World Trade Center design chosen

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacFan25, Feb 26, 2003.

1. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    OH MY GOD! A LAWN MOWER HAS ATTACKTED MANHATTAN hehe...i always thought those angular buildings were interesting..
  3. marcsiry macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    my fave

I live in Manhattan, and it's been my favorite design since the day they were unveiled.

The simplicity of the memorial- the bare retaining wall of the original foundation- is key among my reasons for liking it.

Additionally, this one had the least "eyesore factor" in my opinion. The THINK towers looked like the Twin Skeletons- a morbid reminder of what once stood there.

Hopefully the final design will retain some of the daring quality of the model- it's likely there will be a lot of concessions to business and economic realities between now and when the construction is complete.
  4. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The design seems like a compromise between the weird looking retro style designs proposed, and the more sensible, yet boring designs. The thing about this that is going to piss off people like Bin Laden, is that the architect is Jewish. I have nothing wrong with Jews, but many see them as the corruption of America, such as Bin Laden, many islamic extremist terrorist, and Bobby Fischer... I just hope for the best.
  5. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    This design always was the best of the lot, and I'm pleased as punch.

Also, don't forget that we're goin' for the world's tallest building's time we got that back!
  6. marcsiry macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    Let's hope so

Let's hope it pisses off Bin Laden.

Let's hope he comes, personally, to NYC to register his displeasure.

There's a few million New Yorkers who would like to have a word with him...

Anything we can do to annoy, harass, and generally piss off our enemies is fine with me. Along with blowing them to bits, of course.
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like the model. Hopefully it looks good in real life. :)

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I liked this one better. Best part is that the top part rotates!

Attached Files:

9. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

I'm disappointed

Not one building exceeds 70 stories. The 1,760ft garden tower is a fear-based attempt to get height without actually putting genuine business interests in what could someday be a target for attack again. And this fearful response is a moral victory for the terrorists.

Chalk one up for Osama.
  10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Re: I'm disappointed

Yeah I am dissapointed that they didn't choose one with more office space. I am glad that they are rebuilding something taller.

I was afraid that they would rebuild nothing and just have a memorial.
  11. sspitsbergen macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2002
    Farmington Hills, MI
    In response to a few of the comments:

The owner of the WTC said they would not allow living or office space over 70 floors since they cannot be evacuated.

As for the lack of office space, I think there is still a glut of office space in Manhatten anyway, especially after added 70 new floors of it.

Lastly, there was an article last week in the WSJ or I think that talked about the new races for the worlds largest towers, the one in Kaula Lampor, Singapore and somewhere else are all fighting each other. Pretty interesting.

12. jethroted macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    I don't know about this design. I don't really know about any buildings going up there actually. I mean think about it. They have not found all the bodies, so that means that some are still there. Now they are going to build on top of someones grave? That sounds creepy, and I will bet money that poeple will be seeing ghosts. Those buildings will be so haunted. Way too mant people died in very unhappy circumstances. They should have made a big garden/grave/memorial site, and treated it like a cemetary of sorts. There are people who are still stuck in the ground there for god's sake! I know that that space is too "valuble" to let sit empty, but it seems like a bad idea.
  13. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    "The architect says that having calculated the arc of the sun, a wedge of natural light would funnel visitors to the memorial site, and that every September 11 between 8:46 a.m., when the first tower was struck by a plane, and 10:28 a.m., when the second tower collapsed, no shadows will be cast by his buildings."
    I love that part of the design, though it will take almost a decade to finish the buildings, it will surely be a sight to be seen when completed.

Also, I think it's good that we are not going to fill up the entire building with offices again, not only for safety but for the fact that we really don't need to make this another business center, it's more than that and both of the final designs focused on culture rather than just money.
  14. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Nah. I personally don't subscribe to that. Nor do I subscribe to the idea that every time there's a disaster we need to set aside the space as a permanent cemetery. THAT would be a true victory for the terrorists.

The best thing we can do is to go in with life and do so as triumphantly as we can. Sing in front of the faces of our enemies. That's what rebuilding represents. I only wish that NYC would recapture what it once had: the rep for having the tallest buildings on the planet.

As for the undiscovered bodies, I have a feeling that they will NEVER find all of the remains. Many were likely incinerated, many were probably ground up in all the rubble. Gruesome yes, but probably true. I'm sure many of the remains were carried off as organis debris absorbed by the stone and other rubble carried away.
  15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002

Not so fast. Those uppers floors would have been unleasable, so that part of the design was entirely pragmatic.

I'm another who believes they picked the best design. The THINK proposal was just too literal. In 20-30 years people would be looking at those skeleton towers and asking themselves, "how much longer to we need to be reminded of what happened here in September 2001?" Leibskin's approach was far more subtle. Exposing part of the "pit" is something like tripping over bits of the Roman wall in central London surrounded by generations of subsequent building. I causes a person ponder the history of the spot, without having to clobber them over the head with it.
  16. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2002
    The design from Richard Meier's firm was the best, not this gaudy piece of Americana.
  17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Really? What did you like about his proposal?

I guess I'm not a big Meier fan. His Getty Center in LA works well enough once you're inside, but from down below it's hard to distinguish from the generic condo complexes nearby. The Getty spent nearly $1 billion on the center and what they got from Meier was not to my mind especially grand.
  18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    blah...another soul-less futuristic architectural disaster.

as faddish as the platform shoe.:eek:
  19. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sep 16, 2001
    Tuttlingen, Germany

Is there an approximate date for then the new centre is to be complete? I don't expect anything until at least 2012, but it would be nice to have some idea. IMHO, I like the design. I don't know why. It just seems so peaceful.

Also, I'm wondering what constitutes the world's tallest building. Is it just the sheer height, or is it the highest floor where people can be? Is there a difference between the world's tallest building and the world's tallest free-standing structure? The CN Tower stands at 553 metres (1,815 feet), but it's observation deck is only at 447 metres (1,465 feet).

Please enlighten me :)
  20. GeneR macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The land of delusions, CA.

I agree. I would think they might consider making a building that was one central building that took up the entire space of the city block where the two towers were. But the difference is this:

It would be taller than the Twin Towers.

Secondly, it would be hollow in two sections where the two towers originally existed.

I should think it wouldn't be such an eyesour if done tastefully with glass and metal skyviews. Think of it as a giant catherdral type building where you walking in and the ceiling is the same distance as the top of the Twin Towers' height. I think it would make it both a shrine as well as an extremely interesting complex for innovation and business.

My $0.02.
  21. pantagruel macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2002
    here and there
    I would have been happy with either of the final designs, but I do like this one more. That ray of light between the buildings will be incredible when its done. Now lets get to work on it already.
  22. mikulashek macrumors member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't consider what I do "living."
    I myself prefered the THINK teams choice, but this will not doubt serve the WTC well. Our prayers are with those departed.
  23. GeneR macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The land of delusions, CA.
    Come to think of it... Alex_ant has a good idea...

I think that picture's great. Great. Great. Great.

I would, however, add a giant disco ball to that arrangement... you know, hang it from the cross beam along with a giant pink fuzzy dice with white dots.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Its not a bad design, the buildings themselves since the won't overpower the skyline. But what I dont understand is what type of plants they're going to put on the spire/garden. The wind and weather conditions are going to require something special. Not to mention upkeep on them will be tough and expensive.

25. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    They say that pyramids on the tops of buildings are lucky.

I would expect this projec to cost well over $1 billion, and I wouldn't be surprised if it totals $10 billion as the final estimation.