World War III immenent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/20/bush.national.security/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/09/20/mideast.compound/index.html

With the current U.S. policy on Iraq and the situation with Yasser Arafat right now, I have this really scary gut feeling that something terrible is going to happen very soon.

I saw on CNN tonight that the U.S. is preparing for a blitzkreig attack on Iraq within the next few days. Nations such as Russia, China, and France oppose an attack on Iraq. If the U.S. does attack Iraq, it could trigger a response from opposing nations, igniting a nuclear holocaust.

In the meantime, Yasser Arafat remains holed up in his Presidential Office with the Israeli army right outside demanding that 20 terrorists inside (wanted by Israel) come out and surrender. Just about 30 minutes ago, Israeli soldiers opened fire on this building and now the building Arafat is in has become structurally unstable, endangering him and others inside. If the building does collapse, and Yasser Arafat dies, it could result in a violent response from other Arab Nations, possibly igniting another World War.

Is it interesting to note that Revelations 18, 19 seems to follow this very very carefully. Will this be one of the last battles between good and evil? :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    All it takes is one BIG mistake, people. Just one mistake by one nation during times of high tention could tick off enough nations to start a world war. For example, an assasination. This is exactly how World War I started. Imagine if Yasser Arafat were assinated by an unsuspecting Israeli. That would tick off a lot of Arab nations, possibly leading them to attack Israel with chemical, biological, and/or nuclear weapons. If that happens, the U.N. may retaliate against the offending nations. Boom! World War III.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Here's Revelations 18-19 FYI

For those of you who don't read the Bible (myself included)

18:1 After these things, I saw another angel coming down out of the sky, having great authority. The earth was illuminated with his glory.

18:2 He cried with a mighty voice, saying, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great, and she has become a habitation of demons, a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird!

18:3 For all the nations have drunk of the wine of her impure passion, the kings of the earth committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from the abundance of her luxury."

18:4 I heard another voice from heaven, saying, "Come out of her, my people, that you have no participation in her sins, and that you don't receive of her plagues,

18:5 for her sins have reached to the sky, and God has remembered her iniquities.

18:6 Return to her just as she returned, and repay her double as she did, and according to her works. In the cup which she mixed, mix to her double.

18:7 However much she glorified herself, and grew wanton, so much give her of torment and mourning. For she says in her heart, 'I sit a queen, and am no widow, and will in no way see mourning.'

18:8 Therefore in one day her plagues will come: death, mourning, and famine; and she will be utterly burned with fire; for the Lord God who has judged her is strong.

18:9 The kings of the earth, who committed sexual immorality and lived wantonly with her, will weep and wail over her, when they look at the smoke of her burning,

18:10 standing far away for the fear of her torment, saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! For your judgment has come in one hour.'

18:11 The merchants of the earth weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise any more;

18:12 merchandise of gold, silver, precious stones, pearls, fine linen, purple, silk, scarlet, all expensive wood, every vessel of ivory, every vessel made of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble;

18:13 and cinnamon, incense, perfume, frankincense, wine, olive oil, fine flour, wheat, sheep, horses, chariots, bodies, and people's souls.

18:14 The fruits which your soul lusted after have been lost to you, and all things that were dainty and sumptuous have perished from you, and you will find them no more at all.

18:15 The merchants of these things, who were made rich by her, will stand far away for the fear of her torment, weeping and mourning;

18:16 saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, she who was dressed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls!

18:17 For in an hour such great riches are made desolate.' Every shipmaster, and everyone who sails anywhere, and mariners, and as many as gain their living by sea, stood far away,

18:18 and cried out as they looked at the smoke of her burning, saying, 'What is like the great city?'

18:19 They cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and mourning, saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, in which all who had their ships in the sea were made rich by reason of her great wealth!' For in one hour is she made desolate.

18:20 Rejoice over her, O heaven, you saints, apostles, and prophets; for God has judged your judgment on her."

18:21 A mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone and cast it into the sea, saying, "Thus with violence will Babylon, the great city, be thrown down, and will be found no more at all.

18:22 The voice of harpists, minstrels, flute players, and trumpeters will be heard no more at all in you. No craftsman, of whatever craft, will be found any more at all in you. The sound of a mill will be heard no more at all in you.

18:23 The light of a lamp will shine no more at all in you. The voice of the bridegroom and of the bride will be heard no more at all in you; for your merchants were the princes of the earth; for with your sorcery all the nations were deceived.

18:24 In her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all who have been slain on the earth."

19:1 After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, "Hallelujah! Salvation, power, and glory belong to our God:

19:2 for true and righteous are his judgments. For he has judged the great prostitute, who corrupted the earth with her sexual immorality, and he has avenged the blood of his servants at her hand."

19:3 A second said, "Hallelujah! Her smoke goes up forever and ever."

19:4 The twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who sits on the throne, saying, "Amen! Hallelujah!"

19:5 A voice came forth from the throne, saying, "Give praise to our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, the small and the great!"

19:6 I heard something like the voice of a great multitude, and like the voice of many waters, and like the voice of mighty thunders, saying, "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns!

19:7 Let us rejoice and be exceedingly glad, and let us give the glory to him. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his wife has made herself ready."

19:8 It was given to her that she would array herself in bright, pure, fine linen: for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.

19:9 He said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" He said to me, "These are true words of God."

19:10 I fell down before his feet to worship him. He said to me, "Look! Don't do it! I am a fellow bondservant with you and with your brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God, for the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy."

19:11 I saw the heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it is called Faithful and True. In righteousness he judges and makes war.

19:12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has names written and a name written which no one knows but he himself.

19:13 He is clothed in a garment sprinkled with blood. His name is called "The Word of God."

19:14 The armies which are in heaven followed him on white horses, clothed in white, pure, fine linen.

19:15 Out of his mouth proceeds a sharp, double-edged sword, that with it he should strike the nations. He will rule them with a rod of iron. He treads the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of God, the Almighty.

19:16 He has on his garment and on his thigh a name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."

19:17 I saw an angel standing in the sun. He cried with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in the sky, "Come! Be gathered together to the great supper of God,

19:18 that you may eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, and small and great."

19:19 I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him who sat on the horse, and against his army.

19:20 The beast was taken, and with him the false prophet who worked the signs in his sight, with which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

19:21 The rest were killed with the sword of him who sat on the horse, the sword which came forth out of his mouth. All the birds were filled with their flesh.

3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I really doubt if it will be WWIII. I see WWIII being more likely getting caused by the UN trying to limit various country's powers. I'm not saying it will be the US or anytime soon but the way things are going with the UN it is probable that they will ignite a war in the future by pushing American/European policies on Arab and Asian countries.

Flame away....

5. vniow macrumors G4

What exactly do you mean? I just thought it interesting that Shrek compared WWIII to a few passages in the Bible.
    It's not the only one that predicts the end of the world soon, the Mayan calander ends in 2012.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That's just a pop culture myth. The mayans had divisions of years similar to centuries and millenia. One large division covered a huge amout of time (9000 years I think) Their calendar simply ended there because they saw no reason in extending it further. It would be like finding one of our 5-year calendars and declaring that we thought the world would end in 2007.

7. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Edvniow,

I just laugh out loud once i saw the picture that you posted "Buckle up folks - This Thread is going to get ugly".
    About the Bible... hmmmm, I respect it as I respect another book, but I think that it was funny when you said "For those of you who don't read the Bible (myself included)".

8. vniow macrumors G4

Okay, I just wasn't sure what you referring to.
    Durandal7, thanx for the rebuttal. I've heard bullsh*t from both sides and I'm still trying to figure it out.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think its very unlikely that WW3 will break out if the US invades Iraq. Russia, China, and France would DEFINANTLY not use nuclear weapons in response to an attack. They are not that hostile to the US, there is no way that they would go that far. The two worst things that could happen are one: Iraq uses chemical and Biological weapons against the US, prompting a nuclear attack by the US(Worst case secnario) or a more likely situation is that Iraq launches missiles with chemical and biological against Isreal and Isreal responds with a Nuclear attack(During the Gulf War Isreals Nukes were moved out of storage and onto launch pads) Thus igniting a huge conflict beteween the Arabs and Isreali's.

10. NatronB macrumors regular

What do the Mayans know anyways?

And I loved the "good v. evil" comment. Believers of such rhetoric have a place in the Bush White House :)

I think most of us would agree that the looming conflict has far more to do with history, economics and (above all) politics than religion or 'evil.'

So hopefully, no WWIII.

With that said Saddam Hussein is a Machiavellian in the extreme. He knows conflict keeps him in power.

He's also a rat, and we all know how cornered rats act. When the walls are tumbling down he may just decide to write himself a chapter in the "History of Nutball Lunatics" and take a few hundred Israelites with him. The Israeli response is pretty obvious.

I don't have any answers, but I don't like a situation where war is the only solution. There are other ways to deal with rats.

As for you war-mongers out there, if you can give me a reason why we should attack Iraq now while we didn't attack Iran 3 years ago, I might be interested.

In the end, it's all very complicated.

"In any event wrapping yourself in the flag and burying your head in the sand is not an appropriate way to deal with an unwelcome philosophical challenge. It may not be evil, but it isn't very nice." -Michael Kinsley

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

to be a world war 3, there needs to be more than one superpower, and those superpowers need to have major military capability, and those superpowers need to be at a diplomatic standstill and possibly be seeking a military solution

in this world right now, we only have one superpower and even though the situation in the middle east is far from perfect, it is not world war 3

usa allies, some of them oppose our actions abroad and so do some of our not so close acquaintances, but what would make them want to attack us...and with what resources?

the gulf war was a better argument for world war 3, and even then it would have been an extremely weak argument at that

but world peace, that is a different issue, and it is so obvious that we are not "there" yet

12. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Uh no, as anything can happen.

Keep on dreamin'. :rolleyes:

13. BongHits macrumors regular

considering are all knowing ancestorrs burned their libraries to the ground...we'll never know...altho im sure if we had learned from them our culture would be several thousand years more advanced (considering we're still learning from them...do we even know how they built their temples in such remote areas)

14. BongHits macrumors regular

to say that we're a super power is somewhat rediculous if u ask me...
    sure we can drop 50,000 tons of bombs on a country, because we have plenty of loot...but if we're fighting this war alone, we can't do it forever.

let's say for example we attack Iraq, and every nation but Britain condemns our actions. Next thing you know we're fighting the whole world and you'll be hard pressed to find enough Americans that believe in this war to actually fight it for you...

15. spuncan macrumors 6502

1st a rebutle to NatronB/Everyone- hmm try to look at the bible as a big huge metaphor/history book. Many of the bibles stories especially those of creation and apocalypse can be though of as symbols and metaphors of something that actually did happen. (i.e. fruit of wisdom in the garden of eden, us begining to eat fat and large quantities of protein increasing our brain mass and overall intelligence (this is imo))
    As 4 WW3 I think it could be possible that the middle east is a trigger 4 WW3 if every worst posible outcome occurs. But I think its more likely that it is part of a string of events that leads to some sort of war. Finally as for sadamm I think we will find no traces of WoMD becuase none exist or he hid em all and his rein will go on 4 a while until he dies or is over thrown.

16. wwworry macrumors regular

If we do invade Iraq isn't there a greater possibility that the people of Pakistan might get pissed off enough to move towards radical Islam? Pakistan does have working nukes and is not very stable.

So in stamping out one problem we create another. Wouldn't we be better off pushing for a Palestinian state which would relieve some of the anti-US vitriol, cost less and not so many innocent people would die.

The US could play this a bit smarter. War should be the last resort.

17. big macrumors 65816

big

this is my chance to throw in how we need to reorganize our cities into Garden cities huh?

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the whole world will fight us over this?

the last two world wars involved superpowers with intent to take over the world by force...three axis powers vs several superpowers and some minor ones

how is this situation now similar to world war I or II?

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I don't see any relation to WWI or WWII here. Iraq will most likely end up as some sort of Tora Bora type operation on a larger scale. Palestine will trigger bickering in the Middle East but that's nothing new. No one will touch Isreal because of nuclear reprisal. If India and Pakistan went to nuclear war the entire world would back off and it would be done with.

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

In response to the thread title - Don't be silly.

The world's been in far worse shape than this. Take for example the Bay of Pigs debacle, and the Cuban Missile crisis.

Although many of you weren't even born back then (me included...), the planet was teetering on the edge of the abyss. And it wouldn't have taken much to go over at all. Ask your parents about it - it was a nasty time.

I was a Cold War baby too (born in 1970) - and pretty much oblivious to our plight until I was 11, when my teacher read out a newspaper article about the probability of a Global Nuclear Conflict. We were stunned - even in little old New Zealand, it seemed we were not immune. Life suddenly got a lot more serious for us all.

But life goes on - and the powers-that-be are generally smarter and more sensible than you give them credit for. At least, that's what you hope when you elect them. Sometimes, however, they need a nudge in the right direction...

For the life of me, though, I can't see the reason for an allied strike against Iraq. The people are poor, downtrodden and demoralised. Only their united dislike for the countries that have implemented the crippling sanctions against them are keeping them bonded in solidarity.

Imagine being in their position - You have a mad leader, but you follow him anyway (and not by choice - you don't have any say in the matter). But you have a family you have to support, clothe, feed and supply medicine to - especially for your sick child, who more than likely will die without proper medication. Ironically, the medicine is readily available in other countries, and will cure your child easily. But because of sanctions, no one buys your nation's product (oil - a highly sought-after commodity), and vitally important necessities such as food and medicine are blocked from entering your country, which causes your people to suffer. To add insult to injury, precious grain silos containing valuable food stocks, and schools containing children are bombed by allied jets - as a so-called peace-keeping measure, or because of unreliable intelligence (take for example the accidental bombing of the Chinese Embassy!).

Now - YOU tell me...

If the United States, for example, were attacked by someone, because that country didn't like the administration running it, they would feel wronged by the country responsible, wouldn't they? (Especially if the attack killed or injured innocent people). Why, then, are the US doing exactly what they say they're fighting against?

Even though the United States is such a large country, with an amazing wealth behind it, I still can't understand why their government can somehow justify policing the world, and mould it in their image. Variation is a beautiful thing. Everybody is not the same.

And although I am a FIRM BELIEVER in freedom for ALL, I don't accept there is any benefit to changing someone's views with a fist. It will only generate animosity and create enemies.

There is a better way. There has to be.

I work for a news organisation, and they give me the opportunity to travel to Iraq to see first-hand the crippling devastation created by these inhuman sanctions put in place by the UN. In fact, when the air-raids commence on Baghdad, no doubt you'll be watching those images LIVE on television, and thinking: "There's actually a Western TV crew in there, filming that from the roof of a building..." - Well, that's the job I do. I'm a cameraman, and I see what really happens. I'm sick of seeing body parts strewn across the streets, children crying for their dead parents, and parents crying for dead children. As a parent, my perspective on life has changed dramatically. I look at my 2-year old son and hope for a peaceful future for him, but am troubled by the images of parents who have lost their children in conflict that I have seen over the years.

It's up to us to change the way our leaders think and act on the world stage. It shouldn't be about oil, or money, or power (even though it inevitably is), but it SHOULD be about FREEDOM. That's what we should be striving for - and not at the price of losing our identities or cultures.

21. Choppaface macrumors 65816

well i guess terrorist is our new communist....

22. 3777 macrumors 6502

There are about a million different things that can bring about an end to the world tomorrow........ an Asteroid, heck there's even a Volcanic Island off of the Cape Verde's, and if it erupts again it could collapse an entire side of the island into the Atlantic Ocean and create a 2000........ yes folks....... 2000 foot tidal wave that would wipe out everything east of the Mississippi........

so I will not worry about things........ and I definitely won't lose any sleep if we make Iraq our 51st State, because we need the oil (Heck especially someone like me, who drives Jeeps and other 4x4's:cool: ) ..........and Saddam Hussein is a worthless pile of horse manure anyway..... he gassed hundreds of women and children about 10 years ago just so he could try out his chemical weapons....... anyway, after we get rid of him maybe we could kick the UN out of New York........ :D

P.S. I do think that if we go in, Hussein will throw the kitchen sink at us, I just hope it doesn't include smallpox or something like that......

23. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Iraq is not the trigger for WWIII. I also don't think that any Middle Eastern nation itself stands to start another World War.

We may piss some people off, but Iraq is a country that can be decimated in months by the U.S., and the U.S. alone.

The U.N. members who oppose such an action may be quite vocal, but frankly, in this day and age, the threat of a U.S. trade embargo will silence opposition from any first world country.

The reason that we're the only remaining superpower has nothing to do with our arsenal, and everything to do with our trade.

There was quite a bit of opposition to Desert Storm, which was also a grossly mismatched endeavor. Most governmental opposition went remarkably quiet with a few trade threats, and the small remainder was quickly forgotton.

The only countries, in my opinion, which have the power and inclination to start WWIII are India and Pakistan, which both have the capability to go nuclear, as well as strong current and historic ties to Western nations. The current climate has led to huge diplomatic
    investments in both countries to avoid conflict, but who knows.