World, where's the aid?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chibianh, Sep 1, 2005.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

World, where's the aid?

Maybe I missed something, but after the tragic events earlier this week down at the gulf coast, has any other countries offered any sort of help? If they have, ignore the rest of my post as I have not seen or read anything about it.

I understand America can take care of herself, but when something of this magnitude happens anywhere else in the world, the US has always been one of the top, if not THE top, contributor of aid.

Where's everyone else now? I know we are hated like the plague around the world, but this i snot a political issue anyway. I'd like to have an open mind, but sometimes, it's not worth it.

Again, if I'm wrong, i apologize. But if i'm not, I hope you understand why i'm ranting.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

While i've a lot of sympathy for the people of new orleans this shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the tsunami, the death count is a couple of factors of 10 out for a start.

Plus, let's face it, america is one hardly poor (look at all the money it spends blowing people up) and two hardly popular (look at all the money it spends blowing people up).

4. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

my apologies.. i guess the media just hasn't paid any attention to it.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Of course not, they probably think it makes American look weak.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Didn't President Chavez of Venezuela also pledge support and medial aid and oil?

A week after one of Bushs cronies calls for his assassination no less.

Edited due to me being a moron.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

copy and paste from "another board"
    If you send money to them it all goes to the corrupt dictators who will spend it on big cars and helicopters
    And the poor black villagers will see none of it.

Much truth in jest.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nowhere near the top if it's looked at in the form of a % of GNP. in terms of sheer dollars, yes. And some of their developmental cash is tied to that country passing certain laws etc tied to political ends unfortunately.

You'll probably find aid being offered more in terms of expert help and resources rather than cash since as the richest nation in the world, much of the foreign public (who are the ones to put the pressure on the government for monetary aid) will feel the US should be able to take care of her own unlike the poorest nations where disasters on this scale usually happen and where they'd end up in more debt trying to cope on their own.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You're thinking of Venezuela.

10. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

And thats why I'm a moron. :)

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What is happening over there is awful, but so far as aid goes, America is loaded (even though it's actually not, it spends money it doesn't have), the world is made to know that America is a rich and powerful nation with seemingly infinite resources, you would expect it could deal with this "in house", and as someone else said, wouldn't want outside help with this one anyway.

That being said, all the best to anyone involved over there right now, I can't imagine the nightmare it must be...though I hear the military and police have pulled out because of armed looters shooting at them!?!?!? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

12. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

ok, ok,

JIMn,

my liberal self has had it and needs a little right swinging patriotism.

the american president has made some bad decisions, and the rest of the world can feel free to judge the book by it's cover, but regardless when the tsunami hit (or any other natural disaster or war for that matter) america, and a lot of private citizens wept and prayed along with the rest of the world and donated a s%^t load of money, again much of it from private citizens. and many millions of americans (many in need themselves, with the economy having been the way it has) gave selflessly. we write songs and and hold vigils for the victims, etc.... most americans are gradeA wonderful caring people who love all the world. and everytime something happens we are the first ones all you righteous asses call for to help out.

not everything our gov't does is right, thats for damn sure.. but i also know that there are hundreds of thousands of american dead buried all over this planet that fought for other countries to maintain the same freedoms and rights that we enjoy and to comtinue to live and prosper greatly on the soil they lay in.

i also remember a few bombs bursting in britain and people screaming it was their 9/11... psshttt.

the tsunami and the hurricane don't compare in life lost, yes, but their are hundreds of thousands who have lost everything, many of them not having much to begin with, and there can NEVER be enough aid.

so personally (and this is just my opinion) the entire group of people who CONSTANTLY think the US can do no good, blow the F off and and don't call us for our dirty money and seedy assistance next time a hitler comes knockin' on your door, and your millions are in utter dispair, and sit with yourselves and ask if you would really like for all the dispicable men and women of this united states to remember all the times we were shunned and hated while giving selflessly to others in need. maybe we should have taken a pacifist stance in WW2 then you would be speaking as a german right now, huh?

end rant.

I am a loving caring individual with varied and wonderful friends all over this planet (and i'm sure you are too), but the patriot in me can only take so much bashing. sorry you happened to trigger it.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then maybe if Rommel had pushed through to the oil-fields of the Middle-East we'd all be dancing to some German lieder... please, give us a break -- you'll get all the aid you need.

14. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Well said ;)

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Songs and vigils do a lot of good, yeah right! I agree that most Americans are great people along with most other people around the globe, many of whom dig deep in disaster situations and hand out cash they can ill afford.
    Look at this table to see that you as a nation don't do more than others. The per capita amount donated to the tsunami victims from private individuals in the US was less than $7. Most of Europe and Canada gave closer to $20 per person. And while you may be the first on the scene in some instances, you're not always the ones most welcomed or asked for.

Now statements like that are really going to encourage support - I almost wish I could cancel the credit card donation to the US Red Cross that I made on Tuesday evening.

The Tube bombings were a terrorist attack on UK soil just as 9/11 was on US soil - although thankfully on a smaller scale. If you're going to compare the tsunami and the hurricane, you can't 'psshttt' smaller terrorist carnage... particularly when Al Queda have hinted that the towers falling were a bonus to them since they only expected to kill those on the topmost floors.

Faux News (yes, we get that over here on satellite) were covering the Venezuelan offer and to be honest, sounded insulted that he'd offered.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks for posting this, you beat me to it.

Yes, other countries are responding, at the least with sympathies if not with offers of assistance. I think we deserve our reputation as ugly Americans when we tell other countries that they "owe" us because we've provided them with aid during their past disasters, etc.

More often than not, when I help someone, I'm not doing it because I expect some favor in return. I just don't think it helps anyone to keep score for things like this. :(

17. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

apparently you didn't get the gist of my post...

a tragedy is a tragedy, regardless of how big or small, the person i replied to is from britain and was devaluing a situation simply because someone here compared katrina and the tsunami... and i countered with london/9-11 to be....OMG.... wait for it.... sarcastic.

maybe my post wasn't clear enough.

I am fully simpathetic for the rest of the world, as a matter of fact i verge on vigilante in my thoughts about handling certain situations (tibet, anyone, darfur?) my point is i'm sick of everyone making americans out to all be rich, selfish, war-mongering, brute, undeserving of the same charities we would give if the table were turned... thats all... don't have to read it to deep.

charity is charity is it not? who said anything about us giving more to anyone? what is this a pissing contest? is my man/womanhood bigger than yours? the simple point i was arguing was the dispair and anger i am beginning to feel over people lumping "america" together as a horrid entity not deserving of compassion because in some way or another "we had it coming" or we "deserve" it.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fool! Why let the facts get in the way of a good argument?

Great post. :)

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think anyone is trying to make out that all Americans are rich, selfish blah blah, but your Government would have us believe nothing is to big or costly for them to handle (and with a disaster like this it doesn't matter how much money the people have, only those in charge can really do anything to help the situation - Bush & co.), and that if anyone can deal with anything, they can deal with it on a bigger and better scale than anybody else.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

not really.
    I understand it's a rant but it's incorrect in its analysis and very much misplaced.
    the only think right is about the fact that american people are, by and large, generous. they generally are.

but, regardless of the fact that we CERTAINLY have more resources than most places where this kind of things typically happen, foreign aid is ALREADY coming, (i've seen direct news regarding germany, china, venezuela, russia, france, italy).
    the government (our) said it is evaluating the offer of help from dozen of countries, and the american red cross will be coordinating help from sister organizations from all over the world.

and with time going by, more and more private organizations/foundations will be helping as well.

so please stop with inappropriate rants and historically inaccurate depictions.
    (and if the us had not entered WWII -which was done exclusively based on well thought strategic reasons- they (the western europeans) would most likely be speaking russian, and so might we)

21. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i agree with that edesign,

i'm not denying that our gov't does some chest puffing and some ****** stuff... i am a huge opponent of the last two wars we have instigated. i think maybe i implied something other than frustration at always feeling compassionate for the rest of the world, but feeling almost personally attacked when ever something about "american" comes from anyones mouth... we don't all do as our gov't does.

and honestly i don't know where the comparing money donated comes from and what do any facts have to do with the argument... this is purely sociological in nature... it's about attitudes towards the US not how much we give, but the simple fact that we do give, and just as often as anybody else.

and there is not meant to be any swipe at the british or any other country for that matter, just defending mine on the grounds that it deserves it... just as anyone else would do

and no i don't think anyone "owes" us, either. the point is simple...

the first poster said his piece, then someone chimed in with what seemed like the attitude that we are all hated and don't particularly "deserve" any aid we may be looking at.... yes my emotions were a little heated, but the post wasn't meant as a swipe at anyone accept those people who make us ALL out to be horrible. so i'm sorry if it came off that way, i said what i said, and i still believe it stands on its own when taken in context.

my apologies to all my friends here who i may have offended, as i do love you all as a long time member of the board who usually keeps things friendly and apple-of-my-eye oriented....

some americans who are very concerned about our actions in the world are just beginning to feel a little "vilified" and thrown in with the commanding few lately, thats all. maybe i was a little harsh.

it hurts when you are being made out to be something you know you are not.

technocoy

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

very well said, lyle

23. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Im not saying anyone "owes" us anything. Its the ones that complain that we dont do our fair share. We dont "owe" anyone in the world anything. Most of the time you give money and then there is complaints that it wasnt enough. Sounds just like a bum on the street corner the other day. He is always out there begging for money. For some stupid reason I gave him a $1 and he had the nerve to ask for more.

Oh and about ww2 you would be speaking german because without two real fronts russia would have probably not made it either.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, of course you don't... not the hundreds of thousands of lives ruined by Agent Orange, not the victims of Hiroshima, not the countless victims of totalitarian and brutal dictatorships that your government has supported through the decades. I could go on but why bother...

Your hands are clean. Sleep tight.

25. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

this is like ping pong....

hey you made a mistake with the crusades, we did the same with hiroshima. of course our mistake ended a war that had left several million people dead.

let's just shake hands... i don't think anyones are clean.