Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
amols said:
No Macbook Pros?? I hope there won't be any. My MBP gets to stay top of the line for few more weeks ;)

This kind of thinking is truly lame, just buy a Dell and go for penis enlargement surgury with the money you saved. No one will know the difference.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
generik said:
This kind of thinking is truly lame, just buy a Dell and go for penis enlargement surgury with the money you saved. No one will know the difference.

Not lame. Childish. I mean seriously. Is your (Generic your.) MBP any slower the day after they announce Core 2 MBPs? I swear to god it's almost as if people's lives are so incomplete that they need to feel special by having the top of the dog pile hardware. I received my MBP on Feb 21st at 10:30AM. Apple can do whatever they want. I'll still be enjoying my Mac at the same level I did on the 21st.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
aafuss1 said:
My Predictions:

Mac Pro:
-Fastest pro Mac ever shipped
-Hard drives, BTO 750gb, perpendicular recording
-New displays with HDMI, iSight & IR, even brighter
-Wireless-WiMax or 802.11n-whatever's ready first, otherwise BT 2.0+EDR, AE
-Multiple graphics card in a SLI/Crossfire like mode for extremely powerful graphics and stereo 3D, Quadro FX5500 and maybe also first Mac to be supported by the new Quadro Plex. 256MB std, 512MB BTO
-HD Audio

Isight on displays built-in but I only want that with higher resolution with Auto Focus ability.

> New displays with a thinner bezel around the LCD; higher contrast ratio 1200:1 minimum; denser pixel count, DLP technology with LEDs or with Zenon technology for the DLP; but more richer BLACK!

> BTO Bluetooth 2.0+EDR has been on the PowerBooks for at least 2 generations & on the MB+MBP!

> WiMax although sweet its long away; HUGE battery gobbler. 2 years minimum.

> I'd love for the MacBookPRO lineup to be more PRO with DUAL HDD configuration but without creating more heat.

> THe MBP should be equal in computing & graphical performance as the cheapest MacPro!

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Recap of last twelve months. "We've got plenty of cool new products to release over the next few months that we're really excited about and we hope you will be too."
Leopard. "We've fixed the Finder. Boom!"
Mac Pro. "The fastest personal computer ever!"
XServe (possibly). "Already being installed at Virginia Tech."
"See you soon!"

<me fumbles for credit card to order Mac Pro>

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Predictions

MacBegginer and MacBookBeginner: Enough of this "Pro" stuff, the MacBeginner will be an old beige Performas with a Duo core shoved in there, to help the recycling effort. The MacBookBeginner will be an old 1400c, as they had a few dozen still laying about.

MacCon: A cardboard box with both an Apple and "Intel Inside" logo on the front, a blank CD stuck in the side, and a hole in the top (simulated iSight for your friends). Will still be superior to anything Dell has.

iPod Newton: Radical case design redesign for the iPod where it will now survive a fall from an apple tree.

XBox Server: Microsoft and Apple join forces again. X-box controls included with every XServer, but because it's Microsoft, it locks up more frequently. Server reliability plummets, but the help desk techs have a LOT of fun.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
iTunes

What about TV Show downloads in the UK? Pleeeeaaaase!!! :rolleyes:

Looking foward to these Mac Pros though, my Dad is definatley going to buy one. :D

Thanks, Joe.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo - Merom vs Yonah

MBP owners don't need to worry yet. AnandTech

"The biggest performance gains are associated with 3D rendering and media encoding tasks. While Core 2 Duo does look nice, as long as you've got a good notebook today you'll probably want to wait until Santa Rosa before upgrading (at the earliest). With Santa Rosa, clock speeds will go up slightly but more importantly we'll get access to a faster FSB. Unfortunately a side-effect of keeping Core 2 Duo fed with a faster FSB is that while performance may go up, battery life may go down. For Apple users this means that early adopters of the new MacBook or MacBook Pro won't be too pressured to upgrade again by the end of this year. Of course Apple has this way of making incremental changes irresistible."

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Homy said:
MBP owners don't need to worry yet. AnandTech

"The biggest performance gains are associated with 3D rendering and media encoding tasks. While Core 2 Duo does look nice, as long as you've got a good notebook today you'll probably want to wait until Santa Rosa before upgrading (at the earliest). With Santa Rosa, clock speeds will go up slightly but more importantly we'll get access to a faster FSB. Unfortunately a side-effect of keeping Core 2 Duo fed with a faster FSB is that while performance may go up, battery life may go down. For Apple users this means that early adopters of the new MacBook or MacBook Pro won't be too pressured to upgrade again by the end of this year. Of course Apple has this way of making incremental changes irresistible."

Thats great news. I was wondering if a 6 week old machine was going to be left in the dust by the new chips. Santa Rosa april 2007?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
aswitcher said:
Thats great news. I was wondering if a 6 week old machine was going to be left in the dust by the new chips. Santa Rosa april 2007?

Another sad person who is worried about their machines not being top of the line :-\

Its a computer, you should expect your machine to be superceded by another model in a matter of weeks / months.

Apple are a business and not to make you feel, somehow, superior due to your computer.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
What would I like to see at WWDC? For Jobs to say "we've taken a hard look at the labor practices of our Shanghai facility and what's happened to quality control since we started manufacturing our products in China and decided that enough is enough. We're moving our manufacturing to a variety of locales on the Pacific Rim -- mostly Taiwan and Malaysia -- and increasing prices 10 percent across the board to reflect the higher costs. We're sorry about the price hike, but Apple isn't Apple when it encourages slave labor and creates beautiful products that consistently fall apart."

jubjub

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Sweden
ChickenSwartz said:
Does anyone think the recent "problems" at Apple are going to have any effect on what happens Monday.

Story: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/05/BUGAHKBK3H1.DTL

If there are products that are they "maybe" list, this might put them on the "go" list. Big news pushes stock prices up and pushes the "problem" stories on page 2.

You might be right..

Other than that I find it amusing that "One more thing" is now a mainstream thing.

Attachments

• jobs.jpg
    jobs.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 160

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
Not lame. Childish. I mean seriously. Is your (Generic your.) MBP any slower the day after they announce Core 2 MBPs? I swear to god it's almost as if people's lives are so incomplete that they need to feel special by having the top of the dog pile hardware. I received my MBP on Feb 21st at 10:30AM. Apple can do whatever they want. I'll still be enjoying my Mac at the same level I did on the 21st.

Well...I've used and ENJOYED iMac G4 for five years which is still going strong by the way. I just can't help but wonder how stupid and childish it is to expect that Apple will upgrade it already awesome MBP. The Merom CPU has very minor perforformance benefit over Yonah until Santa Rosa is out next year. It has double the L2 catch, 140M more transistors and 3 Watt/hour more cons (34W/H) than Yonah (31W/H). Conroe with faster FSB is a totally different story. So I personally have nothing against those poor souls expecting new notebooks but sympothy.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
1 day away from the all new CUBE!:) If it happens iam buying. missed the first cube. Powermac & mini are nice but we need something inbetween not a all in one. Its time for computers with easily removable drives, upgradeable GPU's and not the size of luggage. My prediction:D The Cube squared.:)

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
nothing big, just a...

2 gig shuffle, same head amp out, same package, just 2 gigs and certainty that apple won't replace it with nano... or in september, october, november when the new nano comes out, let it have the same or upgraded shuffle head amp out.

for me, no new mac till next year at earliest so... bother it all, i will share in all of my macrumors' mates excitement!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
maverick18x said:
Personally, I highly doubt we'll see ANY iPod/iTunes updates here... WWDC is historically a developer/pro event and not a consumer event.

Well, if the rumors of the "full-screen, touch-screen iPod" are true, maybe Apple will open it to developers and introduce a "make your own apps and games for the iPod" dev. kit, which would make sense at a WWDC.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
NO New enclosures for Mac Pro ??

If you look at the banner pictures from WWDC 2006 you can see that the PowerMac / Mac Pro still lookes the same ...

Does this mean that the Mac Pro will look like the PowerMac or that there wont be any release of Mac Pro at the WWDC 2006 ... ?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Tussen69 said:
If you look at the banner pictures from WWDC 2006 you can see that the PowerMac / Mac Pro still lookes the same ...

Does this mean that the Mac Pro will look like the PowerMac or that there wont be any release of Mac Pro at the WWDC 2006 ... ?

No, that just means that if you'd been looking at hthe other threads, you'd know that there is *nothing* new on the banner- they won't be spoiling any of the stevenote's surprises! Apple isn't dumb.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
amols said:
Well...I've used and ENJOYED iMac G4 for five years which is still going strong by the way. I just can't help but wonder how stupid and childish it is to expect that Apple will upgrade it already awesome MBP. The Merom CPU has very minor perforformance benefit over Yonah until Santa Rosa is out next year. It has double the L2 catch, 140M more transistors and 3 Watt/hour more cons (34W/H) than Yonah (31W/H). Conroe with faster FSB is a totally different story. So I personally have nothing against those poor souls expecting new notebooks but sympothy.

The benchmarks show it actually has better performance with almost exactly the same battery life.

I'm positive Apple will go merom ASAP simply because their competition will, and it is a 64 bit chip.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Almost done packing for the trip to WWDC :D ...it is going to be a busy show, just to many must attend session for the work I do... but it is going to be fun and informative as usual.

I think we are going to get some nice stuff in 10.5 (lot of to be announced sessions still on the calendar for WWDC... in 2004 those got filled in with things like CoreData, CoreImage, CoreVideo, Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.).

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
My predictions:

MacPro: quad woodcrest @ 3GHz, 1GB ram standard, two high speed video card slots, ATI x1900, or NVIDIA 7950GX2, for first time, ATI FireGL boards available as BTO.
XServe: dual woodcrest, larger hard drives
Airport: "pre-n" announced, ships on new MacPros, available in 6 weeks for standalone devices, upgradable when standard is formalized
Leopard: preview, all of OS now 64bit able, still runs on 32bit machines. Takes full advantage of GPU. The usual slew of apps updated.
XCode: updated to 3.0, API for project files made available, various "features" (ie bugs) fixed

Not happening:
iPods, iPhone

New displays and updated "pro" apps will happen at NAB in April. However Steve may announce that all Pro apps are now universal apps. Also, he will hold over the quad G5 in the line-up until Adode has all of their apps universal.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
puckhead193 said:
all i care about is an updated iMac...... i guess tomarrow i will find out.

Why would Apple release an updated consumer product at a developer show?

Roll on tomarrow [sic].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.