World's best and most expensive home speaker system

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Mar 14, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! That's fantastic, phased array acoustics! At work we're doing some beam forming for RF and using a very large phased array (HAARP ). Cool stuff, but way too expensive, and not really all that pretty. Even without all the wires, there would probably be a setup hassle. Getting that thing to work in different shaped/sized rooms would take some good tweaking and a pro to figure it out correctly. ;)

D

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

So like, when you go to buy one of these, do you need to provide notarized documentation of your ***** being less than 2" long, or will the store take your word for it?

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The other day I saw a 7" cable that cost $3000 or something laike that, just because it was pure whatever without any oxigen inside or something like that.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

6. ozubahn macrumors regular

Re: Here is the link

Oxygen-free copper? For $3000 per inch, I would expect something a little better than that. $25000 is equivalent to a cube of solid, unalloyed gold about two inches on a side. That ought to be enough for a measly 8" cable. Copper? Bah! I laugh at copper.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Here it is

"At $23,500 for an 8' pair, clearly the most expensive cable ever produced."

We should make a trhead about "out of proportions" things like that in the net.

Attached Files:

8. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Best for what?

While this looks pretty cool, it may not be the best home speaker system at all--at least not the best for everything. I saw a presentation by this guy who owns a company called OmniSonic. While the guy was a bit of an ass, the speaker is pretty unbelievable. The technology involved makes perfect sense (if you understand sound, how it travels and bounces off things, and the problems with playing live music). If he can market the thing correctly, it could really revolutionize sound reproduction.

Anyway, if you are interested, check it out here:
    http://omnisonic.com/page1.html

Chris

9. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

10. yosoyjay macrumors regular

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: expensive?

At some point its just not worth it to have speakers that good. I'm sorry.

I have some Bose Acoustimass and I'm perfectly happy - and I didn't have to put a second mortgage on the house to buy them ;)

D

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I remember reading in Stereophile about a speaker system that cost $1,000,000. Not sure of the make and model... I'll have to dig out the issue.

In the ultra high-end world, $40,000 for 5 speakers is nothing.

EDIT: If you care about high price tags on audio equipment and want to read about some incredibile stuff, don't read Sound and Vision. Read Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, or something similar.

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Do people really need a million dollar speaker system? I mean, I'm sure it sounds good, but still.