Worst Apple Peripheral Yet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cyberdogl2, Sep 12, 2006.

1. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    I thought .Mac would somehow be great-ified today.* Didn't happen.* It still continues to be the worst deal ever.* Discuss
  2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    What's wrong with it? I was thinking of getting it myself because at christmas I'll have two Macs.

Care to explain why you don't like it?
  3. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    agreed. I have yet i use any .Mac features. Good thing it expired the other day:D
  4. cyberdogl2 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    words in my mouth. i never said i didn't like it. i said it was a bad deal.* i have an account that's expiring in about three weeks. i just wish.... i could get.... more....???* Who wouldn't want more?* Can you honestly say $99 dollars retail is the SAME 'fairness' as $99 dollars it costed two years ago?* Keep in mind the internet has changed much in two years, so Either we should be getting more for the same price or a price reduction.
  5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    There's really no point to it unless you have two Macs. You can get storage, web hosting, e-mail, etc. somewhere else for much less.
  6. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    Are you a school teacher or what?
    Is there no moderation in place to remove pointless threads like this one?
  7. cyberdogl2 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    i'm not a schoolteacher. i'm sorry you're upset about this thread enough to post about it.

Maybe you can create a post about how unhappy you are with my comment..... just like how I created a post to express how I feel about .Mac
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Wow, this is a random, flamey thread. :( Studying habits aside, though why did anyone expect .Mac announcements today? Granted that it could really stand to be improved.
  9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA

Yup, .Mac is stupid and terrible. Almost everything it provides can be gotten for free from other services. And they do a better job.
  10. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    No-one is forced to use .Mac!

If you don't like it don't use it!
  11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    mr. negative nancy doesn't like it when we discuss products

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I just get .Mac on eBay, where I can usually find it for less than $40. For that price it's worth it to me. I agree that $99 is too much for me.
  13. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

Not at all. I just find it odd that people will bitch about products (especially subscription based) and continue to use it and moan about it and point out there's better, free solutions out there!
  14. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    I've used .mac since the beginning and the free apps before that - I admit in recent times .mac seems to have been neglected a bit by Apple.

For example, we use to get free audio (to use in iMovie projects), updated templates with older homepage setup, and I did like the old virus app before it disappeared (as it just made me feel better. There were also free games here and there, and apps like stickies, circusponies notebook to make it sweet along the way.

All of that seems to have stopped though - the sweeter bits. However I use .mac everyday and I would be lost without it:

- My automated scheduled daily backup of all my modified work - if someone steals my desktop or fire etc - I have not lost my work.
    - iDisk, invaluable at uni when working on PC's - my work is always one click away - and via a password is always available to my supervisors via the apple servers
    - iCal access anywhere (I don't have a portable at this point)

- that oh so cool ....@mac email address is useless to me - as way too much mail goes missing / undelivered and unsent. This is a known problem with apple (and not just with me) but they are silent on the fixes - so I no longer use this email address - too risky and it's cost me a bit already in missed emails. Who knows just how many emails I didn't ever get.
    - probably a bit pricey - but it has come down in price for Australian users - I paid (from memory) closer to $200.00 for the first subscription.

It isn't perfect - but I couldn't be productive without it - and I feel I get more out of my apple apps with it - as I tend to use the apple suite of apps to within an inch of their lives.