Worried about installing RAM onto Macbook again

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maytsang, Jul 10, 2006.

1. maytsang macrumors newbie

May 28, 2006
    When installing 2GB of RAM onto my first MacBook, one of the levers broke and would not eject the RAM.

I took it to the Apple store and they told me that the MacBook had faulty levers so Apple sent me a new Macbook.

I received my new MacBook today and i'm really worried that the same thing may happen again with this MacBook. I don't think I am able to wait another week for the third MacBook to arrive if it does happen.

Although Apple said that I was doing everything correctly when installing the RAM, has anyone installed RAM onto their MacBook and do you have any tips installing it?

I thought about only removing one factory RAM at a time so that I know how far the new RAM has to go into the slot.

There seem to be quite a few Macbooks with faulty levers.
  2. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm not sure if it's actually the lever that is the issue. I think the slots aren't quite wide enough to handle the 1GB stick which has chips on both sides and is therefore slightly thicker than the stock ram (256).

I found the ram slot nearest to the HDD was the most difficult to get in (my finger tips were bruised for a week). What I did was pushed it in straight on then used the lever slightly to loosen it a bit. Then placing a finger tip either side of the ram I jiggled (by pressing from one side to the other) the ram into place. It still took quite a lot of force but you just got to do it to get it in it seems.
  3. farqueue macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006
    my 14yr old son did it for me.. got it 1st time right.

4. giantquiet macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Sorry for hijacking your other thread a bit, where I recounted my own experience with this same problem. I made it through the repair and went through the same fears as you did. Now I have 2 Gb installed and I am relieved.

I recommend you try the JetRAM/Transcend memory from Fry's Electronics if possible, or any other RAM that is recommended for Macs, or reputed to be on the thin side. The JetRam was a lot easier to get in and I wonder if that made the difference? I heard this from other people with similar problems.

Mine is working fine now. I got an RMA for the G.Skill RAM that was so difficult to get in before.

Good luck.