Worms 3D: Good Sequel to a Classic Game

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 14, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, a new Worms game! I spent countless hours playing the originals - great games! $30 isn't too bad either. Now all someone needs to do is release a completely revamped and updated Scorched Earth - that was another one of my classic favorites. :cool:

3. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Its the end of 2005 and Apple users are still two years behind the game releases for PC users. I can't wait for the Intel switch...things are gonna change.

4. macrumors P6

~Shard~

2 years, huh? Shows how much I pay attention to "new" games these days.. :eek: ;) Still though, if it's new to me... :D

5. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uggg I played Worms 3D on PC a year or so ago, it's dissapointing. When taken into the 3D the game really loses it's charm.

6. macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's not bad on a proper video game system. For some reason, 2D felt more natural on a computer than this does. I played it a couple years ago on the Gamecube and it was a bit more fun. It felt smooth. The hardest part was getting accustomed to the 3D interface.

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Really? Hmm, good to know. I suppose I can see what you mean - there are some classic side scrollers which I love, and newer 3D version of them aren't quite the same. :)

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

There is a Scorched Earth 3D floating around. I had it running on the powerbook for like a day once. It runs in X-Windows, if that helps.

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I remember seeing that as well, but I think even that version is several years old now. A totally new, revamped one would be good - yet there is something timeless about the original. :) :cool:

10. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Why are we looking at a review of a game that came out in the first half of 2004? :confused:

11. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Because MacBytes said so??? :confused: It's a new post... :eek: ;)

12. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Because this review was written or at least posted by

and the port to OSX is new, so it is good to see a contemporary review of a "new" game.

13. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Was the 2004 version for OS 9 or something? :eek:

14. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Damn.

Good call.

I didn't even bother to check Feral's site earlier today, but I seem to recall this being posted on MacBytes when it was released back in August '04. Must have been a slow news day since this review got posted.

15. macrumors 68020

The port to OS X is "new" only if you consider a year old to be "new". There's no reason for this to be news even on the Mac, but anyway, yes, it's definitely a fun game and anyone who liked Worms and takes a few minutes to adjust to 3D would probably like it. Actually, anyone who likes silly but fun games in general would probably like it. I was quite happy with how much of the feel of Worms 2D survives intact, and there are quite a few new things to do as well. Plus it's a great port; they took the time to spiff up some of the graphics so that it actually looks a little better than the PC version instead of just bringing it over with no changes.

The only thing I didn't much care for was how often worms are killed by knocking them into the water; blowing them up in other ways is more entertaining. So I was happy to hear the developers acknowledge "too many water deaths" and how they're going to fix it for the next game. Which hopefully will be ported as well.

--Eric

16. macrumors 65816

Seasought

I loved Worms: Armageddon (2D version)...I have to agree though; seems like a transition into 3D somehow kills the charm of the game.

17. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree - sometimes simplicity (i.e. 2D vs. 3D) has its benefits. :)