worn down ibook - What is it worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ectocooler, Jan 18, 2004.

1. ectocooler macrumors member

Apr 17, 2003
    Hey everyone :)

I've been using an ibook for the past year and a half or so, and its becoming pretty worn down. I wanted to know what you all thought it would be worth. Heres the stats:

700mhz g3
    256mb of ram
    combo drive
    14" screen
    airport card inside

now heres everything thats wrong with it:
    -the ethernet jack no longer works, at all. apple says it will require a whole new logic board to fix it.
    -the input for the power cable doesnt hold the cable in all that well, and the cable comes out too easy.
    -the screen has a very very small knick in it, about the size of 2 pixels together. it looks like a small piece of dust is on the screen that wont come off.

i'd like to sell it, but i'm not sure who would want it in its current condition. can anyone tell me what they think its worth? is it not worth it to sell it? should i just keep it as a spare mac?

2. ectocooler thread starter macrumors member

Apr 17, 2003
  3. yoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2003
    In the Bowels of the Cosmos

based on ebay prices last week. (last time I checked)
    Old G3 iBooks were going around $450-$700

Being Optimistic:

So lets say average price around $650 if it was in good condition. Minus $150-200 for damage.

That's around $450-$500. Being Optimistic. I personally would keep it. Its always nice to have another Mac around. But if you want to upgrade and short on cash try selling it and see what you get.