Worst gift ever.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kobushi, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

What's the worst gift you've ever received/given?

I suppose mine would be have to be a lottery ticket (received). I'm mean....they don't really expect you to win, do they? What kind of nightmare would that be? "Yeah, I remember giving you that ticket. What? $200 million?. Huh. What'd you get me again?....Oh, right that coffee mug. Um....no chance of that skyrocketing in value is there?"

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Hm
    I dunno.
    I've liked everything I've been gifted with, because of the thought that went into it, blablabla. (I <3 my friends and family)

umm... socks?
    oo!
    a Dell!

hehe.
    :)

or plane tickets to NOT chicago? :p

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, but there's a better than 1 in 14,000,000 chance that the mug will actually hold water.

My worst: Probably when I was a vegetarian and my boss gave me a ham...

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Re-gifted box of candles with the name of the original recipient still inside. I shall say no more.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Worst gift I've ever received? Seriously?

This.

From a senior colleague who thought it was a suitable gift for managing and completing an important project... it was extremely hard to grit my teeth and say thank-you.

Less than an hour later, it went straight into a public bin on the way home.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We went to a wedding recently where all the bridal favours included a lottery ticket. Granted, no one won millions but there were a few of us who won tenners – myself included. It bought us tea the next day, so we weren't complaining...

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Probably an office joke. You know how those go. You shoulda given it away to some kid. Turn lemons into lemonade as my mum always tells me.

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That was eminently trashworthy. My sister's birthday is on Christmas and when she was about 18 she was given a used blouse that was ripped. That so-called present came from an aunt ... talk about crust!

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I used to get stuff from my wife for Christmas that didn't fit. That way she took them back and kept the money.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

:p

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Lol this thread reminded me of a commercial recently that has a guy getting a gift from an ex, and he passes the gift on to his current girlfriend. When the current girlfriend opens the box it's a perfume bottle that says "Genital Herpes" across it. Now that would be a crappy gift! :cool:

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Pants.

When I was about 10 my aunt gave me three pairs of pants for Christmas. Rrrrrrubish. :p

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I've could never rate any gift given to me so ungratefully. I've always appreciated the fact that someone thought about me and took the time and expense to bother getting me a gift. After all receiving a gift in any circumstance isn't a right.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Last Christmas my mother gave me a "DRINKING GAME" board game, I don't drink! :) Who cares though, still love the parental units!

15. Kobushi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Hee hee. My Dad did a variation of that with my Mom. He would get her stuff that she would never use, only to keep it for himself. One year she got a router. (she generally has trouble with screwdrivers)

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

how do pants figure in that?

17. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    An ex-girlfriend bought me a "Customized" expensive Snowboarding teddy bear because she though i'd like it since i snowboard. It was the first and only time in my life i had a hard time faking my enjoy over a gift. I usually am quite good at, this is the same girlfriend that bought two of my favorite gifts i have ever gotten from anyone(2 highly detailed wooden models of WWII bombers) which more than outweighed the bad gift from one of our Christmas together.

18. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I got a pair of silk boxers from my grandmother.

Two reasons I didn't like them:

A.) My grandma bought my underwear!
    B.) Silk... promotes "slippage"

19. JohnEZ macrumors member

Well there was the year I got my mom a wire whisk for her birthday... I don't think that went over too well.

Well what can I say? All our other whisks were flimsy pieces of crap... :p

-John

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And some gifts didn't come from the heart at all....

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The gift from God of pleasing women. It just gets harder and harder to do with all these women knocking on my door. It's like: "c'mon people! I've got enough love for you all, but its 3AM and I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!" *sigh*

Other than that..the worst gift I've ever seen given was a used carmel apple maker to my sister from her RICH in-laws after they themselves went to New Yokr for a week and bought the wife a REAL fur coat. God, I hate them. I really, really wish horrible things on these people. Cynical, uncaring, devious, downright horrible people.

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My brother gave me an empty one-gallon gas can and a cheap tire pressure gauge one year, and a regular ol' baseball the next. No clue at all....:rolleyes:

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It had to be An American Life : The Autobiography by Ronald Reagan

Promptly re-gifted to a Gingrich staffer I knew at the time....:)

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My sister (who is five years older than I) asked me on my 11th birthday if I felt like going to a local bookstore. She said I could pick out a book as my gift.

I knew price would be an issue so I found a book I thought I'd like and it came up around $4. I showed her my choice, she smiled, and said, "Great, now go pay for it. You owe me money."

:(

25. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Same here. A certain relative of mine who should have been Gamblers Anonymous years ago just assumed that everyone plays the lottery. As if that weren't enough the ticket was part of a pool with other people who were given the same gift. So even on the microscopic chance that I had won, I would have had to share it with an unknown number of total strangers.

Since that "gift," I've never complained about getting socks.