Worried about folding on an iMac rev C 20".

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by howesey, Jan 24, 2006.

1. howesey macrumors 6502a

I have been folding since 2000, however I have yet to run F@H for long on my iMac. Reason being, CPU temps reach 85C. Is this safe for my Mac? I feel that at these temperatures I will need to take out an extended Apple Care warranty. :confused:

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

if u feel it is unsafe, then don't do it. we would love to have your help, but if you feel it is at the expense of your machine, then your machine is more important

i only fold on machines i dont own for the same reasons you stated

3. howesey thread starter macrumors 6502a

My other machines fold, but that's cause they are at 36C and -22C.

iMacs are scary.

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I highly doubt that folding or any processor intensive task will void your warranty, apple tests these machines before they release them and if using 100% of the CPU voids you warranty or damages the machine then I dont think apple would be selling them. Remember apple hardware isint stupid, if it gets too hot it will speed up the fans, if it gets hotter it will turn off also I would think they would put in a disclaimer by the Highest Performance setting. If you are that worried about it then you should set your processor to 'Reduced'

5. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

Temperature

85°C seems high, I have a 17 and a 20 and they fold 24/7 the CPU runs between 145°F and 160°F, which is about 72°C. What's your ambient temperature and what do you use to get the CPU temperature?

If it really runs that hot, I'd be careful too.