Worlds of Warcraft compared to Final Fantasy XI

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chrispy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hello. Now I am not sure how many people on this forum have played FFXI since it is a PC only game but I am guessing there are still a decent number that have. My question is, for those how have played both, how does WoW compare. I am getting frustrated with the pace of FFXI and I have heard from other online sources that WoW is a better game. I like to play for 1 or 2 hour blocks and many times I just like to solo for awhile. This is hard to do in FFXI once your levels get higher and I was wondering if there are similar issue in WoW or if I will be more satisfied with it. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks! :)

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I played FFXI from launch day for PC off and on for about 8 months. I hated it about half the time and kept quitting and coming back for lack of a better alternative. There were just so many things I hated about it, I just gave up on MMORPGs all together after that. Then, WoW came out, and I've been hooked on that since then. It is just better in nearly every way and fixes pretty much every issue I had with FFXI.

Get WoW, and you'll never look back.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68020

ErikGrim

WoW is very suited to your style of play. With the rest bonus you can come back a couple of days later and level faster. You will have to group to finish higher level quests though, but that is how MMORPG-gameplay is supposed to be: social.

I'm often frustrated with the non-impact you have as a player in these games, but the social aspect more than makes up for it though. I haven't been hooked on a game like this since...well forever.

4. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Wow these two posts alone are making me want to run out and buy the game tonight! I was afraid MMORPGs were all going to be like FFXI. Keep your opinions coming :)

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Get wow. You can go from 1-60 without ever joining a guild or having to group seriously. Also if you have played any warcarft games before you will find your self saying "holy crap its a *enter warcraft unit here*" The game play is really fun as well.

If you do get wow just don't play a rogue a shamen paladin or hunter as you will never get in groups at 60 and you will have no peer respect. ;)

6. Koree macrumors 6502

WoW is great, they are adding stuff constantly.

In my opinion, if you want pvp, go for WoW, because there are litteraly teams in this game, you can work together to fight off real players. So therefore there is ALWAYS something you can do, and just recently they have put in the honor system, which makes it so there is a point to doing it. And battlegrounds will be coming soon, which puts you in the middle of huge battles, that will eventualy include siege weapons etc. GREAT FUN!

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Get WoW. There isn't even a comparison here; I've played FF XI for a short time on a friend's copy... and it s u c k e d. This coming from a huge Final Fantasy fan.

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Well I have been convinced. I just went out and bought WoW and I am installing it as I type this. Also, my Dell 2005 came today so I'm really pumped! I am a very thankful person right now. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm excited to dig into WoW. :)

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

FFXI to me, as a HUGE FF fan, was the disappointment of a life time. End your painful suffering and wastage of time, and get wow!

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I haven't played FFXI but many othe RPGs like Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate 2, Dungeon Siege and Nevwerwinter Nights and for 2 months now, World of Warcraft. I have to say that this game is just sooo good. At first I thought I'd go solo all the time too since I never enjoyed the multiplayer modes in the other games much. But when you play you find friend and a guild, it almost happens automatically. And the game is even more fun if you play it with people you already know a little bit. It's like chatting, telling jokes and killing monsters in between, which for me, is a new experience in gameplay. And since my little druid is lvl 36 I can soon participate in those raids, hehe...

More important is the fact that I can even play the game on the powerbook in my sig, although it doesn't match the minimum requirements. Ok, in Ironforge at the Auction House it gets slow and at raids with many people, but all in all it runs fluently.

So my advice, get WoW, hurray for WoW :D

11. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Great game!

I just got done playing about 4 hours of World of Warcraft and I have to say I'm amazed. The game is leaps and bounds ahead of FFXI in gameplay. The controls are easier, the game actually rewards you for what you do and gives you quests, and you actually level up! I am already level 6 and I never got bored along the way. Thanks for the recommendation everyone as it was right on! I am going to be saying goodbye to FFXI forever :)

12. xfactor11391 macrumors newbie

hey crispy i play WoW and i am in aggramar

what realm are u in and what is your name :confused:

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you must not have many friends on WoW, all of those classes get groups at 60 no problem. sure rogues are useless in molten core but how often are you raiding the molten core?

and to go from 1-60 without anyones help? why not just buy a console game and play by yourself.

yes the game play is fun, other than that i don't agree with anything this guy said. :eek: :eek:

final fantasy sucks (after they added the karaoke, "soccer", and 3 hours of CG video and 30 minutes of game play) i know the mmo is different but seriously...they have characters that look like turnips. go world of warcraft, don't worry about what class you pick, they are all fun and they are all useful.

14. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm on the Malygos server and my name in the game is Hanley. If you come over to that server send me a message! That goes for anyone who wants to say hello and hang out in the game :)

15. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Oh no I have plenty of friends I just am saying that you could if you wanted too. As for rogues I don't know about your realm but I have 5 that I know very well and none of them ever find any raids unless they make them. On my realm 20% of the population is a rogue. As for molten core we do that once a week.

16. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

WOW

I also play mostly by myself in WoW... level 35 and I haven't even gone into an instance with a group more than twice. When I start up an alt I might play differently, but for now I'm enjoying soloing with my hunter. I do belong to a guild, so when it's time for the end game I expect my hunter will be welcome, since I help out the others with farmed green items or engineering items (deadly blunderbuss...).

If I could find a console game with the incredible size and depth and variety of this game I would happily play it, but I think I would miss the randomness of a world full of real people. Even if I choose not to interact, it's fun to see people dancing in their underwear on a mailbox. Once in a while I get up there myself and recite some poetry or something...not something you can do in a regular game.

And after playing this game for 2 hours, I started sending all my FFXI gear to my wife's character...there's just no comparison. I'll miss my pumpkin hat, but my gnomish devices and permanent pet more than make up for it.

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it's just my opinion but solo grinding in WoW is the most tedious and boring aspect of it, not only do you have far more down time by yourself, but there is absolutely no tactic involved. you just need to make sure the mob is in your lvl range, and kill it =P. you can't kill elite bosses unless you have several levels on them or are a druid/shaman and you can't take out more than two or three mobs at time if you are decent.

i played both my characters through instances as much as possible, huge xp, tons of items drop, and you make lots of friends as well as LEARN HOW TO PLAY in teams. if you wait until the end game to start grouping with people, you're going to suck and nobody will group with you. your gear will probably be of low quality as well which will make you an easy target in pvp.

to AoWolf, i'm sry you are surrounded by so many rogues, i feel your pain, everyone wants to be a rogue cause they're awesome for PvP but are worthless pretty much in end game PvE. BOYCOTT THE ROGUES!

Group Gaming = An MMO's bread and butter.

It's like you're playing halo for the single player campaign, which is fun, but halo multi player is where it's at (bad example i know).