Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the 2008 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) beginning next week, MacRumors provides this Rumor Roundup as a summary of major rumors circulating around the Mac Web before the big event (previous roundups: 2007, 2006).

The 3G iPhone

The 3G iPhone will be announced at WWDC 2008. There really can be no doubt. It's certainly been no secret that the iPhone will eventually adopt 3G technology. When Steve Jobs first introduced the iPhone in January 2007, he specifically said (video clip) that Apple plans on making "3G phones and all sorts of amazing things in the future". Fast forward to the today (aka "the future") and there's been a growing mountain of evidence that we will see the 3G iPhone on Monday. In fact, as early as March we felt there was enough evidence to recommend people wait to buy an iPhone because of the likely June release.

Since March, we've heard "confirmation" from multiple sites (Gizmodo, GeekSugar) that June 9th is launch day. Add to that the fact that the Apple Store has been out of iPhones for a month as additional evidence that the iPhone revision is on its way. Apple has also been adding 3G preferences to their latest iPhone 2.0 beta software.

Meanwhile, AT&T has been kind enough to complete their 3G rollout by June and prohibit their staff from taking vacation between June 15th and July 12th in preparation for an "exciting Summer Promotional Launch".

Apple has also lined up carriers from around the globe, including Japan, Spain, Hong Kong, Australia and many more -- with some of the countries only having 3G networking support.

Read Full Article

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
I like the Gizmodo images. Not perfect, but perhaps on target anyway.

Alex Alexzander

juyoung

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Also including a...

The iPhone 2.0 SDK also includes a full Korean keyboard.

2.png

4.png

Source: Korean Mac Users Group

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
I was hoping for new MBPs with redesigned cases (removable hard drive). But the complete absence of rumours tells me that this isn't going to happen.

It'll be iPhone(s); .Mac (or whatever); OS X. As per the article.

SL

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
No Macbook / MacBook Pro mention?? :(

Not even a Mac hardware mention whatsoever.... :(

...I fear this may be a boring and unimpressive WWDC for non-iPhone users...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What about the weight and quantity of the items in the mystery containers? Doesn't that sound like midrange Mac?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Should be a good WWDC, can't wait! Though I doubt us brits will be getting the 3G iPhone so soon, I'd give us a week or 2 after the US launch.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Poor Mac. Not gettin' very much rumor-love. Your little cousin Oliver gets all the attention.

If a 3G iPhone isn't announced, that would give me a big laugh. There would be a huge hate on for Apple, for something they never announced was happening in the first place.

And even if it is announced, there will of course be complaints and rants about what it's perceived to be missing, all the obscure "deal breakers" that some wags decide make the new model completely useless to them, all because the rumors fly and people's expectations soar.

Which is business as usual, of course. A not-even-slightly-new phenomenon.

Ah, Apple. The world loves you, but can you ever win?

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Should be a good WWDC, can't wait! Though I doubt us brits will be getting the 3G iPhone so soon, I'd give us a week or 2 after the US launch.

I'm not so sure. There's a good chance that'll happen, but after the first version of things have gone on sale internationally, aren't newer versions usually released at the same time world wide?

Can't wait :D

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
No Front facing camera and lack of Video conferencing would be a strange thing for Europe - all mid-range phones up have this. Only top range phones have GPS though.

Personlly, I would much rather have GPS than Video conferencing.

k28

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Forgotten of Cinema Display

Seem like everyone forget that Cinema Display is long over due? :rolleyes:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Sucks that i'll be somewhere over the Atlantic whilst the keynote is going on and wont be able to keep up. Grrr. Either way i cant wait

Seem like everyone forget that Cinema Display is long over due? :rolleyes:

I think everyone knows they need an update...they're just used to Apple not updating them

carfreak12321

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Japan
When are they gonna start selling the iphone in Japan?

I no they have already announced it i was just wondering when it would go on the racks for consumers to buy!!:confused::apple:

Trekaddict

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
I am an independent dealer not associated with o2 retail stores or the Carphone crowd , next wednesday I am being wined and dined at a dealer forum by o2 IRL in a ***** star hotel with all expenses paid,

now I know this sort of thing is not uncommon in business but I can't help but think that something is going to be announced at the shindig as the timing is anything but coincidental :cool:

carfreak12321

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Japan
What about the weight and quantity of the items in the mystery containers? Doesn't that sound like midrange Mac?

Im pretty sure those are new cinema displays. According to the specs of the boxes it would be a safe bet that they are cinema displays:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.