Worm uses QuickTime to spread on MySpace

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Worm uses QuickTime to spread on MySpace
    Description:: According to numerous reports, a rapidly-spreading malicious worm is infecting MySpace.com profiles. The worm author is exploiting a MySpace and JavaScript vulnerability found in Apple's QuickTime. When an infected movie is played, the worm apparently adds links to phishing web sites to the user's profile. These sites attempt to trick users into disclosing personal security information, such as log-ins and passwords.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

that sucks. good thing i dispise myspace

3. macrumors member

My Space misery

I have seen way to many bad bands thanks to my wifes involvement in my space. I have recently posted some videos on you tube about this situation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5is8gNGMrA

4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The problem seems to be MySpace's fault, although a feature of QuickTime is used.

Will MySpace have to figure out how to automate a cleanup of the infected profile pages?

5. macrumors 6502a

Yeah.

Fix yo shizzle Tom!!! :p

6. Moderator emeritus

You're the closest in distance to Tom, since he's in Sta. Monica. Why don't you explain it to him? Perhaps, you'd have luck in getting him to drop Microsoft-oriented programming and to instead embrace web standards.

7. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I went to a PTA meeting at school tonite, and the dean of discipline said the #1 problem lately has been scuffles breaking out among students because of what one of them said about another on their myspace pages. And these students are under 14 - not supposed to be eligible to join myspace yet. Another issue I'll have to bring up!