world series predictions

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 18, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yankees 4, marlins 2 ???

what do you think?

...but what i would like is for the series to go to seven games and to have the marlins win by one point but i think this is a very unlikely scenario...the yankees will slug the heck out of the ball and put up big points in some if not all the games...i think this will be a rather high scoring series overall and a joy to watch

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that the Yankees will win the World Series. They will go seven games just so they will not loose any income available. Playing in Yankee Stadium will probably throw off the Marlin's stride, the awe inspring history of the place.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The Yanks will win just like they have fifteen times in the last twelve seasons.

I don't know why I even bother, it's always the same.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the yankees have "on average" the best players in the game due to their high amount of money they have to spend on players...the biggest overall home run hitters may be bonds and sammy sosa, but the yanks have giambi and godzilla...the red sox have the best pitcher in baseball, but the yanks have clemens and wells and they are not far behind, and seattle has the best average on base hitter in ichiro but the yanks have jeter and others not far behind...so taken as a whole, the yankees have the best team money can buy since they have strenghs in all areas...and if the yanks got bonds, sosa, martinez, and ichiro, there would be no reason for a baseball season and the yanks could just play against each other

on top of the money issue, the yankees have that amazing history of post season play and somehow the momentum of 26 rings helps them along, even if they don't have their best possible world series lineup at times due to trades and injuries

the yankees' advantage is nearly insurmountable

out here on the west coast, we did have a couple bright moments...when los angeles beat the yankees way back when and when arizona beat the yankees a couple of years ago

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Jef, so is it your thought that it is going to be the Yankees in the World Series for the forseeable future?

What are your thoughts on Grady Little and the future of the Red Soxs?

6. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Who cares?

Does anyone really care what happens in the world series? In my opinion, it is a big let down of a series. This post season has been one of the best in recent years, but will have one of the most lackluster world series ever. The marlins have no fan base, and don't really have charisma. The Yankees have won so many world series, and have been there 6 times in the last 8 years, that their fans don't want to win, but expect to win. If either the Cubs and/or the Red Sox hadn't collapsed, this world series would have been an automatic classic. I think these sentiments will be reflected in the huge plumet in ratings from the LCS series.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

The Dodgers should move back to Brooklyn, and the Mets should move to Los Angeles.

Just an idea.

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

as long as the yankees have the most money and they are allowed to spend it as they like, they will always be a threat

i don't know about the red sox but they eventually have to win a world series

10. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

The Red Sox are going to win a World Series eventually, by the laws of probability. If something is possible, given enough opportunities, it will happen.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that it will happen in my life time. They are too focused on having 100% attendance at Fenway.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

florida - 1
    new york - 1

and the series resumes tonight in florida for three nights

what would be a real morale booster for baseball would be for florida to take the next three games and win at home but i don't see that happening unfortunately

new york is so deep in great pitchers and relievers with a proven post season track record or career record with pettitte, wells, clemens, and others and they can hit with big hitters and high average hitters...the yankees are like two super hot teams rolled into one roster and it's unfair since there is no salary cap

as much as i don't like the yankees, it's amazing to see one legend after another take to the field or the plate as the game goes on...the yankees are almost the AL all stars of any given year by themselves

and with the inclusion of just a handful of players from other teams, the yankees could be the equivalent of the olympics dream team in basketball:p

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

florida - 1
    new york - 2

and new york routed the marlins in the second and third games putting all types of points on the board...at this point, tonight's game is florida's last chance to turn the momentum or they will face themselves at 1-3 vs the yankees in the post season

...and it will be hopeless at that point...if it were the giants or cubs, i could hold out some hope, but he marlins are not even on the level of those two teams and the last two games in the world series showed everybody that

now that new york won last night, that means that the marlins would have to win the series while in new york and that is also not a good thing in front of those new york fans

14. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Personally, I can care less.

My World Series was the Yanks vs. Red Sox...........I'm a huge Yankee fan but I would've love to see the Yanks play Chicago in the series BUT what I believe what would've been great for baseball in general was to see Boston vs. Chicago in the World Series. That would've been great. Even as a Yankee fan, I would've love to seen that one. Oh well, next year.

PS--> To a previous post, a big budget helps for any teams BUT a big budget can't buy chemistry. Very important. Look at the Mets, Braves and Dodgers. Shoot.....look at the Marlin's...I believe their only working with a 50 million budget.

~e

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

don't forget that tonight is the last game of roger clemens (the rocket), one of the great right handers of all time

he is not coming back for another season and this will be special..the last game of a 20 year career and a sure hall of famer

i suspect it will be 6-0 or 6-1 again with a yankees win

16. job macrumors 68040

job

I was hoping to see a Cubs v Red Sox World Series with a Game 7 and extra innings to end it.

Damn Yankees. Damn Marlins. Since I can't stand the Yankees, by default I'm rooting for the Marlins.

*sigh* the curses continue.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

your marlins just pulled off a nail biter...now the series is tied at 2-2 and there is not going to be a rout this time...we have a series:D

my fear at the beginning was a 4-0 or 4-1 yankee domination series and from the last two 6-1 (beatings) games it looked like that may have happened, but thank god for the marlins...they may not have the same talent man for man, but they have more heart than the yankees can ever have

they remind me of arizona when they won the series, but at least arizona had schilling and johnson who were already legends of the sport...some of the marlins look like high school kids

18. job macrumors 68040

job

that homer was amazing. it barely cleared the wall and barely stayed fair. the marlins are a very young team. their third hitter in the line-up, caberra, is only twenty. but they have speed and they are not willing to give up. i stayed up for all 12 innings just to see how it would end. i'm glad the marlins hitter got the homer. i think he was 1 hit for 6 at-bats overall even though he was a powerful batter.

19. zach macrumors 65816

zach

I predict Marlins in 7. I mean, they've never lost a postseason series...

But wouldn't it be sweet if it was Yankees ahead by one in the bottom of the 9th, and Clemens comes in to save it and strikes out the side?

It would be a fitting end to an amazing career.

Ah, just my two cents..

20. job macrumors 68040

job

I don't know if Clements would be able to do that with the way the Marlins have been able to hit on him. It would be a nice end, but I don't see it happening.

Oh, and Marlins 3, Yankees 2. :)

21. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I didn't know Clemens was a homophobe.

*ducks*

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Although I am a Red Sox fan, I am now rooting for the Yankees, so at least we'll have lost to the best, instead of losing to someone who wasn't the best.

23. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

There are A LOT of fairweather Marlins fans aren't there?

They can barely get 15k to a regular season game then as soon as the playoffs come around the "fans" start coming out of the woodwork.

I predict Yankees in 7.

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the marlins have a 3-2 edge coming into this weekend's world series finale

but the yankees have the edge in having :

home field advantage
    better players
    and
    more experienced post season players

i give the series to the yanks who will win back to back games and take this series to seven games...it would be fun if the scores of those last two games were nail biters, but i predict the yanks will win both games, game six and game seven, but large margins

the marlin's ace pitcher is injured yet the coach doesn't want to use anybody else and that is not a good way to take on new york in the world series in their own home field...but what choice does florida have? they don't have the pitching depth of a new york, or atlanta or old or any other deep roster pitching team of the past

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove