Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2006 Rumor Roundup

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the 2006 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) quickly approaching, the Mac rumor scene has been buzzing with rumors and reports. As usual, MacRumors provides this Rumor Roundup as a summary of major rumors circulating around the Mac Web before the big event. In last year's WWDC roundup, we summarized the possibility of an Intel-based Mac. Readers should remember that it was only a year ago that Apple first announced they would be switching to the Intel platform.

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Apple has already announced that Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will be discussed and demonstrated at WWDC 2006. In fact, a recent slip-up on Apple's developers pages indicates that Apple will be distributing a Developer's Preview of Leopard at WWDC.

Detailed information about Leopard, however, has been very limited. Very few reliable sources of information have come forward. The earliest rumors pointed to Virtualization software to be built into Leopard, but this was flatly denied by Phil Schiller.

Job postings, Patent applications and Page 2 rumors point to a focus on updating Finder with extensive and improved integration with Spotlight. This has even been the topic of some presumed fake screenshots.

Perhaps the most corroborated claims are ones of Apple's iChat 4.0. Appleinsider claimed that iChat 4.0 will incorporate the ability to call traditional phone lines much like existing Voice over IP services, with similar reports elsewhere on the web.

While MacOSXRumors have offered a list of other possible features: virtual desktops, collaborative features, tabbed iChat, the reliability of this source is not entirely certain.

Mac Pro

The Intel-update to the PowerMac line remains highly anticipated. The first hints at a name-change came in January 2006 when Apple was revealed to have trademarked the term "Mac Pro". This was largely dismissed until Steve Jobs revealed the plan to change the name of the existing PowerBook and iBook lines to "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro". Meanwhile, we received early confirmation in May that the Mac Pro was indeed targeted for release at WWDC 2006.

In July, Appleinsider felt confident that Apple had chosen the Woodcrest (dual-core Xeon) process for use in the upcoming Mac Pros. While similar to the recently released Core 2 Duo (Conroe) chips in architecture, the Woodcrest processors allow for multi-processor configurations which have been a feature of the high end PowerMacs. Meanwhile, ThinkSecret believes that the Mac Pro will instead use the Core 2 Duo (Conroe) chips that were recently released. One Page 2 rumor claimed Apple would incorporate both Conroe and Woodcrest into different Mac Pro models, but the validity of this information has been cast in serious doubt.

Other features also rumored include substantially different enclosures, dual optical drives and an Intel-designed motherboard.

iPhone

Despite ongoing unsubstantiated claims that the iPhone will be released soon, there has been very little credible evidence that the iPhone will be seen at WWDC.

iPod

iPod rumors are more difficult to pin down, as iPod rumors have been circulating in full force for months. Rumors of a full video iPod started in early 2006, but peaked in late March due to Apple's impending 30th anniversary. Subsequent rumors of video iPod delays and difficult Hollywood negotiations have pushed off the release further, with one analyst believing September-October to be a more likely timeframe. In July, however, ThinkSecret had mentioned the possibility of iPod nano updates at WWDC.

Coverage

Steve Jobs will present the Keynote address starting at 10am Pacific Time on Monday August 7th. MacRumors.com will provide live text-transcript coverage of the event on MacRumorsLive.com. The MacRumorsLive system uses the latest web technologies to efficiently provide dynamic text updates.

Stay tuned, as last minute leaks are not unusual in the final moments before an event.

2. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Finally MR has put together a final rumor roundup...

3. macrumors member

I heard a rumour somewhere of an all metallic ipod nano, can anyone else tell me if they have heard anything similar.

4. macrumors regular

Lincoln

Me too

I am really looking forward to this year's WWDC - a chance to see Leopard and see how it stacks up against Vista.

Also hoping that the Mac Pro is finally realeased and to see who is right about the processor (Dual 2 Core Duo low end, Xeon CPU middle and Dual Xeon's high end?).

Finally, it would be nice if the Mac Pro's get the new Core 2 Duo chips.:D

I think that that we'll have to wait for Paris for the iMac update and new iPods.

Lets see what we get.:rolleyes:

Edited bad typing

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors newbie

excited

cant wait... merom book pros cmon!!!!

7. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Uh...I hope so. If not, I'll be up at midnight getting ready to watch the keynote. I don't think I'd be worth much at work the next day.

Of course, I won't be worth much watching it at 10 am on Monday either.:D

8. macrumors 65816

treblah

9. macrumors member

The rumor that we'd see new nanos at WWDC was first written about by ThinkSecret. They've recently gone back on their claim and suggestted a Setember timeframe.

Personally, I highly doubt we'll see ANY iPod/iTunes updates here... WWDC is historically a developer/pro event and not a consumer event. Plus, Apple is still clearing inventory by giving away nanos to college students who purchase a Mac (ends October 16th). I feel like any new iPods will get their own special event, in the October to November timeframe.

My Predictions for WWDC

Headliners:
    - Leopard Preview (VMware Demo?)
    - Mac Pro (Quad-core Xenon?)
    - Cinema Display Updates (iSight? +30"?)
    - "One More Thing..." (Something Unexpected)

Without much fanfare:
    - Core 2 Duo Updates (MacBook Pro? iMac?)
    - Xserve Updates (Quad-core Xenon?)

10. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Missing Several Rumors

This roundup is missing:

*New Cinema Displays with iSight - Widely Anticipated
    *xServe - Almost definitely in my opinion, because without these, Steve cannot say that "the transition is complete".
    *"Maps" application in Leopard - according to AppleInsider

11. macrumors regular

Lincoln

Watching it next day

I'll have to wait and hope that there will be a Quicktime Stream of the keynote. It'll be on very late here in the UK so I have taken the next morning off from work to watch it Tuesday morning.

That's pretty sad of me.:eek:

I'm also not going to see what's released before I watch the keynote (I don't like to watch the making of a film before I see the film and this is similar to that). I just hope that the Quicktime Apple Channel has a link to it otherwise I'll have to visit one of t news/rumor sites to find the link.:(

12. macrumors P6

Peace

There is no way in the world Apple will be putting iSights in the Cinema Displays.

xServe will be updated at WWDC2006.Thats a given.
    OS 10.4.7 Server sold with each new xServe.
    There will be no standalone DVD sold.

13. macrumors 68030

I can't wait for Monday. I'll be working that day, so I am going to try to watch the keynote before reading any updates. I even have the Quicktime Events page bookmarked. :D I figured I would be more surprised by taking this route.

This is the first WWDC I'm really looking forward to, mainly because of what we're going to see... Leopard in action! :D

Edit: Peace, that's not entirely true. None of us know whether Apple will release Cinema Displays with iSights built-in. I'd say it is unlikely, but you never know until it actually happens.

14. macrumors P6

Peace

Just an opinion p0intblank.We all have em :)

15. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Well iSight or no, there needs to be an update anyway. The Mac Pro will have Front Row, and how will you control it by remote if you're meant to keep it under your desk? The new Cinema Displays need an IR "extender".

Besides, I still think Apple WOULD love to include an iSight in their displays.

16. macrumors 65816

treblah

This means not to hammer the server with constant browser refreshes! Thank you in advance for not making it impossible for others to connect. :)

17. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me excited too! :)

I've made plans with some ex-colleagues to follow the event live using the text-based coverage made available.

Let me thank MacRumors : Live already!

It'll be 6 pm over here, so we'll be ready with some pizzas and cokes! ;)

Then once I get home a couple of hours later, I can watch the stream! :cool:

18. macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

Monday morning.... so good to me...

Well, I'll be miles away of internet conectoins, so maybe only tuesday to know something....

19. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

20. macrumors member

blakbyrd

Reposting my prediction from another thread:
    • Mac Pro and updated MacBook Pro
    • Intel-based Xserve
    • Preview of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)
    • Update on iTunes and iPod sales (and Nike promotion)
    • Updated iTunes and Quicktime
    Maybe:
    • Updated iPod product
    • New product

I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. :D

21. macrumors P6

Peace

Just another opinion mind you.But..:)

IR will be in the top of the MacPro and Apple will be selling a new USB IR extender.An Apple one.For folks that have the previous rev. Cinema Displays.

22. macrumors 6502a

Keep your Mac UNDER your desk?!?! Blasphemy!! :D

23. macrumors newbie

gomakeitreal

what is the link for the QT page? :p

24. macrumors regular

25. macrumors 65816

treblah