Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
What do you think is the worse music era has been?
Even though I really like Guns n roses I'd have to say the worst era would be the 80s. The 80s pop was the worst think on the planet - so annoying!.

The 70s wasn't great. Aerosmith was awesome but the rest was just strange men with beards and an acoustic guitar.

10s is really bad because of puff like bieber

I'd say though all round the best was 90s with oasis and other stuff.

Here is the list

1. 90's
2. 00s
3. 70s
4. 60s
5. 10s
6. 80s

Last edited:

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
The best was the 70s, and there's also something nostalgic about the new wave and synth-pop of the 80s. I'm never gonna give that up in full ;-)

The worst decade in music was the 90s. I can't believe that people actually liked all the nonsensical drivel that came from Mariah Carey, Oasis and Boyz II Men. There were many ***tty things about the 90s, and the music ain't no exception at all.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
70s and 60s ahead of everything in my opinion. 90s had some good stuff but isn't up there with those two.

80s were the worst, followed closely by 2000+. pop music today is ****.

Reactions: vkd and Paul Sharp

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I wish I was alive late 60's and 70's, that was the golden age of rock music. Aside from a few good bands for the most part from 1996 until now the music just sucks.

Of all the current bands Shinedown is probably my favorite.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Personally love the 50's for Jazz. The 60's for Motown, The British Invasion, Acid Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, and Jazz. The 70's for Classic Rock, Fusion, Jazz, and Jamaican Reggae. I hated the 80's except for The Police and a few others. The 90's for the Alternative scene. I don't like anything after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: vkd

King Alekay

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
90's and up... rap. I'm the only one here who likes rap aren't I? I scrolled down a bit and just saw everybody saying like 80's and 70's etc. (old people music :))

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
I listen to mainly bands from the past 10 or 15 years. I don't really care about the other decades of music, because I don't really like them.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Best 60's, 80's and some of the stuff from the 70's

Worst is from mid 90's onwards, some ok but mostly bad

Probably get flamed for this, but my main interest with music died when Vinyl did, its now just something I listen to in the background

iSaint

macrumors 603
80s is the best and the worst. I have two older brothers, so the 70s had a big influence on me with AM rock as well as great R&B acts. Elton John, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, America...Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and the Pips.

I grew up in the 80s, so I'm nostalgic for it. The Cure still has a strong following. Paul Westerberg is one of great singer/songwriters of his time. Elvis Costello.

This Disney-made crap of today has no talent at all.

FWIW one of my favorite bands(duo) is the Indigo Girls. Honest, true-to-life lyrics that have transcended their 25 year career.

edit: don't get me started on country music.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
90's and up... rap. I'm the only one here who likes rap aren't I? I scrolled down a bit and just saw everybody saying like 80's and 70's etc. (old people music :))

No, you're not alone! To me, 90's G-Funk is the greatest music of all time. I don't like today's popular rap, though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What do you think is the worse music era has been?

Interesting thread.

However, two things detract from it; firstly, your dogmatic tone, and above all, your disgusting description of Justin Bieber as a "****" is deeply distasteful and profoundly offensive. If you don't care for his music, fine, just say so. It is not necessary to hurl such abuse at him as a person.

As it happens, I don't much care for his music myself; but then, I don't much care for the very idea of a pre-packaged act designed to appeal to a certain pre-determined demographic. The old idea of individuals murdering their guitar in their parents' garage while sometimes, out of the process, crafting and creating sublime music, seems to me, to be a bit better, if less controllable from the perspective of the marketing men.

Re the music, I like a lot of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. There are individual hits from the 90s which I like very much, and very little after that. It may be as much a matter of age as of musical taste.

I should also add that I like quite a lot of music that predates the 60s; a lot of classical, some baroque, and quite a lot of jazz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LizKat

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
90s. My iTunes library mostly contains music from that era and very little from others.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Being a hip hop fan the 80s was great for me. Classic after classic album came out. And MJ was in his prime too. The early 90s had lots of great hip hop too. Now speaking of music in general i dont listen to the radio anymore (other than sports coverage) as its all overproduced pop music that has no identity. Most of the tracks that come out could be by any artist because most of them dont have a unique sound (or write their own material). They just buy tracks from the hottest producers about.

The latest Chris Brown or Katy Perry track could easily be an Usher or Beyonce one instead. The artists are interchangeable.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Ravaroo

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
feels like Canada South
80s is the best and the worst.
I grew up in the 80s, so I'm nostalgic for it. The Cure still has a strong following. Paul Westerberg is one of great singer/songwriters of his time. Elvis Costello.

+1:)

So many positive movements in the 80's with just as many (if not more) negative trends.
pros: Minneapolis scene (Replacements, Soul Asylum, Husker Du.. hell, even Prince)
the Cure, most definitely
Brian Eno & David Byrne pioneering midi with "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts"
Golden age of heavy metal with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc.
Run DMC putting rap on the map (not my favorite style of music, but I do respect it's roots)
Punk / Skaterock (with the help of Thrasher mag, Flipside, and Maximum Rock n Roll promoting it) DIY bands that thrived without any videos or airplay since this was before the internet, afterall

Cons: Synth drums in every pop song:mad:
Hair metal/ Glam rock with their formulaic song writing, copycat image, and awful music videos
the advent of the modern boy bands (NKOTB.. really?)
Celine Dion (ugh)
Kenny G .. nuff said

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like a tiny bit of music from the 60's, a tiny bit of music from the 70's, a tiny bit of music from the 80's, a tiny bit of music from the 90's and not much at all beyond that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.