World Travel Adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lem0n, May 10, 2005.

1. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

I just got a new PB 12"... I will do a lot of travelling between New York/ Tokyo/ Milan/ London, should I buy the world travel adapter kit? Are they any different to normal adapters and will I be better off buying normal adapters?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I bet somebody else will chime in, but the power converter will switch between 110-120/220-240 automaticly, so the converter kit contains adapters that plug directly into the power converter. If you already have adapter plugs, then you should be fine.

Fun life- traveling to thoes places.

Take a look at this company. They cover it all, and at worst are a great resource.

3. Melvin Furd macrumors member

Melvin Furd

World Adapter

New York and Tokoyo use the same plug.
    London and Milan are 2 different plugs. I purchase a multi unit power adpater plug first but got a humming sound on my power adapter , so I purchase the world travel adpater kit. A bit pricey I think, but piece of mind.

Travel Pac make some great travel tools.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends how many things you have to plug in and how many adaptors you want to carry. The advantage the Apple ones have is that they're relatively small so I've found it easier to carry one of those than a spare 'larger' adaptor. The argument for generic adaptors is that you can just take one or two and use them across multiple items. The trouble is that I generally find that I want to charge my computer/mobile/camera/PDA at the same time so end up carrying multiple chargers in any case.

The other advantage with the Apple adaptors is that it makes them easier to keep the chargers in some wall sockets. Trying to plug in the square Apple adaptor with a UK plug socket attached to the US adaptor plug led to hours of frustration with it being too 'heavy' for the socket and coming loose.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just buy 2 universal adapters. You only really need 3 different plugs, and one of them you already have (the North American/Japan plug). All you need are the UK and Continental Europe plugs.

I have electronics from all over the world, and I still think the universal adapter for $12-15 is the best deal around

Yes, but if you have an Apple World Travel kit, you still have to carry the universal adapter, or an adapter just for that country, in your bag with you if you're going to bring a camera, PDA, mobile phone, or electric razor.

Also, the plugs get a bit loose if you always switch out the plugs from any of Apple's white AC adapters.

6. FYA macrumors member

FYA

Apple world travel adapter kit

Don't waste your money... I made that mistake and it's absolute KraP!

They don't have a working ground pin, just buy a plug adapter for the countries that you'll be visiting and make sure that the ground pin is functional and not there as an ornament.

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm with Applespider on this one. The world travel kit is pricey but the quality of the plugs surpasses any multi-adapter set you can buy at Radio Shack or Sharper Image.

Particularly with those monster UK plugs, exactly as described, but also when using european power strips or sockets where the plug is recessed in a deep well. On more than one occassion, the Apple adapter was the only one I had which would work.

Using universal adapters or the multikits is often functional, but you'll be perpetually dealing with plugs falling out of walls, fitting too loosely, or needing to prop up the power brick against the wall with some weird rube goldberg/tinkertoy construction built from supplies you've scavanged from your hotel room.

8. lem0n thread starter macrumors regular

lem0n

hmmm... I think I'll buy them after all, I still remember the horror of having nothing to charge my iPod, therefore having to go without my iPod for such a long time in Switzerland... And I don't speak german to go and buy the adapter... I guess being prepared always help...
    Thanks for all the help... :D

9. Melvin Furd macrumors member

Melvin Furd

You can get other adapters to plug into your powerbook usb port to charge.
    I use a world adapter kit and then have usb chargers for my cell phone and pda, that way you bring less plugs with you.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i recently went to london and purchased apple's universal adapter kit (not just for london, for future travel, too).

while i was there, my ibook worked fine on 220/50 using the adapter. but now that i'm back, it won't charge.

symptoms:
    - the orange/green charge light doesn't come on
    - the power adapter does not get warm
    - the battery does not charge

i'm hoping it's simply the adapter and nothing in the ibook (i have neither a spare adapter or ibook against which to try it). anyone else experience this?

the other thing i noticed is that my battery tended to charge slower and drain faster on 220. not by a lot, but enough for me to notice.