3

You've got a WRX... nice... did you have that when you were still in the SF Bay area?? if so, did you used to give it abit of welly up in Marin on a Sunday?? ;) :D

The amazing thing with McRae (although he seemed off colour last season), is that no one goes harder.. he's on the verge of loss of control pretty much all of the time, and frequently past it, and in some respects that's his downfall... where as someone like Gronholm is very calculated and smooth in his driving, but when he's on it, he's insanely fast.

Hopefully the time out from WRC will fuel his desire and he'll come back in a competitive drive, shame he didn't offer to driver for Ford for free, because at the mo, the Focus is bang on the money, as Martin showed in Monte where he was whooping all comers.

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Although I did have my WRX (I got it June 2002), I didn't frequent Marin. I was mostly in the East Bay and Silicon Valley. There's a nice drive from Redwood City to the ocean (Route 84 - Woodside Ave.) that I used to drive a lot.

And in that new car Gronholm seems even more smoother. If it's driving that well already, just wait... Loeb won't be at the top for long.

17. iGav macrumors G3

Is it quite tight and twisty?? :)

The roads up in Marin (and Northern California as a whole) are pretty incredible, especially once you head up into the hills... some seriously good, testing tarmac... unfortunately I only had a V6 Olds to attack it with :( , with really hefty understeer... not good when you're on roads with nasty drops on the side... :eek: :rolleyes: :p

So you never snuck up Marin for a cheeky few hours on a Sunday morning when everything's quiet to throttle that Scooby's Boxer 4?? :D

18. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Yes it's quite tight and twisty, with lots of elevation changes. There's two parts where it's so tight that only one direction of traffic can go through at a time.

There's the problem... on a Sunday morning I'm in bed. :) I only went up to Marin a couple of times, but I didn't drive either time. With the cost of gas and no income, you tend to go driving for pleasure less and less. Well, unless you think every time you drive your WRX is pleasure.

19. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

This may seem like a silly question but how does one actually become a Rally driver?
    Can anyone just soup up a car and participate? Or is all about sponsorship?

20. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Assuming you are in the USA, you can participate in the SCCA rally events. They have different classes based on what car you use. A good place to start before participating in a full on rally is to participate in RallyCross, where you drive on dirt, but you're just going around cones (so it's a lot less dangerous if you mess up). If you're good at that and want to move up, then go to a rally driving school. After that you can participate in races using your own car, and if you get good enough someone might sponser you to go pro.

Of course this won't get you into WRC, though . For that you'd have to be in Europe. This page is a quick summary of some way to get there via the British Rally Series and the like.

21. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

The Australin Rally Championship or ARC, is one of the strongest domestic rally competition in the world. Helped in no small way by the emence factory support of Mitsubishi, subaru and to a lesser extent Toyota.
    Many of the drivers came up through carts and even touring cars. Also each state has it's own small rally championship.
    Even so the easyest way to get in is to buy your way in like so many drivers these days.

22. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Man, Solberg was fastest on 9 of 15 stages, but because of a 5:40 penalty ended up in 4th. Crazy. Without that penalty, he would've been in first by a couple of minutes.

23. iGav macrumors G3

The question is though, would he have driven so hard had he been up there fighting for a win, when after his penalty he had nothing to lose? or would he have driven at a pace that was quick enough to win, but not to risk throwing it all away like the eventual winner? ;)

I was fearful that Loeb was going to win again through others misfortune... and open up an unassailable lead, this way, things are kept nice and tight for the championship :D

24. torque2k macrumors newbie

Ah, my favorites, Macs and WRC!!! Fun...

As for the hairpin stunt, I remember that only from seeing it replayed last year on SPEED -- it was Gilles Panizzi in Catalunya! Cocky sumbeetch... Here's a breakdown of the race: Subaru World Rally Team - Rallye Catalunya Final Result

I haven't watched the Mexico race, so DON'T TELL ME who won yet!!! Give me until tonight... :D J/K.

Does anyone know where I can get copies of the first two races? I watched them, but a buddy of mine missed them, and I've already dumped them from my PVR... Any help would be appreciated!

25. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Well it seemed to me that Solberg and Loeb were gonna run away from the rest and they would keep pushing each other to keep going fast. At the end of Stage 6 Loeb had a 36.1 second lead over Martin. Solberg would have been 26 seconds in front of Loeb though, so you're right, he probably would not have been pushing as hard at that point as he was being back in 10th place.